Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I've just moved into a new house and thus broadband is 2-3 weeks away. In the meantime I've got an ISDN line in the study which connects via USB to my Mac Mini. The Mini treats this as a dial-up connection.

Also in the study I have the use of a Linsys WRT54G broadband/wireless router which the Mini is connected to via ethernet cable.

Upstairs in my bedroom is my PowerBook which connects to the router via wireless. Both Macs can see each other over this network and I can transfer files etc.

Please tell me is there a possible way to share the internet connection to the PowerBook?

I've tried Internet Connection Sharing and it works when there is an ethernet cable just between the two machines, but no dice when the ethernet cable goes into the wireless router.

Any help would be muchly appreciated :)

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
This should be possible, yes.
Turn on the Internet Sharing on the Mac. This will hand out IP Addresses in the range of 192.168.2.x

Set the wireless router to get it's WAN address automatically, but set it's LAN IP address to 192.168.3.1, handing out addresses in the 192.168.3.x range.

Then set the Powerbook to get its address automatically.
That should do it.

The problem you're having now is having two NATted devices handing out addresses in the same subnet. Things get confused.

Lee Tom

bentley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I've made the router's IP 192.168.3.1

and I've turned Internet Sharing on the Mac Mini

and I'm not sure what you mean but the PowerBook is set using DHCP and automatically joins the network.

I'm not getting anything?

I've tried the ethernet cable in both the internet input socket and one of the router sockets. Neither worked but just for reference which should it be?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Woah, woah.. first thing to try: TURN OFF the Firewall in the Sharing control panel of your MINI. Then try it again... if that doesn't clear it up...

The router should be connected to the Mac Mini via Ethernet using the Internet input socket.

I guess what you want to do is isolate the problem. Use the PowerBook to login to the router's admin webpage. Can you get there? go to the status page and see the router's status info. Was it given a valid IP Address?

bentley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
firewall is off
ethernet is in the internet input

the PowerBook is what I used to change the routers IP and my status page says

Router Information

Firmware Version: v1.42.2
Current Time: Not Available
MAC Address: 00:0C:41:9D:BD:D1
Router Name: SVEASOFT
Host Name:
Domain Name:

Internet

Configuration Type
Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS 1:
DNS 2:
DNS 3:

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
The problem is that your router isn't getting an address from your Mini. I would unplug the power from the router, then double check your Mini's sharing settings. Turn sharing off then on again. Then make sure the router is plugged in via Ethernet properly, and give it some juice. Hopefully it will get an IP address....

bentley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
these are my only internet sharing options

tried switching things on and off again.

still nada :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 52
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.