Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm super happy. I no longer have to leave my iPhone out on a table somewhere when I'm working outdoors. I got an Apple Watch to let me know if calls or texts were coming in and could take calls easily oh my watch. But now it's nice to have the phone actually on me at all times so if I want to get into a more in-depth text conversation than is feasible on the watch, I can just pull out the iPhone instead of going all the way to wherever I left my 6S Plus.

And as a woman, it's nice to have a small phone again. When I get dressed up and want to take a tiny clutch purse and still have room for something other than one phone hogging all the space. I even got a delicate little wallet case with a wristlet from Amazon via Slick Deals for a measly $2 and I wore the iPhone SE dangling comfortably of my wrist at a summer party. I couldn't have pulled that off very gracefully with my 6S Plus.

Reactions: Sunny1990

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Super happy with mine still. I wish they would continue this trend of stuffing actual current hardware into the smaller form factor.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Did anyone get a 16 SE and is happy?

Im test driving one right now and digging it, I could afford 64 but $500+tax psychologically puts it beyond a good deal for me and I have a. 6s plus 64 to sim swap

That and already went through two, and compared to the third which is my work 5s, my current gold 16 SE has the best screen-- still not perfect, but able to cope with and dont want to go through swap hell but still debating 64

Also leveraging Spotify handful of apps, and iCloud music/iPhoto cloud
64GB was the main reason I upgraded from my 16GB iPhone 5s. I traded it in so I'm only paying a little more than $14/month for the 64GB iPhone SE. Definitely worth it. I can't do 16GB without unlimited data, and I don't use my unlimited plan with my iPhone.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Ah see I do have unlimited so I think I'll be alright
I have unlimited data with Verizon and got by fine on my 16GB iPhone 5s. I just streamed all my music, watched everything online, and stored all of my photos in Google Photos. I also use Hangouts for texting, so I don't have to delete messages to free up space (MMS take up a lot after a while).

But I use my Galaxy S7 Edge with Verizon and only have about 4GB/month on my iPhone SE, so I needed more than 16GB. 32GB would have been plenty, but that wasn't an option.

iOnAsJ

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2016
Belgium
I'm super happy. I no longer have to leave my iPhone out on a table somewhere when I'm working outdoors. I got an Apple Watch to let me know if calls or texts were coming in and could take calls easily oh my watch. But now it's nice to have the phone actually on me at all times so if I want to get into a more in-depth text conversation than is feasible on the watch, I can just pull out the iPhone instead of going all the way to wherever I left my 6S Plus.

And as a woman, it's nice to have a small phone again. When I get dressed up and want to take a tiny clutch purse and still have room for something other than one phone hogging all the space. I even got a delicate little wallet case with a wristlet from Amazon via Slick Deals for a measly $2 and I wore the iPhone SE dangling comfortably of my wrist at a summer party. I couldn't have pulled that off very gracefully with my 6S Plus.
What about your battery life? I currently have a 6s, but with the Apple Watch continuously connected, battery of the 6s doesn't last the whole day (most of the time)...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What about your battery life? I currently have a 6s, but with the Apple Watch continuously connected, battery of the 6s doesn't last the whole day (most of the time)...
It's lately not as good as some folks here are getting who brag about phenomenal battery life. And seems to drain faster than that of my husband's 6S Plus when we were on our hiking trip. Something seems to be draining it faster compared to the first two days I had it when it was phenomenal and I think it's my Apple Watches but I'm not sure. I hadn't yet switched my Apple watches the first 2 days I was running the SE. But it's dropped a little bit since the initial drop when I added the watches and I haven't identified the cause yet. It could be the FB app. I usually use the Friendly App instead, but had to add the FB app back in to share large numbers of photos, which Friendly does not let me do.

During the trip I was using the video and still camera features for several minutes at a time for about 5 hours each day. And that didn't seem to drain it fast. But something else is that's not showing up on the usage breakdowns. If I had to take a guess my particular SE would run about the same as your 6S.

I use it a lot more than I used my 6S Plus. I play games on it and I didn't on my 6S Plus and I text more. I think because I'm carrying it more. So it's hard to directly compare the two but my SE usually is drained by the end of a 12-14 hour day. My 6S Plus usually had at least 25% charge left on it.

According to the log that is generated when an iPhone is run until the battery drains and shuts down, I have a Samsung chip. I don't know if that makes any difference or not when comparing my results to that of other SE owners.

iOnAsJ

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2016
Belgium
It's lately not as good as some folks here are getting who brag about phenomenal battery life. And seems to drain faster than that of my husband's 6S Plus when we were on our hiking trip. Something seems to be draining it faster compared to the first two days I had it when it was phenomenal and I think it's my Apple Watches but I'm not sure. I hadn't yet switched my Apple watches the first 2 days I was running the SE. But it's dropped a little bit since the initial drop when I added the watches and I haven't identified the cause yet. It could be the FB app. I usually use the Friendly App instead, but had to add the FB app back in to share large numbers of photos, which Friendly does not let me do.

During the trip I was using the video and still camera features for several minutes at a time for about 5 hours each day. And that didn't seem to drain it fast. But something else is that's not showing up on the usage breakdowns. If I had to take a guess my particular SE would run about the same as your 6S.

I use it a lot more than I used my 6S Plus. I play games on it and I didn't on my 6S Plus and I text more. I think because I'm carrying it more. So it's hard to directly compare the two but my SE usually is drained by the end of a 12-14 hour day. My 6S Plus usually had at least 25% charge left on it.

According to the log that is generated when an iPhone is run until the battery drains and shuts down, I have a Samsung chip. I don't know if that makes any difference or not when comparing my results to that of other SE owners.
Thanks for your reply.
So - if I understand this well - yours lasts 12-14h (active use - not standby time)?
I only manage 6-7h active use max. and would be happy if it lasted the whole day.
Quite annoying to have to plug it in during the day, which isn't always possible.

My Apple Watch could be one responsible, but apps like Facebook and Snapchat are quite energy consuming as well.
Hope it gets better once I receive my SE, because battery life of the 6s is horrible.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for your reply.
So - if I understand this well - yours lasts 12-14h (active use - not standby time)?
I only manage 6-7h active use max. and would be happy if it lasted the whole day.
Quite annoying to have to plug it in during the day, which isn't always possible.

My Apple Watch could be one responsible, but apps like Facebook and Snapchat are quite energy consuming as well.
Hope it gets better once I receive my SE, because battery life of the 6s is horrible.
The 12-14 hours is how long I have it on me on a typical day and includes some standby time. FB is always going to be a battery hog. I turn location services off on as many apps as I possibly can. I don't use snapchat so I am not familiar with how it uses battery.

You're going to be powering a smaller screen so that should help. I think you will probably get slightly better battery life out of your SE than you're getting with the 6S.

I'm having a hard time giving you a straight answer because I got my SE right before a grueling cross country hiking trip and sporting event. My iPhone usage changed in so many ways as to make it difficult to compare to how things were with my 6S Plus, and I also have been so busy I wasn't monitoring usage stats. And during that time a watch OS and iOS update came out. I'm still trying to sorry things out myself and figure out exactly what my gains or losses with battery life might be. I do get a full day of use out of it in the way I use it. FB. Texts. FB messenger. Email. iPhone news app. Phone calls. Bejeweled.

iOnAsJ

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2016
Belgium
The 12-14 hours is how long I have it on me on a typical day and includes some standby time. FB is always going to be a battery hog. I turn location services off on as many apps as I possibly can. I don't use snapchat so I am not familiar with how it uses battery.

You're going to be powering a smaller screen so that should help. I think you will probably get slightly better battery life out of your SE than you're getting with the 6S.

I'm having a hard time giving you a straight answer because I got my SE right before a grueling cross country hiking trip and sporting event. My iPhone usage changed in so many ways as to make it difficult to compare to how things were with my 6S Plus, and I also have been so busy I wasn't monitoring usage stats. And during that time a watch OS and iOS update came out. I'm still trying to sorry things out myself and figure out exactly what my gains or losses with battery life might be. I do get a full day of use out of it in the way I use it. FB. Texts. FB messenger. Email. iPhone news app. Phone calls. Bejeweled.
It is indeed hard to tell when your usage patterns change like that.
Nevertheless, it sounds promising to me that it's possible to end the day with an SE, even with the full usage of an Apple Watch.

Even if I have to disable lots of notifications (like I've been doing the last few months), background refresh, (most of) location based services, etc.
It would help if they (finally) create an iPhone with a decent battery in a user friendly 4"/4.7" version. All my hopes on the SE. :)
[doublepost=1467031225][/doublepost]
Love my SE. Battery life (my only freggin problem with phones nowadays) has been superb.
How long does it last? Heavy use/averags use? Bluetooth enabled? Apple Watch connected?

Reactions: 5105973

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
How long does it last? Heavy use/averags use? Bluetooth enabled? Apple Watch connected?
This was directed at someone else, but I'll answer my own experience anyway. I'm so used to phones with bad battery life, so I'm constantly charging my phone whenever I can. I'll get home from work sometimes with 80+% left and still plug it in because it's satisfying to have a fully topped-up phone. My iPhone SE almost never gets below 50%. Honestly, I could easily get two days on a charge most of the time, though that would still make me anxious.

Since I never run it to dead or almost dead, I can only calculate the hours I'd get on a charge from the amount I do drain it, and I'm usually on track to get about 7-8 hours of screen on time on a charge. I don't have an Apple Watch.

julescilib

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Canada
[doublepost=1467031225][/doublepost]

Pretty avgs use. I get at least 10hrs always on imsgs with groups convos going on and Bluetooth always on and connects to my car only.

iOnAsJ

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2016
Belgium
This was directed at someone else, but I'll answer my own experience anyway. I'm so used to phones with bad battery life, so I'm constantly charging my phone whenever I can. I'll get home from work sometimes with 80+% left and still plug it in because it's satisfying to have a fully topped-up phone. My iPhone SE almost never gets below 50%. Honestly, I could easily get two days on a charge most of the time, though that would still make me anxious.

Since I never run it to dead or almost dead, I can only calculate the hours I'd get on a charge from the amount I do drain it, and I'm usually on track to get about 7-8 hours of screen on time on a charge. I don't have an Apple Watch.
Thanks for the clear reply.
Perhaps I should plug it in more frequently as well.
Guess we're all suffering battery anxiety.

Pretty avgs use. I get at least 10hrs always on imsgs with groups convos going on and Bluetooth always on and connects to my car only.
Great, 10h usage time is a blast!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.