Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h0kie99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
VA
I can't find a "Print Screen" button like I have on my PC. On the PC, I usually just select Alt-PrintScreen to get a screenprint of the active window. Any suggestions?

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
To take a screen-shot of the active window, press Command-Shift-4 and then space. You'll see a camera icon that will take a shot of the active window when clicked. The resulting PDF file can be converted to a jpeg by using File > Export... from the Preview menu.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
comand-shift-3 will do the entire screen. comand-shift-4 will turn your mouse into a cross hair which will allow you to select only a portion of the screen. this is the closest thing to printing a single window, though i am curious if anyone knows how to 'print' a single window w/o having to select it with the mouse.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Brize said:
To take a screen-shot of the active window, press Command-Shift-4 and then space. You'll see a camera icon that will take a shot of the active window when clicked.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have always wondered how to capture a window like that. Opening Grab is way too much work. I knew about Command-Shift-4, but didn't know about hitting the space bar.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
wPod: See above. Press the spacebar once your mouse pointer has changed to the crosshair, and then click using the camera. It also works if the window you want to capture is partially obscured. Just move the camera to any visible part of the window in question and click.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.