Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Okay,
I hope this is the place where people know. I just installed Garage Band, and have a full-size digital keyboard with a USB iMic adapter and a patch chord. I've connected the keyboard to my computer and want to record directly from my keyboard to Garage Band - is this possible??

Please help if any of you have done this. I set it up in System Preferences but it doesn't work yet.

Thanks for any help....

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Depends if you want to record the actual sound of the keyboard or the info created when you use the keys.

The MIDI system is basically a language that describes what happens when you press a key, it allows that info to be recorded and then played back, so the sound generating section of your keyboard can replay what you recorded. MIDI isn't audio.

If you want to record your audio output into GB, then connect the output of the keyboard to te line-in of your mac (you could use the iMic for this if you don't have a line in.)

Sounds to me like you're trying to record the audio, in which case you may have a problem with iMic, as I'm not sure GB recognises it. Then again I've never used one, so I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.