How do I know if I have bad Memory?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by C-Mezak, Sep 17, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hey all you guys wasting your time arguing about whether or not mac viruses exist! Here's a real question for you!

How do I know if my RAM has gome bad? I have a revC pb, and it feels as if it's slowed down quite a bit in the past few months. What could cause this? I run all of the maintenance scripts regularly. Could it be ram? System Profiler certainly believes that it has a 512 stick in there, and when I run top, it looks as if it's making use of it . . . but there are many pageouts!! Whats the deal, fellas?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    If you want to test your hardware, just run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your Mac. You'll need to boot from it to do anything useful with it.
  3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    My bad RAM was causing kernel panics on startup. Firmware tests confirmed that it was a bad DIMM. :cool:
  4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I bought a Mac from a catalog reseller, with their "free" (for price of installation) add-in RAM. My system crashed now and then, particular on complicated web pages, so I thought it was Safari's fault at first. Turned out to be bad RAM, which the hardware test confirmed. The reason it tended to crash on complicated web pages is that the bad RAM happened to be used for the high addresses, and I simply wasn't using all of my RAM until Safari did a little extra work.
  5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    There are a couple of really good ways to tell if you have bad RAM:

1. If you start up you Mac and hear the sound of breaking glass instead of the normal startup sound it means bad or no RAM.

2. Run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your machine and run the extended RAM tests (this can take a very long time if you have alot of RAM)

3. If you suspect bad RAM is the cause of a problem that you can duplicate ex. every time you launch photoshop the machine crashes, or you get alot of Kernal panics. Remove additional RAM modules one at a time and start up the machine again. If you remove one and you no longer are able to duplicate the original problem you've found your bad module.
  6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    It doesn't sound like a RAM issue. Try zapping the PRAM, repairing permissions or backing up files and reinstalling the OS. Of course, I've heard that if you create a new Admin. Account and delete your current one, it does just as good as reinstalling the OS.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Can you remember what you just posted without scrolling back up to see? If not you have bad memory!

I crack myself up! :D