Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
hi my mac died but i have a new one now. i was copying photos off to an external hard drive and right now its sitting in the photos package on the xternal. I want to bring it to the internal drive should I copy over in finder or open photos and import? Have about 300GB worth

thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are the photos inside the file Photos Library.photoslibrary on the external? If so, just drag that file over to your users Pictures folder. Then hold the option key while you click Photos to launch it. In the box the pops up, select the Photos Library in your Pictures folder as the library you want to use.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Are the photos inside the file Photos Library.photoslibrary on the external? If so, just drag that file over to your users Pictures folder. Then hold the option key while you click Photos to launch it. In the box the pops up, select the Photos Library in your Pictures folder as the library you want to use.
yes thanks its inside that photos library.photoslibrary the package that has all the pics. thnx again! what about the existing photos library thats there will it just write it over?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
yes thanks its inside that photos library.photoslibrary the package that has all the pics. thnx again! what about the existing photos library thats there will it just write it over?
Assuming you have not imported anything into that existing library, yes, you can just replace it with the other one.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Yes correct. Then once you select the library it will remember that for next time, and you don't need to hold option.

After I upgraded to Yosemite I am unable to open iPhoto or import the photos to "PHOTOS" and I can't rebuild or open iPhoto no matter what I do. I can look at my pictures on my iPad but nowhere else???

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
After I upgraded to Yosemite I am unable to open iPhoto or import the photos to "PHOTOS" and I can't rebuild or open iPhoto no matter what I do. I can look at my pictures on my iPad but nowhere else???
So are all the pictures on the iPad? You could attached the iPad by USB then option click Photos and tell it to create a new library, then import the photos from the iPad into the new Photos library. That would give you a fresh start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.