Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
HI,

I have had many macs and have filled up the space on my Synology NAS in my Time Machine share. Some of these macs are long since gone, and I do not need their backups using space. How can I correctly delete these?

Can I just delete the folders for the old systems from the Time Machine Share?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yeah, a simple delete will work. From a filesystem standpoint, nothing really special about the TM folder(s), and won't affect your current Macs' TM functionality.

Reactions: Nermal and jerryk

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Can I just delete the folders for the old systems from the Time Machine Share?
Likely.

You should be able to set a per user quota, which will purge older data once the quota is reached.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Likely.

You should be able to set a per user quota, which will purge older data once the quota is reached.

I don't think per user will help since I am the only TM user on the NAS.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah, a simple delete will work. From a filesystem standpoint, nothing really special about the TM folder(s), and won't affect your current Macs' TM functionality.
Yep, I can confirm that this is fine. I've done just that on my own Synology.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks. This worked. Once I deleted those old system backups it freed up enough space for the mini's first backup to complete. Subsequent backups have continued with the mini's folder total size growing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoBoMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.