Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
What i want to do is have my music save to my internal hard drive and leave my movies going to my external (where my whole library is now). Can someone please walk me through how to get the music off my external and on to my internal, while leaving my movies on the external?

thanks

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Just so I understand:

Music = Internal Hard Drive under the iTunes folder?
Movies = External Hard Drive under a folder(s)?

yes that is what i am looking to do. As of right now my entire library is on my external HD which makes it kind of slow to change the genre and artist names and stuff on my music, as well as take an extra sec or two to start playing. So i would like to move just my music to the internal TB of my imac.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
What i want to do is have my music save to my internal hard drive and leave my movies going to my external (where my whole library is now). Can someone please walk me through how to get the music off my external and on to my internal, while leaving my movies on the external?

thanks

Chose an iTunes folder on your internal Hard Drive, then select everything in your Music Library and right-click>consolidate tracks, and they'll all be copied onto the internal, and then delete the ones on the external.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Chose an iTunes folder on your internal Hard Drive, then select everything in your Music Library and right-click>consolidate tracks, and they'll all be copied onto the internal, and then delete the ones on the external.

So i want to make sure that i understand because i am not near my imac right now.

Step 1: highlight the music folder under my user name on my internal
Step 2: highlight all the music on my external (while still highlighting music folder? this is the part i am fuzzy on)
Step 3: right click and hit consolidate.

now after this is done, will all my music go to this folder under my user folder from now on, and my movies will still go to the movies folder under "my iTunes folder" on the external?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
So i want to make sure that i understand because i am not near my imac right now.

Step 1: highlight the music folder under my user name on my internal
Step 2: highlight all the music on my external (while still highlighting music folder? this is the part i am fuzzy on)
Step 3: right click and hit consolidate.

now after this is done, will all my music go to this folder under my user folder from now on, and my movies will still go to the movies folder under "my iTunes folder" on the external?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Step 1: While using iTunes, go to Preferences>Advanced, and change the location of your iTunes media library to a folder on your internal.
Step 2: Highlight all your music in iTunes, using iTunes to do so.
Step 3: Right-click>Consolidate tracks

The songs will now be copied to your internal and iTunes will be indexing them from your internal. You'll still have a copy of the songs on your external, and you can delete them if you want.
The songs will now be copied to

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
There is no way to automate different file types going to different places. You set a default location and, based on whether you have the organize/copy boxes ticked, stuff downloaded and added to iTunes will go to one place, but you'll have to manually change the location of stuff on your own. Anything downloaded from the iTunes store goes to the iTunes music/media folder by default.

The easiest way to do this would be to set the iTunes music folder to the internal, consolidate all of your audio to it, then untick the "copy files" box in iTunes preferences and manually manage your video files.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
I think this is what I need to do. When I moved from my PC to my iMac I used an external drive, and everytime I listen to music its grabbing it off the external drive. When I unhook that drive it says it can't locate the source (if I'm remember right). What folder does iTunes normally save the music to automatically so I can put them where they're supposed to be?

Now when I do a time machine backup (I picked up another external 1TB drive just for time machine) does that back up EVERYTHING? Music, photos, e-mail all of it?

I appologize but this is my first Mac and I'm still trying to figure things out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.