Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekjd

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
I took a DVD and ripped it down to mpeg format, now the question arises how do I rip small clips of video from the movie? Also this is a bit off topic but how can I rip just audio clips from the movie also? I'm hoping there is some freeware or open source stuff to do this... Thanks for the help in advance....

Derek

slosh

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
for making clips, i usually extract the specific chapter that the clip is in on the dvd via mactheripper. then i use a great little program called mpeg streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html) that let's you take the extracted .vob file, set in and out points for the specific clip, trim it down and then export it to a variety of formats. it works great. you can also export the audio separately, in a variety of formats.

i use this method for teaching quite a bit, though i usually just save the (trimmed) clip as a .vob file out of streamclip, rather than exporting it to mpeg, and then play the .vob file back via VLC.

derekjd

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
thanx

I grabbed MPEG StreamClip and it works nice, thank you for the help!!!

Derek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.