Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I don't know that the current iPod can last that long seeing as it only has an A10 chip. When they made the previous generation they put the latest chip in unlike the 5th or 7th gen versions.
either way i dont either of us would buy it

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Crunch time on the iPod Touch will come when the current unit can no longer be updated to the current iOS. The last time this happened, it was the 6 which is how we got the 7. Apple will likely make the decision a year or two before the EOL date — again, just like they did with the Touch 6.

Really, what are the differences between the 6 and 7? Larger capacity, later chip and the ability to run current iOS. Case redesign, bigger battery, better camera, USB 3 speed through the lightening port, FaceID? Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

Nothing stops Apple from doing whatever they want whenever they want to do it, of course. Only iOS incompatibility will force the issue, however. We’ll see…

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Really, what are the differences between the 6 and 7? Larger capacity, later chip and the ability to run current iOS. Case redesign, bigger battery, better camera, USB 3 speed through the lightening port, FaceID? Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

Nothing stops Apple from doing whatever they want whenever they want to do it, of course. Only iOS incompatibility will force the issue, however. We’ll see…

I believe the only difference between the 6th generation and the 7th generation were swapping out the A8 for the A10 chip. The battery was not modified due to casing constraints.

I do agree, however, that Apple will sell their current stock and we'll only see the iPod's future when iOS no longer supports the A10. Apple could redesign it into the modern Apple era or just discontinue it. I think the only reason the iPod is still around is bulk business use which is why Apple hasn't redesigned it in a decade. Businesses use dedicated hardware designed for the iPod touch so any casing change would break compatibility and battery isn't a concern.

It's not really a great piece of consumer technology.

Reactions: ackmondual

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
They do make mobile DACs, no? A quick Google search will show you hundreds of results for DACs that can be used on the go. Here's a link:

I believe the only difference between the 6th generation and the 7th generation were swapping out the A8 for the A10 chip. The battery was not modified due to casing constraints.

I do agree, however, that Apple will sell their current stock and we'll only see the iPod's future when iOS no longer supports the A10. Apple could redesign it into the modern Apple era or just discontinue it. I think the only reason the iPod is still around is bulk business use which is why Apple hasn't redesigned it in a decade. Businesses use dedicated hardware designed for the iPod touch so any casing change would break compatibility and battery isn't a concern.

It's not really a great piece of consumer technology.

it was the iPod classic rumors that Made me interested in buying a classic one with upgraded storage and it was just about the same price as literally buying a Walkman.

I mean granted there’s other PMP devices like a fiio or Archos but literally at the end of the day despite all this technology an iPhone is not a great music player and the latest lossless update validated this notion.

I do feel the need to purchase a high quality PMP just for my music, my iPad at the moment is 1TB and is the only one that can fully handle my offline catalog ever since all the songs upgraded because my current iPhone’s storage is not enough I guess, right now I’m stuck with streaming them and I like having them offline.

I was shocked that Sony still kept the Walkman name alive and I’m holding out on a purchase unless Apple reveals something next week, even then I also found out that Sony’s walkmans can legit function as a DAC, it’s the little things in life I guess.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
People thought the latest iPod touch wouldn't happen and then it got updated two years ago. The same happened for the 6th gen.

I love iPods. I would love a modern one with incredible battery life and the potential for things like AirPods and Apple Music if people wanted that too. I guess we'll see on Monday after their event, but I kinda doubt we'll see anything from Apple new on the iPod front. I'm hoping for at least an iPod reference during the event for the 20th anniversary.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Seems that the iPod touch has been removed from the main menus (and submenus there as well), but can be found via search. Sad day.

But! We got some neat iPod references during the intro video they showed during the keynote.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.44.51 PM.png

It's still at the bottom of the main page.

Reactions: Slix

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Ok, I'll bite. Where are you finding it?

I can do a search and locate it but it's gone from the top menu bar — as is Music so I'm thinking there's a mistake with the web site.
The "SEARCH" button, like you. You're right, they don't make it obvious. And I don't think it's a mistake.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016
I love mine. Use it out running as I‘m not about to take my £1000 iPhone out for a run! I also have a nano 8th gen that still works like a champ!
How do you store/hold it while running? I tried one of those sleeves and it's not comfortable at all.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I want a 256GB or 512GB model (or more) to store a boatload of media on, have it in my disaster go bag, use on long flights or train rides, etc so that I don’t drain my iPhone battery
A couple of thoughts:

1) the most obvious being that the 256GB exists now and that battery life is fantastic—as long as you use it only as a music player. Doing much else drains the battery in quick order.

2) The Original iPod dimensions: 4.02 x 2.43 x 0.78 weight: 5 oz. aren’t all that different except for the weight and thickness which is 3x the current Touch 7: 4.86 x 2.31 by .024 weight 3.1 oz.

I don’t recall anyone having an issue with the size of the original. Apple could double the thickness of the 7 which would more than double the battery (the rest of the components are not doubled). They could even go all out retro and duplicate the original size giving users nearly 3.5x the T-7’s battery size and increased storage. 1TB takes no more physical space than 256GB.

Question is simple: Would enough people buy such a device to make it worthwhile to manufacture? I could be talked into it.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
A couple of thoughts:

1) the most obvious being that the 256GB exists now and that battery life is fantastic—as long as you use it only as a music player. Doing much else drains the battery in quick order.

2) The Original iPod dimensions: 4.02 x 2.43 x 0.78 weight: 5 oz. aren’t all that different except for the weight and thickness which is 3x the current Touch 7: 4.86 x 2.31 by .024 weight 3.1 oz.

I don’t recall anyone having an issue with the size of the original. Apple could double the thickness of the 7 which would more than double the battery (the rest of the components are not doubled). They could even go all out retro and duplicate the original size giving users nearly 3.5x the T-7’s battery size and increased storage. 1TB takes no more physical space than 256GB.

Question is simple: Would enough people buy such a device to make it worthwhile to manufacture? I could be talked into it.

I mean I would buy the 256GB now but it doesn’t feel like enough for all my apps and media. I have nearly 149GB of apps and games alone. Add my offline music collection and purchased movies and poof - full.

The reason I want an iPod is for the situation is when I do not have cloud connectivity. My dad lives in a rural area, and I do not have good cell service let alone enough to make a hotspot.

Same thing with some budget airlines that fly into that area.

That being said, long battery life and high capacities are what make the iPod touch worthwhile.

Not as a primary device, but as a small travel companion/archival/low-connectivity area companion.

Build in satellite radios for iCloud backups only or something for better rural usage and damn lezgo

Reactions: mikehalloran

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I wonder if a revival of the Nano or Classic would actually sell more than the Touch at this point. Parents don’t want to give their children a device that will connect to the internet at too young an age, and even if they have the device “forget” the WiFi, the child might well find or guess the password or take it out of the house somewhere that they find free WiFi. The Touch also allows children to make purchases that might be charged to a parents‘ card unless the parents also use the Apple ecosystem and have the relevant controls set up. A Nano or Classic might have limited internet connectivity and work with Podcasts like the 7th Gen Nano and maybe Apple Music and Spotify, but not general browsing. A £199 starting price seems too high for something to give to children too young for a basic smartphone, and fitness users might ideally like something cheaper that seems a bit less fragile.

Back when the Touch started out, it was used for browsing because smartphones weren’t advanced or commonplace and it was smaller than a computer. Now we use the phone or a tablet for the browsing. £199 for a 32GB touch or £319 for a 64GB iPad, I know which one I’d go for. Even for parents buying devices for their children of an age to get online, the iPad is a far more useful device with uses in education.

If the Touch does stay, maybe the SE form factor, A12 and 64GB base.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
No, they would probably barely recoup the investment it would take to simply refresh it. I would argue the market approach may always be right for financial reasons but little else. Almost no (perceivable) reason they should do it. I really hope they do though. It would go great lengths to show they care about all their customers--even niche ones, not just ones that line their pockets.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I mean I am currently looking into portable media players once again, my go to brand Archos doesn’t do them anymore but surprisingly Sony still sells Walkman’s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.