Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
From gmail to iOS without the cloud? I wanna try the traditional way, even if its more time consuming!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Tis looks like a tricky one, i see no answers! hehe

HangJebat

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2016
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
From gmail to iOS without the cloud? I wanna try the traditional way, even if its more time consuming!
Why traditional way? Modern way is easier and faster, I think safer too.
[doublepost=1470561589][/doublepost]If you want traditional way, just write down one by one and add it to your new iPhone. Easiest and most straightforward solution.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Why traditional way? Modern way is easier and faster, I think safer too.
[doublepost=1470561589][/doublepost]If you want traditional way, just write down one by one and add it to your new iPhone. Easiest and most straightforward solution.
Traditional way i wouldnt recon to be by writing down. I would thing of geting an export fiile from gmail, transfer that file into the iphone and import the contacts from that file. Isnt that possible?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Export them as what from gmail?
Then how do i insert them on the iPhone?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Without apps, isn't there an ability to export gmail contacts as a v card and then place the vcard in iPhone and use that file to import ones contacts?

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Gmail

Turn on what you want synced, including Contacts.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Neco1963

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Sorry im lost. Can we do the whole thing from the beginning?
Also there is no Gmail option at the Mail,Contacts,Calendar

border terrier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2013
England
Do you have a Mac computer? If so you can export from Google and import to contacts and then sync with your phone. I don't know any other way to do this direct to iOS other than an app.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Sorry im lost. Can we do the whole thing from the beginning?
Also there is no Gmail option at the Mail,Contacts,Calendar
Sign into gmail in the mail contacts calendars section in settings and toggle contacts on. It's as simple as that

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok got it! The contacts i see now on the phone, where are they stored, on the iPhone? Is it best to put them on the Cloud now? Also their sorting is funny, not like it was on the Android phone!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok say for eg. that i want my contacts to be sorted by last name, what do i do?
Also can these contacts be transfered to the cloud rather than gmail?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok say for eg. that i want my contacts to be sorted by last name, what do i do?
Also can these contacts be transfered to the cloud rather than gmail?
In mail contacts and calendars the sort options can be set as you wish.

If you want to upload them to iCloud then go to the iCloud settings and toggle the contacts on. It should pop up and ask if you want to merge them. If you merge it will upload them to iCloud.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Are there any upsides to having my contacts on the cloud?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you have other iOS devices then yeah. If not then not really
Or if you are restoring at some point (and perhaps not using a backup). Or want to access or edit contacts from a computer for some reason.

Reactions: Gav2k

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Or if you are restoring at some point (and perhaps not using a backup). Or want to access or edit contacts from a computer for some reason.
Now you lost me on those remarks. Can you explain further and more extensive please so i understand? (sorry :( )

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Do you not want to have your contacts in iCloud? I sync mine with iCloud. That way if I have to set my phone back up after a restore or something, all my contacts get restored automatically.

Here's what I did to transfer them to iCloud:

-signed into gmail on my browser

-go to contacts

-select all my contacts

-export as vCard format

-sign into iCloud on my browser

-go to contacts

-click the gear icon on bottom left and select "import vCard"

-all my contacts have just been imported

-on your iOS device, go to Settings>iCloud and enable contacts

-all your contacts will be downloaded (sync'd) to your iOS device

Easy and fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ok ive created a new account, enabled the gmail account and got my contacts. If i close it down i suppose i will loose the contacts, right? How can i save them on the phone, and is it better to have them on the phone rather than the cloud or gmail?

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Ok ive created a new account, enabled the gmail account and got my contacts. If i close it down i suppose i will loose the contacts, right? How can i save them on the phone, and is it better to have them on the phone rather than the cloud or gmail?
I don't understand your question.

You currently have your contacts in gmail, correct? Are you trying to move all your contacts to iCloud so you can stop syncing with gmail?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Just a sec, first things first :) Right ive synced with gmail and i see my contacts. Those contacts, where are they located? Are they on my phone or not? If i cut down wi-fi (that how i got internet, dont have mobile networking) will they be lost?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just a sec, first things first :) Right ive synced with gmail and i see my contacts. Those contacts, where are they located? Are they on my phone or not? If i cut down wi-fi (that how i got internet, dont have mobile networking) will they be lost?
They are in sync existing in both places, Google and your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.