how do I.. (select all)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MynameisMud, Apr 23, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2008
    I've had my first mac for a month now and am loving it.

On windows I used to be able to right click "select all" and all the text in that window would be highlighted. it sucks having to use the mouse to highlight and scroll to select a large amount of text.

How do i do this on a mac?
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Maybe I misunderstood the question, but can't you just triple click?
  3. macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2008
    On a document, you can press the Command key (  key) and A. This will highlight everything on that page.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2008
    well, for example, let's say i want to copy and paste a really long news article. Triple-clicking highlighted one paragraph. Hitting command + A selected everything including images.

If I remember correctly, on Windows I used to just right-click and "select all" and all the text would highlight.

If I remember correctly?
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2008
    basically, when i try to copy something reaaaaaallllllllly long I find myself struggling to hold down my click and moving the mouse in the direction i'm highlighting until I get stuck or i run out of space on my mousepad and fall off and then i have to start all over.

Maybe this is a personal problem?
  6. macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    I don't get it. How does the apple-A command not do what you're talking about? Regardless, all you need to do is select the first word you want to select, then hold down shift and click on the last word you want. That will select everything between those 2 words.
  7. macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2007
    Option 1. command + a

Option 2. shift + command + down key

Option 3. enable two finger tap for touchpad (will give you the right click
    option you were looking for) if its a regular mouse, enable right
    click all this can be done through system prefrences

enjoy not having to deal with a pc anymore. welcome to the fold.
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2008
    That does the job best thanks.
  9. macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    You can also right click (or press the control key and click on a one-button mouse) and choose select all. Works in firefox, anyway.
  10. macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2007
    Easiest way if you don't want images etc getting selected.
  11. macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My Windows machine copies images when I do a select all, perhaps yours is special ;)