Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FieldsOfDreams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
NYC
looking to move my itunes library from my old dell to the new PB. whats the best way to do this with my ipod?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Enable disk use in iTunes and then put all your music files from your PC on your iPod and then hook it up to your PB and download it from the iPod ;)

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
They are all already hidden away in your iPod_control folder, so you could drag everything in the music folder to your msic folder on your new computer and let iTunes rename the tracks and folders.

FieldsOfDreams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
NYC
alright, so i should plug in my ipod via firewire into my PB, I looked and under ipod options it had a check mark next to enable disk use. Now once I plug it into my PB what should be my step when it asks if I want to use link it to my PB (with no library) and where exactly can I drag my songs to the new library.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I've never tried it your way lilstewart92, but if you connect it up after enabling disc use, doesn't that merely allow you to retrieve them through finder, (once all hidden folders are unhidden)? A friend of mine had no music on his drive and a 10GB 2G iPod connected to his iBook G3, set to manually manage. He could play them off the iPod through iTunes, but couldn't drag them to his library using iTunes. We got hold of third party software to enable him to copy them over and them format the iPod to start from scratch with what he actually wanted on there.

After enabling disk use, what are you saying should be done next?:confused:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Make sure all of the music is on the Old Computer First!
Then format the iPod.
Copy all of the music files manually from the location on the old computer to the formatted iPod.
Plug the iPod into the new Computer.
Browse the iPod and copy the folders into the Music folder on the new Computer (located in the user's home directory)
Open iTunes on the new computer.
Associate the iPod with the new iTunes library.
Allow iTunes to sync the music with the iPod.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Songs stored on an iPod are in a hidden folder and they don't have normal filenames, so you can't see them in Finder/Windows Explorer when you enable disk use. If you want to manually copy them, delete them from your iPod first by setting your iPod to manually update, then in iTunes, take all the songs off it. This is just so you'll have enough free space on it to copy them over. Next, drag your iTunes music folder to your iPod in Windows Explorer. Hook the iPod up to your PowerBook and drag your iTunes music folder from your iPod to your PowerBook's music folder.

Alternatively, you could just hook your iPod up to your PowerBook (without doing any of the above) and use Ollie's iPod Extractor to copy the songs from it. Ollies iPod Extractor is a little freeware application that copies songs and playlists from an iPods hidden music folder to your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.