Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
WOw, i love this thread, i saw in one guys sig, he had a 2.16 MBP 15.4" a 17" MBP AND a black MacBook i was like WTF is he/she MADE of cash? i've been saving for almost 2 years and i STILL need $300 for a MBP 15.4 2.0Ghz. then again, i am only 16.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
jsw said:
I sell every other child.

Better than eating them like Swift proposed.

Xander562 said:
WOw, i love this thread, i saw in one guys sig, he had a 2.16 MBP 15.4" a 17" MBP AND a black MacBook i was like WTF is he/she MADE of cash? i've been saving for almost 2 years and i STILL need $300 for a MBP 15.4 2.0Ghz. then again, i am only 16.

Just look at the "18 and under setup" picture thread. That'll really get you ticked.

"I'm 11 and PAID FOR IT ALL MYSELF. Here's my 2 Powermacs and my new MBP and my new black MB."

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I paid for mine with student loans.

I do that every year, take out a bit more than I need and buy myself something. Freshman year was my G5, sophomore was my PowerBook. Junior year, will probably be a PS3 once they come out

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I too sell every other child. Not my own kids... every other child.

Thanks to Lewis Carrol for this joke, which I first saw in Through the Looking Glass.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I washed dishes at a resturaunt for 5 years during which time i bought my powermac g5. I quit and job at Sears and ended up buying an ibook, but sold it recently. I get paid to stand around and talk to people and usually get really good deals on tools.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Some of us on MR don't have new macs (my two Macs are 5500 series machines, and only one works and is ever used.. but mostly I get on my Linux box). I am hoping for a MacBook Pro though in the near future (ie.. next 6 months.. there are other things before then).

However, I think if people budget the right way they can have money for the toys they want. While I hope to be making a good living right out of college working for some corporation, I also plan on running a small photography/computer business on the side doing just whatever I can get money with. Of course if I make any big amounts of money I will have to pay taxes but after that I would use all of that money for computer stuff.. Since I would be using the stuff for my business I could write them off.

So anyhow.. everyone has their ways of getting stuff.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I pay for my Macs by giving people little pieces of paper that they find valuable for some reason. I guess because the pictures are of people who are dead and they might be collectible like baseball cards or something. I think that they're probably all counterfeit nowadays as i gave someone 8 "Benjamin Franklins" for my Intel Mac mini. Somehow, though, they didn't mind at all ... :D

1) Fiat money has no real value.

Of course, having a meal cost $1.25 helps too.

2) For us more broke folks, gotta shave costs somewhere.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My Macs aren't technically mine at all. The company I work for purchased them and their primary use is for business purposes.

Of course, using them for MR a few times a day has been cleared as OK by both the Principal Shareholder and the Managing Director :D In case you don't get it, I both own and run the company

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
buy used

As for myself, I've been buying used recently and have actually made a profit on a few of my purchases. I impulsively bought a 12" pb two months ago for $800 and sold it for $1200. Then I bought a mac mini for $300 because I wanted to swap the ram with a mac mini I already had and give it to my parents(they would just use it for internet so 1 gb would have been a waste). My parents didn't need it so I sold it for $380. And recently I sold my old mac mini for $500 because I got a core duo mini with 1gb ram, 100 gb, ministack, kb and mouse for $600. All the above profit goes into my computer fund in case I want to get something brand new someday. If you're just patient, there are always deals out there.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Onizuka said:
I tend to whore myself out on Friday nights... Woops, I'm late for my, er, date...
Yeah, well your paycheck will get docked accordingly.

For one thing, I wouldn't believe every sig or profile I read, people lie to make themselves look good. I currently make CT minimum wage, and whenever I want something extravagant such as a computer (or the iPod I bought a few months ago) I work insane amounts of overtime for a few weeks, for my 40 hour paychecks just about pay the bills. I don't plan on needing another computer for years, I'm going to run the ones I have until they die completely. I really don't understand why people feel a need to have the latest and greatest, when nine times out of ten it does the same crap yesterdays machines are capable of.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
sushi said:
You may not have enough! :eek: :D

Well, I didn't say I was planning on getting it very soon. :( jAlthough, taking other people's plasma doesn't sound like a bad idea.... :D

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
jadekitty24 said:
I really don't understand why people feel a need to have the latest and greatest, when nine times out of ten it does the same crap yesterdays machines are capable of.

Amen, sister! The hubby has the same problem. Got me a shuffle for working out a few months ago. Personally, I love it and think it was a great buy. Now, he's been talking about trading in my shuffle for a nano with the Nike integration. I have yet to be able to convince him that I really don't need the new features. Yeah, they'll be nice, but I do just fine with my shuffle.

I had my last desktop computer for almost ten years. I do the exact same things on my lappy as I did on that one. The only advantage is I can do them in any room in my house (assuming the battery doesn't die) if I want. That's part of the reason why I'm in no rush to upgrade any time soon. As frustrated as I get with my lappy sometimes I still have a hard time justifying the cost of an iBook or MB. The things I do on my lappy are menial and I can do them easy enough on it (just have to be mindful of the limitations--battery life, hibernation issues, etc). I don't need a new one just to continue to do the same old things that I'm doing now on the current one. However, when this one really starts to die I've been storing up ideas of what to look for in a new one. Until then, I'll get by with what I've got. "Fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." :)

jadekitty24 said:
Yeah, well your paycheck will get docked accordingly.

For one thing, I wouldn't believe every sig or profile I read, people lie to make themselves look good. I currently make CT minimum wage, and whenever I want something extravagant such as a computer (or the iPod I bought a few months ago) I work insane amounts of overtime for a few weeks, for my 40 hour paychecks just about pay the bills. I don't plan on needing another computer for years, I'm going to run the ones I have until they die completely. I really don't understand why people feel a need to have the latest and greatest, when nine times out of ten it does the same crap yesterdays machines are capable of.

What? You don't believe I'm an entertainment lawyer from Beverly Hills, who's moved out east to take on the challenging world of Tort Reform, making millions and serving the public good, and I also volenteer @ the soup kitchen on Sunday's? Or just the part where I talk about my Powermac (plus 30" ACD) and my diamond encrusted MBP which is my nerd-bling? What's so unbelievable about that?

And the whole thing about new vs. old...No fair! How am I supposed to a "boy with toys" if I'm the boy with all this old and busted crap? I need the new hotness. (insert pubescent voice crack and over-salivated lisp here) It's what brings in the babes! How am I supposed to hop from hottie junior executive, to hottie junior executive w/o the new hotness?

Ok so my dog is the only reason I've been laid in the last 3 years but still, it's an image issue

Hey! why's the room suddenly empty? These crickets sure are noisy...hello? Anyone there? You mean I alienated everyone!?!?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
floriflee said:
Well, I didn't say I was planning on getting it very soon. :(
Otherwise you might deflate as they drain all your blood out! ;)

floriflee said:
Although, taking other people's plasma doesn't sound like a bad idea.... :D
Is that like the concept of using OPM (Other People's Money)? :D

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
sushi said:
Otherwise you might deflate as they drain all your blood out! ;)

Is that like the concept of using OPM (Other People's Money)? :D

Hey, I'm down with OPP yeah you know me....

Now, I'm heading off to the nearby senior community. :D

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
gauchogolfer said:
My guess is people make money editing the language/grammar of 16 year olds on forums from this:

i mean, i have a part time job @ pacsun making almost 300 every 2 weeks, n i cant afford any of this except my ibook, which i didnt even buy. so tell me, how r ppl paying?

to this:

I mean, I have a part time job at Pacsun making almost $300 every 2 weeks, and I can't afford any of this except my iBook, which I didn't even buy. So tell me, how are people paying?

I think there's a mint to be made here, personally :D

Sorry for the nitpicking, it's early and this was the first post I read this morning. Something about it just tweaked me a bit and I needed to get that off of my chest. I feel better now, I think.

:)
Uhh. I agree that posts written like that are annoying, but it's not only kids who write that like. I'm 16 and sure as heck would eat babies before I posted something in that style of "writing."

I bought my TiBook myself with money I saved from work and Christmas. I also purchased my nano ( and before that, my shuffle) with money obtained in a similar fashion. My iMacs have been purchased as family computers. I don't see that as frivolous. Anyway, most families with two working parents in professional jobs should be able to afford $2,000 every couple years for a new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.