Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Please could someone tell me how to uninstall Windows Media Player 9 from Mac OS X? When i move the folder to the trash and try and empty the trash it says that 'the operation could not be performed becasue the item "wmphelp" is locked :confused:
Thanks
Amy

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Amy2005 said:
Please could someone tell me how to uninstall Windows Media Player 9 from Mac OS X? When i move the folder to the trash and try and empty the trash it says that 'the operation could not be performed becasue the item "wmphelp" is locked :confused:
Thanks
Amy

God I hate Microsoft more every day. OK, go into the trash and find the file they're talking about. Select it and type Cmd-I to get info. There should be a checkbox that says "locked". Uncheck it and try emptying the trash again.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Amy2005 said:
Do i press the keys on the keyboard C,M,D, - and I all at once? sorry i'm a bit of a begginer when it comes to tkis mind of thing.
Thank you

Oh sorry, I should have specified. When I say Cmd I mean the command key (the one with the apple and cloverleaf on it). If it's easier for you, you can also get info by going to the File menu and choosing "Get Info" (surprise surprise) :)

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Amy2005 said:
Thank you :) I wont be downloading WMP again lol

Try going to http://www.flip4mac.com instead - you can view Windows Media in Quicktime now. Much nicer if you "have" to look at something that is windows media. There's a FREE player. Endorsed by Microsoft, but NOT microsoft.

Edit: Once on their site, choose the Green WMV button and then the "go to download" button, but make sure you're either running the right software:

Flip4Mac WMV V2.0 requires Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later and QuickTime Versions 6.5.1 and 7.0 or later. Please use Software Update, available from System Preferences, to update your system before installing.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Ah, good to know there's a way to get rid of WMP. I tried to delete it a while ago, but just gave up and stuck the offending file in my temp folder :eek:

As for the Flip4Mac codec, I'm quite pleased with it... it runs wmv files much better than WMP itself! (yet, should we be surprised? ;))

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
dolphin842 said:
Ah, good to know there's a way to get rid of WMP. I tried to delete it a while ago, but just gave up and stuck the offending file in my temp folder :eek:

As for the Flip4Mac codec, I'm quite pleased with it... it runs wmv files much better than WMP itself! (yet, should we be surprised? ;))

True. It's simple and easy. I like it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.