Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayOhh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
LA - NYC
Hey Guys, I haven't seen a thread dedicated to this but this is for those who are looking to protect the Jet Black finish while not hiding the finish completely.

I've seen a few people talk about the Onyx drops from Nanostate and some of the various cases and skins. Post what you purchased here so we can all find the best product for everyone!

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
A nano ceramic coating from the car detailing world will help, google cquartz, Another option would be any of the films soon to come but they would cover the finish.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'll have a case. I'm very athletic, with hiking, climbing, mountain biking and gym life. My phone gets beat up a lot so a case just makes sense to avoid catastrophic damage.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Will use this case as a start
a70f0d4f79f09def3f4cc2ac5a1bdb23.jpg

Reactions: iphone7atx

nanostate_HQ

Suspended
Sep 17, 2016
Hello Guys,

I'm Steve from Nanostate, the makers of Onyx the nanotechnology coating for the jet black.

The Onyx coating will be fine for light users, if your a heavy or rough user then we would not recommend it. We have received a lot of emails from people who think the product is bullet proof, Onyx is limited to what it can do, if you get a key and scratch hard then it will penetrate the coating or if you dig a coin in to the surface it will do the same. This product is really for people who take care of there devices.

For the more rugged user we have Alien Skin which is a Nano film like no others on the market, it's super clear and almost invisible and can only be seen on close inspection, from our tests the gloss finish is not effected once the film is applied.

I would love to answer any questions people have if it's about our products or others as protective surfaces is my field.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hello Guys,

I'm Steve from Nanostate, the makers of Onyx the nanotechnology coating for the jet black.

The Onyx coating will be fine for light users, if your a heavy or rough user then we would not recommend it. We have received a lot of emails from people who think the product is bullet proof, Onyx is limited to what it can do, if you get a key and scratch hard then it will penetrate the coating or if you dig a coin in to the surface it will do the same. This product is really for people who take care of there devices.

For the more rugged user we have Alien Skin which is a Nano film like no others on the market, it's super clear and almost invisible and can only be seen on close inspection, from our tests the gloss finish is not effected once the film is applied.

I would love to answer any questions people have if it's about our products or others as protective surfaces is my field.
Hey Steve, thanks for tuning in, I didn't hear about your products before but they look Intriguing.
So how is onyx applied? Will it protect the phone from those micro scratches everyone is so afraid of? I'm not too worried about the bigger ones as i think I'll be putting it in a leather case once i leave the house anyway. I'm too paranoid, can't even have the iPhone 6s without a leather case, after it fell down and the screen shattered horribly...

I got Apple care plus this time but still... I always carry the phone alone on my pockets.

And please tell us some more info about the alien skin. It's like a regular protective film but better?;) I dislike those foils and films since my iPhone 4, at some point the edges always looked nasty or there was some air trapped inside and so on.

Plus do you ship to Germany?

NicoPantaloons

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2016
In a nice felt sleeve from Byrd & Belle. I have sleeves from them for all of my other Apple devices and I love them!

Reactions: maxsix

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hello Guys,

Surely though if you are using a case it won't be an issue? If you clean the case every few days or even a week i don't think people should worry?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Apple has never put out a warning until now for the JB phones. Let us know how you are doing a few months down the road.

That's because it's been a few years since we had a glossy "jet black" iPhone (namely the black 3G/3GS and black 4/4s) and so people are no longer used to scratches, and they know from experience how anal retentive some of their customers can be.

nanostate_HQ

Suspended
Sep 17, 2016
@chfilm

Thanks for the questions :)

So how is onyx applied?
Just 3 drops from the bottle / 3 coats

Will it protect the phone from those micro scratches everyone is so afraid of?

That's a bit of a tricky question, for example some types of sand have some very hard minerals inside quartz being the main offender of micro scratches, if it's just day to day dirt and dust then it's not a problem. With a case as you well know that over time it accumulates dirt and dust and can still scratch your phone.

I'm too paranoid, can't even have the iPhone 6s without a leather case, after it fell down and the screen shattered horribly...
Our Alien Skin film has shock resistance as well, the videos can be seen on our website (I don't want to post any links and be accused of spamming, I'm genuinely here to answer questions not promote our products)

And please tell us some more info about the alien skin. It's like a regular protective film but better?
The Alien Skin & Shock Stopper (front screen protector) are not normal PET films that other full body skin companies use, these are all from China and pretty poor performance, our film is imported from... Germany :) We then top coat it with self healing properties, then cut in to the phones shapes.

At some point the edges always looked nasty or there was some air trapped inside
Some of the cheap films go a yellow colour and this can look like the film is dirty, our film has anti-yellow properties so we don't have this issue.

The application is very easy and bubble free, you can see that on our website. For some reason your skin gets damaged or beyond use you can get a replacement for free (just shipping costs) it has a life time guarantee.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

If I get 10 requests for the following offer in this post then we will setup a coupon number on checkout and include the Alien Skin back piece for your jet black with your purchase of Onyx exclusively for mac rumour members. How does that sound ? That way you have double protection with a lifetime guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.