Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
You Should Always Do A Clean Install

You should always do a clean install. It'll take considerably more time, but it's a better, more stable version of the OS.

- MT

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by carletonmusic
clean install may take 80-90 minutes. The load times on a G5 might be *slightly* different than on a lower G4.
the keyword there is *may*.
I've done a few Panther installs, and clean installs usually do not take more time than archive and installs or upgrades.
On my iBook G3 (800mhz), iirc a clean install took arouind 25 minutes (everything but most of the printer drivers, most of the iApps and most of the language and speech stuff, BUT including x11). Xcode took another 40 minutes (everything but the mac os 10.1 sdk thing), but that's not part of a standard install.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I'm not pulling anyone chain here, but I can install Mac OS X.3 on my 1 GHz iMac in about 15 Minutes, including wiping/formatting the drive. I have a 1 GHz Flat Panel iMac with 768 MB DDRRAM. It takes 15 Minutes to do the install and another 10 minutes to update to 10.3.2.

If actually takes twice as long to put all of my stuff back on than it does to install the OS itself.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by übergeek
Xcode took another 40 minutes (everything but the mac os 10.1 sdk thing), but that's not part of a standard install.

I'm glad to see that a long Xcode install is normal. It worried me a bit when I installed it!

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by mklos
I'm not pulling anyone chain here, but I can install Mac OS X.3 on my 1 GHz iMac in about 15 Minutes, including wiping/formatting the drive. I have a 1 GHz Flat Panel iMac with 768 MB DDRRAM. It takes 15 Minutes to do the install and another 10 minutes to update to 10.3.2.

If actually takes twice as long to put all of my stuff back on than it does to install the OS itself.

Something doesn't sound right with that because I have a PowerBook 1gig fully stocked with RAM and it still took the average amount to install. When we say clean install, I believe that most of us may include a drive wipe with that as well.

- MT

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Heh. I did an archive and install over Jag yesterday and it took 40minutes or so... Why so long? I remember installing OS 8/9 etc. It was how long? 8 minutes? And now, with all these GBs of OS, we have to wait an hour. Make it 20 minutes!

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
The reason it takes so long is because the average drive size has gone up considerably. If (when you were installing OS 8) you had a 4 gig drive, that was high end. Now, the average is 40 gig and you can have well over that.

- MT

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Originally posted by mtorbin
Something doesn't sound right with that because I have a PowerBook 1gig fully stocked with RAM and it still took the average amount to install. When we say clean install, I believe that most of us may include a drive wipe with that as well.

- MT

I did do a clean and install. Actually its called an erase and install. I don't know what it is but it only takes like 15 minutes to install Mac OS X.3 with my 1 GHz iMac. I don't know what it is that makes it so fast. My 500 MHz iBook (Dual USB) takes about 50 minutes and my dad's 333 MHz iMac take about the same amount of time. So I don't really know why it doesn't take a lot of time. Not that I'm complaining! :)

You have to remember also that the hard drive on your PowerBook doesn't doesn't spin as fast either which will slow you down a little even though you have 256 more MB's of RAM than I do. (I have 768MB DDR RAM). The 12" PB drive spins at 4200 RPM (unless upgraded when ordered!) and the 15" and 17" PB drives spin at 5400 RPM. The hard drive on my iMac spins at 7200 RPM. So my iMac can read/write data faster.

I do a full blown Mac OS X.3 installation with the option of Erase and Install, formatting for HFS+ (Journaled) which it only takes about 5 seconds to wipe the drive clean and reformat it which I though was pretty cool for an 80 GB HDD! Try that on your PC!!! I take out the language packs, and I install all of the iApps, IE, Stuffit Expander, X11, and I only install the 2nd EPSON drivers (EPSON 880i IJ Printer), and the Gimp Print Drivers. It doesn't make any sense to install the other drivers since I don't have a printer for them. Thats just wasting space. So that may reduce some of the installation time. I only install what's needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.