Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
If two fingers up and down scroll vertically, and two fingers left and right go Back and Forward, how do you scroll horizontally in Lion's Safari?

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
If you have a page that require horisontal scrollbars the 2 finger "swipe" will become horisontal scrolling, when it reaches the end of the horisontal scroll it will flip the page.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Have a similar question about gestures. Is the two finger swipe back and forth now the equivalent of the 3 finger swipe for back and forward in safari?

Can you get this to work on other browsers like firefox and chrome in lion?

It just seems like lion is using up all available gestures and I currently have every gesture on my computer basically already set up for something important (I use 3 finger swipes up and down to switch tabs in firefox. It works really nicely)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If you have a page that require horisontal scrollbars the 2 finger "swipe" will become horisontal scrolling, when it reaches the end of the horisontal scroll it will flip the page.

Very simple, very ingenious! And no learning curve: whether scrolling or history-paging, you’re still simply “moving” the page with your hand in a clearly-visible way. Nice.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'd like to see a Lion System Prefs or Safari Prefs checkbox/dropdown to choose between back/forward in history, and tab switching. If I have a Safari window open with 10 tabs, I would rather use a horizontal swipe to get from tab to tab. A gesture for closing the current tab would be nice too.

For me, I open multiple tabs from a page rather than navigating back and forward to avoid reload time. For ex. In the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion forum, I choose the threads I wish to read and open each in a new tab. Then I read each thread and close the tab as I finish. If I am looking for something on eBay, I might open a search, and then select items from that search to read the descriptions on and see pictures in individual tabs. Swiping to get from listing to listing would be great. I honestly hardly ever use forward and back.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I'd like to see a Lion System Prefs or Safari Prefs checkbox/dropdown to choose between back/forward in history, and tab switching. If I have a Safari window open with 10 tabs, I would rather use a horizontal swipe to get from tab to tab. A gesture for closing the current tab would be nice too.

- BetterTouchTool will do that for you.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why doesn't Apple use 4 fingers for Space switching, 3 fingers for back/forward and 2 fingers for scrolling?

What's the point of making 3 and 4 finger gestures redundant?

Maybe in Safari, 3 fingers could be used for switching tabs and 2 fingers for history navigation and scrolling like now, wouldn't that be smarter?

pencilcheck

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
in most pages it works as most pages don't have scrollable divs inside them, but with pages like the new youtube interface the cosmic panda, if you have a playlist and you want to scroll through them, you can't scroll left because it will go straight to history back and that annoys the hell out of me. Why can't they make it so history back is different from 2 finger content scrolling!! :mad:

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Why doesn't Apple use 4 fingers for Space switching, 3 fingers for back/forward and 2 fingers for scrolling?

This is the way I have it set up now. Having two finger swipe for horizontal scrolling and for back/forward is just annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.