Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I just noticed that, whenever my iPhone 4 (iOS 6.x) is on WiFi, it’s sending logs to Console on my Mac.

I see almost no info about this online, and then it’s only showing people how to enable this with outdated Mac iPhone configuration software. I can’t find even a reference to adding or removing devices in the Console “Devices” list (Console documentation is nigh useless).

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Neither my iPhone 6s or iPad Pro do it; just the iPhone 4.

EDIT: Turns out both iPhones send log data to Console on my iMac when plugged in via USB cables. But the iPhone 4 is the only one that sends it through WiFi to my MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I'm amazed you still have a working iPhone 4, well done. I checked and I note that my iPhone SE20 doesn't do this. Console preferences seem very limited in this area.

I’m using my iPhone 4 as an iPod. Kept it at iOS 6.x because that was the last version that looked nice.

I used to have a working original iPhone; or rather, my companion was using it for years after I replaced it with the iPhone 4. That thing survived being run through the wash with only minor screen corruption at the very top. She used it up until the cellular networks stopped supporting it a few years back.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
I’m using my iPhone 4 as an iPod. Kept it at iOS 6.x because that was the last version that looked nice.

I used to have a working original iPhone; or rather, my companion was using it for years after I replaced it with the iPhone 4. That thing survived being run through the wash with only minor screen corruption at the very top. She used it up until the cellular networks stopped supporting it a few years back.
I guess you are talking about the iPhone 3G. I had an iPod of the same vintage, looked just like an iPhone with a curved chrome, metal back and rounded edges. When it eventually died I did with my iPhone 4 using it as a music library plugged directly into my home stereo. It lasted for another 3 years in that form although it needed to be on charge constantly as the battery was shot.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I guess you are talking about the iPhone 3G. I had an iPod of the same vintage, looked just like an iPhone with a curved chrome, metal back and rounded edges. When it eventually died I did with my iPhone 4 using it as a music library plugged directly into my home stereo. It lasted for another 3 years in that form although it needed to be on charge constantly as the battery was shot.
No, I mean the iPhone 4 ?. Its battery still works, too. At least, for what use I make of it.

I went from original iPhone, to iPhone 4, to iPhone 6s. I’m not sure how much longer I’ll stay with 6s (still on iOS 12); my Macs are stuck on High Sierra so I lose some ecosystem compatibility if I upgrade the phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.