How do you unintal windows media player 9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amy2005, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Please could someone tell me how to uninstall Windows Media Player 9 from Mac OS X? When i move the folder to the trash and try and empty the trash it says that 'the operation could not be performed becasue the item "wmphelp" is locked :confused:
    Thanks
    Amy

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

God I hate Microsoft more every day. OK, go into the trash and find the file they're talking about. Select it and type Cmd-I to get info. There should be a checkbox that says "locked". Uncheck it and try emptying the trash again.

3. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Do i press the keys on the keyboard C,M,D, - and I all at once? sorry i'm a bit of a begginer when it comes to tkis mind of thing.
    Thank you

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Oh sorry, I should have specified. When I say Cmd I mean the command key (the one with the apple and cloverleaf on it). If it's easier for you, you can also get info by going to the File menu and choosing "Get Info" (surprise surprise) :)

5. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried that and the locked box was unchecked. It still won't let me delete them :confused:
    Thank you

6. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

When i look in the trash the icon in the windows media player is just a bit a paper with an A made by a pen, pencil and ruler on there.

7. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you :) I wont be downloading WMP again lol

8. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Try going to www.flip4mac.com instead - you can view Windows Media in Quicktime now. Much nicer if you "have" to look at something that is windows media. There's a FREE player. Endorsed by Microsoft, but NOT microsoft.

Edit: Once on their site, choose the Green WMV button and then the "go to download" button, but make sure you're either running the right software:

9. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you 'fartheststar' I'll be doing that tonight :)

10. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Ah, good to know there's a way to get rid of WMP. I tried to delete it a while ago, but just gave up and stuck the offending file in my temp folder :eek:

As for the Flip4Mac codec, I'm quite pleased with it... it runs wmv files much better than WMP itself! (yet, should we be surprised? ;))

11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

True. It's simple and easy. I like it ;)