Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poolprof

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Decatur, IL. USA
OKAY Ive used the directions Ive seen here:

1, go to Mac HD
2, System
3, Library
4, Core Services
5, Right Click Dock, show package contents, contents, resources
6, Place your own finder .png's here (finder.png and finder@x2.png)
7, Open terminal type "killall Dock"
8, Done

PS. Do the same for Trash icons

And NOW the Dock shows NO FINDER ICON !!! just a blank space!!

It works, but its not there!

Terry :mad:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

1, go to Mac HD
2, System
3, Library
4, Core Services
5, Right Click Dock, show package contents, contents, resources
6, Place your own finder .png's here (finder.png and finder@x2.png)
7, Open terminal type "killall Dock"
8, Done

PS. Do the same for Trash icons

And NOW the Dock shows NO FINDER ICON !!! just a blank space!!

It works, but its not there!

Terry :mad:

A few suggestions:

1) Double-check that you named the files correctly (finder.png for non-retina machines, finder@2x.png for retina machines).

2) Make sure they are the proper size (128x128 for finder.png and 256x256 for finder@2x.png, although they should still show up at different sizes)

3) In Terminal, clear the dock icon cache by typing sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.dock.iconcache -exec rm {} \;

Enter your admin password if prompted, then killall Dock again.

4) When in doubt, reboot.

Last edited:

poolprof

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Decatur, IL. USA
Help !!!!!

A few suggestions:

1) Double-check that you named the files correctly (finder.png for non-retina machines, finder@2x.png for retina machines).

2) Make sure they are the proper size (128x128 for finder.png and 256x256 for finder@2x.png, although they should still show up at different sizes)

3) In Terminal, clear the dock icon cache by typing sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.dock.iconcache -exec rm {} \;

Enter your admin password if prompted, then killall Dock again.

4) When in doubt, reboot.

OK I followed all your directions, however when I typed in ( sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.dock.iconcache -exec rm {} \; ) into terminal it asked for my password however wouldnt allow me to type anything in as a response ????

Still no Finder icon

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
OK I followed all your directions, however when I typed in ( sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name com.apple.dock.iconcache -exec rm {} \; ) into terminal it asked for my password however wouldnt allow me to type anything in as a response ????

Still no Finder icon

The password does not show up in a Terminal window, this is the normal behaviour.

Just type it and hit Enter.

As Bruno said, just type in your password anyway and hit Enter. If you get a new prompt without any other message it worked.

poolprof

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Decatur, IL. USA
As Bruno said, just type in your password anyway and hit Enter. If you get a new prompt without any other message it worked.

Yes I figured that out I did type my password and hit enter... no other messages came up... then I did killall Dock...

Still no icon on my Dock ?????

poolprof

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Decatur, IL. USA
Any Ideas ???

nope, just the regular mavericks finder... I had totalfinder and another tab finder (xtrafinder ?) from my snow leopard days, but i uninstalled them both.

???

131227-0002.png

poolprof

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Decatur, IL. USA
Earlier in this thread one person mentioned that they needed to shutdown the computer completely (as opposed to a restart). Have you tried this?

Another option would be to try something like LiteIcon and see if that works for you.

Yes I have several times...

Update... I downloaded LiteIcon and it WORKED! Thank You Sital, Thank You!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.