Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Ok, it's nearly upgrade time and I need to decide between 6 and 6 plus.

Obviously, being a man, I want the biggest and best and every time I see a 6 plus I think that's the one I want.

But how do people carry it around? My 5 goes in either my side or back jeans pocket no problem. Do people find they can do this with a 6 plus? If not, do you all literally hold it all the time when shopping, or buying coffee, or going on a walk?

Enlighten me!

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
I keep it in my front pocket. I would never put a phone in my back pocket for the same reasons I stopped doing that with my wallet in my early 20s. Too uncomfortable to be sitting on and things fall out of your back pocket much easier than the front.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Holster. :eek:

I know it is not fashionable but I find it way more easy to get to my phone while in a holster. Getting into one's nasty pockets while driving is not that easy. I need to be able to get to my phone quickly and when done be able to put it back quickly.

I am not a student and need not worry about how others might judge me by how I carry my phone! I do what works best for ME!:p

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Holster. :eek:

I know it is not fashionable but I find it way more easy to get to my phone while in a holster. Getting into one's nasty pockets while driving is not that easy. I need to be able to get to my phone quickly and when done be able to put it back quickly.

I am not a student and need not worry about how others might judge me by how I carry my phone! I do what works best for ME!:p
Is it not illegal where you live to use your phone while driving? If my phone goes off in my pocket while I am driving I let it ring rather than risk an accident or answer it from my steering wheel if I am driving the family car that has Bluetooth enabled.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
So the general consensus is it fits in a front jeans pocket... interesting, had thought it too big for that!

Reactions: janeauburn

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
So the general consensus is it fits in a front jeans pocket... interesting, had thought it too big for that!

These have to be men's pockets. I fit my 6 Plus in my front jeans pocket with plenty of room to spare, though I usually put it in one of the front pockets on my Staad Backpack.

Women's jean's pockets? forget it.

Holsters seem tacky to me unless I'm out in the field wearing PPE.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Back jean pocket (right side). Done this since the day I owned a cellphone back in high school in 2001. <cough>. I did this with my Note 3 for over a year and I do the same with the 6+. I have an Apple black leather case on it. If it's not in my back pocket, it's in my hand.

During the day at work it's on the desk next to my keyboard - same for at home.

When I'm driving it's in the tray in front of my Honda Civic's shifter -- yes, the butt end sticks out but makes it perfect for attaching a charging cable while I'm driving. Just have to make sure the phone doesn't slide in front of the shifter so I don't smash the charging cable and the phone when putting the car in park so phone usually sits on top of my wallet (in the tray) which keeps it in place.

But yeah, can't really bend over and pick something off the ground with this thing back there... I've done it but I can tell my butt is straining against the phone. I'm not a small guy either (36 waist - 5'11) and I don't wear skinny tight jeans.

My wife (5'1) has the 6+ too. Tho the phone fits in her back jean pocket, only 30% of it does, so it doesn't go there. She holds it most of the time or puts it in a special zipped area in her purse if she can't hold it (pushing a cart).

----------

My coworker does this with his 6+. He's smaller than me but he's been doing it since launch day without any problems. In the same pocket as his keys/change too. <cringe>. Screen looks good to me.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Is it not illegal where you live to use your phone while driving? If my phone goes off in my pocket while I am driving I let it ring rather than risk an accident or answer it from my steering wheel if I am driving the family car that has Bluetooth enabled.

It is illegal and I seldom text while driving which is much more than I can say for the people driving around me

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It is illegal and I seldom text while driving which is much more than I can say for the people driving around me

Same. Besides, the wife usually has her iPhone hooked up to the car's bluetooth for music purposes. I'd much rather talk to someone on my own time than when I'm driving. My phone spends most of its day on silent. If I have to text, I have and do pull over to the side - put the car in park, and get my texting done, and drive off. Phone on silent (I HATE vibrate so that's always off) doesn't distract while driving. One advantage of being married <cough> is that the wife can take my phone and dictate to me texts and send texts on my behalf while I'm driving :).

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
These have to be men's pockets. I fit my 6 Plus in my front jeans pocket with plenty of room to spare, though I usually put it in one of the front pockets on my Staad Backpack.

Women's jean's pockets? forget it.

Holsters seem tacky to me unless I'm out in the field wearing PPE.

That's ok, I tend to only wear men's jeans ;)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Usually front pocket when I'm walking around. If I'm wearing a jacket, I'll keep in my left breast pocket on the inside of my jacket.

At work, it sits on my desk next to me. In my car, I use a mount as it doesn't fit in my cup holder.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Probably a silly question, but for those with the 6 plus do you find it makes your pocket uncomfortably hot in warm climates? I was just thinking that a large iPhone that tends to warm up a little when being used might cause you to sweat a little more -- and possibly cause damage.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
With my hand. :p No seriously I carry it in my hand. I once in awhile stick it in my back pocket but about half of it sticks out so obviously I don't like doing that for fear someone would just pluck it out of my pocket.

I carry a wristlet mostly for a purse because during the week I like to be able to just throw it in my laptop bag instead of lugging a purse and laptop bag. Occasionally I'll stick it in the wristlet but 9/10 it's in my hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.