How do I input Chinese characters?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by macktheknife, Feb 26, 2002.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    I have the ability to display East Asian characters (i.e. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) on my TiBook running OS X. However, what do I do if I want to input some characters in Word, Text, etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

2. macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    ok here we go...

go to

system preferences>international>keyboard menu> then scroll down to the bottom, and check off either the simplified chinese or the original chinese>quit system preferences>open word or whatever> on the menu bar there shuld be an american flag. click that, and select chinese>start typing!

hope this helps...

3. macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2002
    i don't think that will do want to INPUT chinese characters right?

thing is...they are double-byte whereas our standard roman characters are single-byte. you need the language module and special software to input characters.

single-byte chinese characters are not the same...nor do the character sets contain enough different characters to type things properly.

it's been so long for me...nisus writer is a good place to start...i'm sure they either create software to input double-byte characters or have links to them...

if you are really hot for this stuff...and need some help...i do know of a guy who can input double-byte characters into his mac, and export them as editable single-byte characters in quark...jv