How do I get my user folder into Dock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by onthecouchagain, Jul 22, 2011.

1. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

My user name is 'onthecouch' on my Macbook Air, and on my iMac, when I hit "Finder" it shows up on the left column, and I can drag that into the dock to always be there.

For some reason, I don't see that in my Air. When I click Finder, I only see "All My Files, AirDrop, Application, Desktop, Documents..." etc., but not my actual user folder. How do get it there?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

When in Finder press CMD+SHIFT+H at once to open your Home Directory. Then press CMD+ArrowUp (which brings you to the Users folder, from which you can drag your User folder to the Sidebar and to the Dock.

3. thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Thank you.

Another question for you all, how do I get it show the desktop shows the things I connect. For example, whenever I connect my iPod Classic on my iMac, it shows up right there on the desktop (so I can treat it as an external HD). With the Air, this doesn't happen. I have to go into Finder to access my iPod contents.

4. macrumors regular

Where the heck do I know you from... So familiar.

XDA? Nexus S? Hmm

5. macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

Go into Finder Preferences > General Tab > Show These Items on the Desktop > make sure CDs, DVDs, and iPods are checked. Voila, your iPod will show-up on your desktop again. :)

6. thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Thank you, also!

@LeakedDave, yes, I did post at XDA and Nexus S forums >_<'