Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How long between upgrades?

• I don't have an iPad

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 1 year

Votes: 37 19.4%
  • 2 years

Votes: 71 37.2%
  • 3+ years

Votes: 79 41.4%

• Total voters

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Still using an iPad 2.

Literally the only thing that bugs me is no Bluetooth 4.0 (so obviously no AirDrop, P2P AirPlay etc.)

Don't care about Siri/Camera/Touch ID/Retina display so no real reason for me to upgrade.

It's still perfectly usable (even on iOS 8), just not as snappy as the Air 2!

kap09

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
I went iPad 2 to iPad Air when the air launched. Would love Touch ID as I use it a lot, but not compelling enough to upgrade. I'm also using my iPad less often since going from the 5S to 6+

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
So you have:
  • iPhone 6+
  • Nexus 6
  • Note 4
  • iPad Mini 1G

How do you incorporate so many devices into your day?

On the Mac side:

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro retina

Various ThinkPad Workstations running
Windows
Linux
Unix

All devices in sync with each other via my TEN Terrabyte NAS equipped server.

All personal sensitive data resides on the server side that's _not_ connected to the internet, thereby insuring complete security to include off-site storage.

I live breathe and work in Technology. I thrive on choices and use the first and best device i.e. Computer, Laptop, Smartphone, that best suites the job at hand. I rotate thru various Smartphones frequently.

Besides getting the job done, it keeps we well educated on the various platforms in turn, avoiding boredom.

I embrace change and all things tech.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
All devices in sync with each other via my TEN Terrabyte NAS equipped server.

I embrace change and all things tech.

Nice, I have tried juggling multiple computers before and always found I neglected one of them so I don't do that much anymore. Though it's become much easier to deal with with the advent of cloud storage (i.e. Google, Dropbox, etc.). Though not all people share my willingness to use such services.

I run a TWO (;)) terrabyte Synology 212j RAID 1 at home and could see myself going quite a bit larger in the years to come.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
iPad 1 at launch. iPad 3 for the retina display. iPad Air 2 for the speed.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I bought the original mini when it first came out, then upgraded to an LTE when gps stopped working on my phone, then to a retina mini when that came out. I don't expect to upgrade for a few years now; the retina mini fulfills all my needs for a tablet,

yeongil

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Apologies if this wasn't mentioned already, but there should have been an "I'm [still] on my 1st iPad" option in the poll. ;)

The Mini 2 is my 1st and only iPad that I personally own (got it this past spring). I also have an iPad 2 from work that I've been using (and still use) since the spring of 2011. I hope to get a new(er) iPad at work next year. :D

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
I went from 1-2-3 to rmini. So it was yearly for a while althrough I had the 3 for almost two years.

Had the one then upgraded.

Had the two, was happy then an update removed multitasking so upgraded (days later the two got multitasking back!!).

He three began to lag when I was writing my dissertation so upgraded to an rmini which I love, only thing I don't like is that it is a 32gb one, next time I would get either 64 or 128. I'll be keeping this one for at least another year and a bit.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Still using an iPad 2.

Literally the only thing that bugs me is no Bluetooth 4.0 (so obviously no AirDrop, P2P AirPlay etc.)

Don't care about Siri/Camera/Touch ID/Retina display so no real reason for me to upgrade.

It's still perfectly usable (even on iOS 8), just not as snappy as the Air 2!

You don't care about a retina display because you didn't use one. After that, it would be impossible to came back.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
You don't care about a retina display because you didn't use one. After that, it would be impossible to came back.
For what I do on my iPad (basic web browsing and viewing photos I've taken), I really don't care that much, ever since iOS 7/8 it's become too slow even to use the MS office apps etc., so any work is totally out of the question.

I do know what it's like to have a Retina Display (on my rMBP and iPhone 4S/5) though, they're certainly a vast improvement over the iPad 2's meagre 1024x768 resolution!

I leave the work I have to do for my job to my rMBP/iMac obviously, the iPad is just for leisure/the basics.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
still on an ipad2.

don't care about an upgrade. Bought it 2 years ago and I'm a bit annoyed that simple things that went perfect 1 year ago go slow now. :mad:

If i consider updating it will be an ipad mini but only if the released technology isn't aged/older in comparison with the ipad Air, like it is the case now with the ipad mini 3.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
3 years almost to the day. I got my iPad 2 for Xmas in 2011. I just got my air 2 on Sunday. Ios8 pretty much finished off my iPad 2. They don't make enough changes year to year to justify an update until my old one becomes unreasonably slow. I love the air 2, but if my iPad 2 was still as fast as it was when I got it, No chance I would have upgraded.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What do you do with the old device, after an upgrade ?
Give away to family.

At one point, I was upgrading every iteration (iPad 2 64GB, iPad 3 64GB, iPad 4 128GB, iPad Air 16GB) so that was less than a year between upgrades. After being quite the spendthrift, I figure I should just use the money being spent on yearly iPhone and iPad upgrades to boost my retirement savings. :eek:

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I still use my iPad 2 daily. I'm starting to think what I want next. Might go Android.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I went every other...until this year. Went iPad 1, 3, Air...and Air 2 this year. I weigh the cost of upgrade. I sell my old iPad to lessen the impact of the new purchase. With the Black Friday deal at Best Buy...I couldn't see a reason not to upgrade to the Air 2.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
My first iPad was the original mini, then the rMini. I still have the rMini and may upgrade in the fall, so I can't give you a straight answer. I have an iPad Air also that I bought about a year ago. I use it as a sheet music device. I've purchased stands and holders for that device and will not replace it ever unless it can't show me a score. It has been too hard to find the perfect music stand for the air, and will not try to upgrade and start looking for new things for the different sized Air.
Unless.....they come out with the larger version that has been touted.
Then I can see starting that quest again for a larger iPad.
The rMini is the perfect size for me. I do plan to keep it upgraded if Apple decides to let me. A fingerprint scanner wasn't enough to pull the trigger this round.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I still have my day one first gen iPad Mini. Don't know when I'll finally upgrade.
I still use my original iPad and I just bought a replacement iPad mini 1.
The original iPad is long in the tooth, but the Mini1 is as awesome as ever.
Maybe my requirements are lower than everybody elses, but I have no intention on upgrading in the foreseeable future.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
with my new iPhone 6 Plus, I'm probably done with iPads going forward. My existing Air I suppose would work well for many years to come, but I don't plan on replacing it when it gets too old.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
as my iPad 3 mainly gets used for video watching and light browsing, i imagine i'll just keep using it till it dies. the increased interface lag sucks, but its just not worth several hundred dollars for what it does for me.

now if they somehow manage to make an actual value proposition with an iPad pro, we can talk. but attempting to do anything productive on an iPad so far has always made me run back to my laptop within minutes.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I still use my original iPad and I just bought a replacement iPad mini 1.
The original iPad is long in the tooth, but the Mini1 is as awesome as ever.
Maybe my requirements are lower than everybody elses, but I have no intention on upgrading in the foreseeable future.

Heck, mine crashes a lot these days, mostly with all the new cool heavy apps like Pixelmator. But I just see that as natural computer aging, which in the old days, you'd still be using the machine until it completely croaked on you. It's not bad enough to go out and replace it yet, at least not for me.

It has become more useful considering it's seen iOS 6, 7, and 8. While I'd love to get iOS 9 on it, I won't feel so burnt over it not happening because it wouldn't be so dramatic as being left behind on iOS 5. The iPad ecosystem didn't mature until iOS 6, and keeps getting better.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
Well, I just got my iPad mini 2 a few months ago, but I'll probably upgrade to the next gen Air, iPad Air 3. Or, if Apple makes the mini 4 with the same specs as the Air 3, I'll get that :) so far, the mini 2 is running fine on the A7, but I'd like some more RAM and a more powerful CPU for my next upgrade :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.