Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappax12

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
so i'm new to mac, still learning, how do i maximize the windows whenever i open a program or safari. beside grabbing the corner.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
so i'm new to mac, still learning, how do i maximize the windows whenever i open a program or safari. beside grabbing the corner.

Apple only will expand the window till you no longer need the horizontal scroll bar. At that point it displays as much width as the page needs, nothing more. You'll need to grab the corner to expand.

It was weird for me too, but actually makes sense.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
You cant really. However it will be a feature coming out in the next OSX version "lion". Apple made a point of this "new" feature when introducing it. :rolleyes:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Apple doesn't really like full-screen (Maximized) windows, because, they want you to always have access to the desktop to do other things quickly. That does appear to be changing, but it is on an application to application thing.

The green button is your best bet, or get it to a size you like and your application should remember it and leave it that size.

TEG

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
You cant really. However it will be a feature coming out in the next OSX version "lion". Apple made a point of this "new" feature when introducing it. :rolleyes:

As I understood it, Apple made it a point that many new apps should be going full-screen, iOS style. iPhoto '11 has done it, and the additional real estate is appreciated.

radu.grozescu

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009

A commercial software, but even better than the Windows maximize because you can arrange program windows horizontally or vertically very quickly when you need to compare two files. Of course you can maximize them too :)

I am really happy with it.

http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/sizeup/

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Apple doesn't really like full-screen (Maximized) windows, because, they want you to always have access to the desktop to do other things quickly. That does appear to be changing, but it is on an application to application thing.

The green button is your best bet, or get it to a size you like and your application should remember it and leave it that size.

TEG

I thought it had more to do with the fact that with the proliferation of widescreen monitors, maximizing say, Firefox would just result in a ton of dead space since the window would be far too wide for the content.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I thought it had more to do with the fact that with the proliferation of widescreen monitors, maximizing say, Firefox would just result in a ton of dead space since the window would be far too wide for the content.

Actually, Apple hasn't had full-screen apps since System 7, and the integration of Multi-Finder. I remember reading something about it in the "Mac Bible" from around the time OS 8 came out, stating what I did. It also helps to facilitate the "Drag & Drop" function between applications that Apple is fond of.

TEG

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
just use firefox or chrome browser. forefox 4 beta was just released and im starting to use it over chrome.. when you maximize the windows with firefox it fills the entire screen

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
just use firefox or chrome browser. forefox 4 beta was just released and im starting to use it over chrome.. when you maximize the windows with firefox it fills the entire screen

First, I don't get why people need fullscreen browsing. Most sites aren't more than 1000-1200 pixels wide. So what's the point of having huge empty space on the sides?

Second, I can't stand how Firefox tries to imitate OS X buttons and dropdown boxes but fails miserably. It looks horrible. The same goes for the font smoothing, or whatever it is that makes the fonts in Firefox looks different from those in Safari.

But everyone has their preferences I guess :)

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Rightzoom http://www.blazingtools.com/downloads.html#RightZoom is a free 'tweak' that changes the behaviour of the green button so it acts like the maximize button in Windows.

get this if you are really into the who max window thing, otherwise you ll have to do it manually by dragging the bottom left corner. That said some apps, most of them do use the green button as a max button, and some apps do have full screen modes.

alexlam

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
i actually fell in love with window snapping from windows 7 and missed it so much when i used my mac. But than i found better touch tool and my life is complete again.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
First, I don't get why people need fullscreen browsing. Most sites aren't more than 1000-1200 pixels wide. So what's the point of having huge empty space on the sides?

It's an 11 inch screen. "Huge empty space" isn't possible.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
It's an 11 inch screen. "Huge empty space" isn't possible.

Well, actually it is as it's relative to the resolution not the actual size of the monitor.

For example, if iPhone was 1920x1080 and you loaded a website, the actual data in the site would take up maybe 35% of the screen, regardless if the screen in 4 inches or 27.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
i actually fell in love with window snapping from windows 7 and missed it so much when i used my mac. But than i found better touch tool and my life is complete again.

ingenious and something apple should copy along with double click vertical snap and window D

Bierkameel

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Man nobody gave this tip and I'm just a Apple user for a few weeks, when you press the green + also press the CMD button and most applications will go fullscreen.
I was also annoyed in the beginning but this helped me out a lot.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Well, actually it is as it's relative to the resolution not the actual size of the monitor.

For example, if iPhone was 1920x1080 and you loaded a website, the actual data in the site would take up maybe 35% of the screen, regardless if the screen in 4 inches or 27.

Full Screen + Zoom = Win

grapemac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
it will be a feature coming out in the next OSX version "lion".

Hm, not quite.

Lion will be bringing fullscreen APPS, not fullscreen WINDOWS. A small difference but one to be noted nonetheless.

A fullscreen window wastes screen space with menu bars and such. A fullscreen app takes over the whole screen. The best example of this is to maximise iPhoto '11; a fullscreen window. Then click 'full screen'; a fullscreen app.

It wasn't until I started using OS X that I realised how wasteful fullscreen windows are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.