Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
That if you have software issues with your iPhone 5 - the best way to do it is to fully reset the phone and restore as NEW , not from any copy lying around in iCloud cause this only makes the problem come back -
Now , how do I explain this technically to someone who is not very close to this enviroment.

Thank You!

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
That if you have software issues with your iPhone 5 - the best way to do it is to fully reset the phone and restore as NEW , not from any copy lying around in iCloud cause this only makes the problem come back -
Now , how do I explain this technically to someone who is not very close to this enviroment.

Thank You!

On balance of probability there is a software bug in third party app or data somewhere which restoring from back up simply ports it back in?

Not guaranteed but if it's the case, restoring as a brand new phone will rule this out in which case you can move on to possible hardware fault which can be easily dealt under waranty.

If it is a software issue, you can generally re-download all apps from the app store (one of the benefits of the infrastructure) and most of your data (photos and music) from iTunes manually so they needn't worry about that aspect.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

Thank You!

A backup takes a snapshot of all your files and settings on your iPhone. However because of this if there is some sort of software issue a backup would backup this issue. To fix a software issue you need to start as new so the settings and files which were causing the issue do not exist anymore.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
How do I explain to someone that ....

If u ask this question, it means that the third party who needs to understand this DOESN'T, furthermore doesn't trust you with the fix. Is this person asking you for advice or is this unsolicited?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Same way you did in your post. That's a straightforward and non-technical explanation.

That said, I'm not sure it's best for all situation. Best depends on context. It may be better to rule out possible problem one-by-one versus a restore. Depends on what one's priorities are with troubleshooting.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

Thank You!

Why is it so often suggested to completely wipe an iPhone and redo everything from scratch. What is actually being fixed? Not only do you lose all app data that you can't restore, it is mind boggling how often this is suggested around here that it almost appears that you are required to do this on a regular basis with an iDevice.

wiammaren

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
it's the case, restoring as a brand new phone will rule this out in which case you can move on to possible hardware fault which can be easily dealt under waranty.
a15

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.