Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I was totally bummed out when I got my new G5 and there was a mysterious clicking that wouldn't stop. On Applecare's advice, I took it to my Apple Store to get repaired. It was the small fan in the lower left side at the front... maybe the power supply fan (I think this is what the tech said). They told me that it would be 3-5 days and today is the fifth day and nothing has been done! It hasn't even been looked at they said! WTF??? I keep on putting off some serious projects and every day without my G5 is time and money lost. I understand a repair can take longer than 5 days, but if it does I'd like to be told instead of getting some generic answer. Frankly, I'm tired of all of this putting up with crap that apple gets away with because they are can. Regardless of how good your computers are, it is not fair to have the consumer do your quality control and then give them the run-around while the computer is being repaired.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
A simple repair shouldn't take very long, my iBook logic board replacement took exactly five working days and you can't get much more complicated than that. One of their techs was away on a training course, otherwise they said it should have only been three days.

I think it just depends on the backlog at the service centre. From what I've heard it's probably not best using an Apple store for repairs since they're most peoples first choice. Try a local reseller next time if you know of one near by.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I've had my PB 17" 1.33 in for servicing twice - once for a dark patch on the screen the second for a SuperDrive that wouldn't eject . Both times they took my PB, shipped it out, fixed it - all in 3-4 biz. days AND they even replaced a few parts that were cosmetic issues (bezel rubbing around screen) - great service.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Are you dealing with Apple directly, or a reseller/authorized agent? That seems unusually long for Apple. A reseller/agent could be anybody's guess--order a part at ther leisure, install it whenever, call you to pick it up eventually. Not that they do, but it's more likely than if you go through Apple. Of course if it's an oddball problem or they don't have parts available then it could take longer than they said.

"We haven't even looked at it yet" doesn't sound like the kind of answer Apple gives you, so that's why I asked.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I'm getting it repaired at Mac Whiz

Just kidding. It is at the Apple Store and as of tonight I am still on "open status". I don't want to raise a ruckus, but I need my computer to do ALL of my work. Any suggestions?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
A shipping company picked up my iBook on Sat. night and had it back Monday nite with a new logic board & power switch. VERY impressed.

I had the display hinges replaced on an old Wallstreet though, and that took 3 weeks :confused:

You win some, you lose some :confused: :confused:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Apple Store still has it? Why haven't they sent it in after 5-6 days? I thought Apple had it and that's where your delay was. This is fishy though. I've seen the Genius Bar do only 2 things: 1.) Fix the problem in front of you and send you on your way. 2.) Send the computer to Apple same/next day. Which Apple Store is this? Something doesn't add up.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
It is the Apple Store at Easton Town Center (Columbus, Ohio). I talked to them today at 4pm and they said "it just got on the bench". I asked if would be ready tonight and had a quick "no" for a response. I then asked if it would be ready tomorrow and the guy acted like I was insulting him, and after a long pause just said "I don't know, but we will call you when it's ready". It has now been a week just to repair the power supply fan, which hasn't even been completed yet :mad:

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Well, I picker up my G5 today.. finally. It was vastly different than my previous experiences of last week as everyone in the store seemed super-cool and helpful. I took my computer home and set it up expecting it to run fine. While the power supply fan is no longer clicking, there is another click coming from the power supply. I put a flashlight up to the grill and could see 3 wires strung together (one black, one yellow, one red) that were pumping up and down at a rate of about once every 1.5 seconds. I waited 15 minutes for apple care but no answer so I called the store direct. They told me to bring it in tomorrow for more repairs. DOES IT EVER END?!?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad: . All that I want is a computer that works. Is that too much to ask? I am mighty peeved and am going to let Apple know.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
That's very frustrating. But it's also very unusual. It's a new Mac, right? Warranty inside of the first 90 days that gives you telephone support, right? Just call Apple and have them send you a shipping box. Bypass the store completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.