How do I use radial gradient to fill text in Illustrator?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by definitive, Apr 15, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

definitive

For example I have the word "silver", and I would like to apply a radial gradient to it which would make s and r dark, i and e lighter, and l and v really light. When I simply outline type, and then click on radial gradient, then each letter gets the full gradient, instead of the gradient spreading over the entire word.

2. macrumors 6502a

Try selecting the group of outlined letters with the selection tool (v), then clicking the button that my mouse is on in this screenshot to add a new fill. This should add the gradient to the group instead of the individual letters.

Edit: I guess the cursor doesn't show in screenshots, but it's to the right where the little "add new fill" callout is.

Attached Files:

3. macrumors regular

drag with gradient

group object, select gradient tool, click and drag over object from where you want gradient to start.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

5. macrumors newbie

gradient without outlines

You do not have to create outlines to get a gradient on text. Create your text, go to appearance panel and ADD a fill above "Characters" then choose your gradient options. You can also use the gradient tool to modify the gradient.
    This will apply the gradient to the entire word and the text is still editable.