Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Hi There,

I have been to the Birmingham (Bullring) Apple Store and the London Store (Regent Street) and both of them have what i can only describe as "extra icons" on the desktop. These "Extra icons" look very cool and useful. The Apple Store seem to use it to provide links to a sign up form for a Mac Genius, Information about the apple store, if an item is out of stock a form to fill in and they will ring you. It would be useful for me to use something like that to keep links to applications in. also for web links.

If people still dont know what the hel i am on about i have uploaded THIS PICTURE to show what i am talking about. The picture is quite hard to see what i am talking about so i drew a circle arround it :D

If there are any one who works at a store and knows the answer or if a fellow Mac User know please please do post here. i really want this.

I tryed to ask at the apple store in london but the people there didnt seem to want to talk to me :( the joys of being a kid... oh well.

Once again, Thank you!

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
ph0rce said:
....If people still dont know what the hel i am on about i have uploaded THIS PICTURE to show what i am talking about. The picture is quite hard to see what i am talking about so i drew a circle arround it :D...
:eek:

Could you not have posted a screen shot from the display computer itself....or have been standing in front when you took the photo?

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
sorry, thats the best i could find atm, i am looking for a better one though... straight after i grab brekie :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
It's an opaque bezel box with icons on it - it looks very like the one you get if you use Apple Tab to go through your open applications.

Not sure if you can recreate it exactly but I use Quicksilver to have quick access to all my apps/bookmarks etc which you can bring up in the same bezelled box. ;)

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
What is this quick silver thing? i have installed it but i am not intirely sure what it does :( :confused:

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Applespider said:
Have a read through this article to get some ideas of what it can do. I use it primarily as an app launcher and as an iTunes notifier when the song changes etc.

Funky, thanks m8 :D will go have a read now :D

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
ok - semi understand it now. quite a neat bit of kit... i dont think i'll have much of a use sadly :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.