Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I agree that the correct way to say it is "Oh Ess Ten", however I always say either "Oh Ess Ex" or the cat name.

It's just a matter of personal preference IMO.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
CoMpX said:
I agree that the correct way to say it is "Oh Ess Ten", however I always say either "Oh Ess Ex" or the cat name.

It's just a matter of personal preference IMO.

Yeah, I agree, I say "O S X" even though it's "OS Ten". OS 8, OS 9, logically, this next version is OS 10, plain and simple.

What has Jobs referred to it as in his keynotes and such? Can't recall, now that I think about it... :confused:

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
~Shard~ said:
Yeah, I agree, I say "O S X" even though it's "OS Ten". OS 8, OS 9, logically, this next version is OS 10, plain and simple.

What has Jobs referred to it as in his keynotes and such? Can't recall, now that I think about it... :confused:

He always says Ten....as do the demo videos for using software on Apple website.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Lau said:
I'd be impressed at water into wine though, purely for practical purposes. ;)
Guaranteed to be a hit at parties. As far as miracles go, you have to admit that one's a peach :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I always call it "Oh Es Ex". Why? Because I think it was stupid to choose a Roman numeral for what is touted as an easy-to-use OS and thus stick it with a hard-to-decide-upon-the-pronunciation name. That, and the whole "OS X Version 10.4.7" thing is redundant. If they really mean it to be "ten", why not "OS X.4.7"? I'll tell you: because it's dumb.

That, and when OS XI comes out, I'll call it "Oh Es Ex Eee" which I'll abbreviate to "Oh sexy".

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Macaddicttt said:
When did they change the pronounciation of the letter I to "eee"? :confused:
"OS Es Ex Eye" -> "Oh Es Exeye" -> "Oh Sexeye" -> "Oh Sexy". Yes, it mutates, but it's easier to say and, undoubtedly, accurate. ;)

Or think of it like the final 'i' in "mini".

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
jsw said:
That, and when OS XI comes out, I'll call it "Oh Es Ex Eee" which I'll abbreviate to "Oh sexy".

I'm looking forward to a marketing scheme when OS XI comes out involving Spinal Tap.

Nigel Tufnel: This OS goes to eleven.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's better? Is it any better?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one better, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing on ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your computer. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One better.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten better and make ten be the top number and make that a little better?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] This goes to eleven.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Macaddicttt said:
When did they change the pronounciation of the letter I to "eee"? :confused:

"Eee am going to the store"? :p

What do you mean? It's pronounced "ee" in LOTS of languages :)

Oh Sexy works for me.

mypoorfriendme

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2006
"The character X is a Roman numeral and is officially pronounced "ten", continuing the numbering of previous Macintosh operating systems such as Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9. However, it is common to read it as the letter X and pronounce it "ex". One possible reason for this interpretation is the tradition of giving Unix-like operating systems names that contain the letter "X". (AIX, A/UX, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, Minix, Ultrix, Xenix, NeXT). Another possible reason is Apple's tendency to refer to specific versions in print (for example, "Mac OS X version 10.4")."

per Wikipedia

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Onizuka said:
You are so lucky my Dell at work doesn't have sound! MOLTEN LAVA WOULD POUR FROM MY MOUTH AND BRIMSTONE WOULD RAIN DOWN UPON THE EARTH! (that was supposed to be heard with a booming, resonating voice)
Too late! I read it as Eric Cartman :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.