Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
For example I have the word "silver", and I would like to apply a radial gradient to it which would make s and r dark, i and e lighter, and l and v really light. When I simply outline type, and then click on radial gradient, then each letter gets the full gradient, instead of the gradient spreading over the entire word.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Try selecting the group of outlined letters with the selection tool (v), then clicking the button that my mouse is on in this screenshot to add a new fill. This should add the gradient to the group instead of the individual letters.

Edit: I guess the cursor doesn't show in screenshots, but it's to the right where the little "add new fill" callout is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 10.29.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 10.29.03 PM.png
    350.9 KB · Views: 618

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
drag with gradient

group object, select gradient tool, click and drag over object from where you want gradient to start.

rickiac

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
gradient without outlines

You do not have to create outlines to get a gradient on text. Create your text, go to appearance panel and ADD a fill above "Characters" then choose your gradient options. You can also use the gradient tool to modify the gradient.
This will apply the gradient to the entire word and the text is still editable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.