Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
shift-command-3 will give you a screen shot of the whole desktop
shift-command-4 will give you a crosshair to drag and capture what you select.
shift-command-4 then hit spacebar to cycle through the open windows and the dock.

The images will appear on your desktop.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
There is also an app called SnapNdrag, which does the exact same thing, but allows you to reduce the quality, to say 75%, which will also make the file size smaller, which helps for posting here on the forums. Im sure there are other ways to resize images, but im to much of a novice to figure it out.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Koodauw said:
There is also an app called SnapNdrag, which does the exact same thing, but allows you to reduce the quality, to say 75%, which will also make the file size smaller, which helps for posting here on the forums. Im sure there are other ways to resize images, but im to much of a novice to figure it out.
If I don't want to open photoshop, I open my screenshot with preview and do a "save as" jpg with lower quality. Just for future ref. :)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Koodauw said:

Where can you get this app? I want to post my screenie on here :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
viccles said:
Where can you get this app? I want to post my screenie on here :D

Just hit shift-command-3 and when the image appears on your desktop, open it in Preview. You can select saving options from there when you go Save As -> JPEG, there's a little slider control that comes up.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Chundles said:
Just hit shift-command-3 and when the image appears on your desktop, open it in Preview. You can select saving options from there when you go Save As -> JPEG, there's a little slider control that comes up.
:eek: didn't i just say that...! :mad:

heh just kidding.. ;) :p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
xfiftyfour said:
:eek: didn't i just say that...! :mad:

heh just kidding.. ;) :p

Oops! Yes you did.

Sorry mate, hope your toes aren't too sore from me stepping all over them. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.