Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codawg81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Just got my 3G and doing a restore from my old iPhone. I think I just went over the 30 minute mark.

oodanner

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
I just did a restore last night and I think it took around two hours total. I have about 5gigs of free space on a 16gb so that might give you some idea of how long it could take.

codawg81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I had only about 5G of data from my old iPhone and I

just went over the 70 minute mark. It is progressing though and it sounds like it just takes awhile. Thanks for the info.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If you have a lot of stuff on your iPhone, then a restore will take a while. There's a limit to how fast you can write to flash memory.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'm restoring my iPhone 3g from a backup and it's been going for an hour and is about half way through.. I guess about 90 minutes left and then I have to put the music and videos on myself because I don't think it backs that up on it's own.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Man, that's so weird. I've restored my first gen iPhone a couple times lately and around 3G launch (days surrounding the launch). I never had a restore problem with installation or activation over the numerous times I did the restore. At most it would take 15min...

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Man, that's so weird. I've restored my first gen iPhone a couple times lately and around 3G launch (days surrounding the launch). I never had a restore problem with installation or activation over the numerous times I did the restore. At most it would take 15min...

It depends. If you have zero apps, then it doesn't take that long. But if you have crap load of apps, it will take long time. Just try syncing a new app into your phone, imagine that amount of time x 30 and that's how long your recovery will take.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
do you think I should be worried since my restor from back up has been sitting at the last bar of completion for like 20 minutes ??

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Ughh my cousin unplugged it while it was restorin on accident so I have to re do it now... hopefully this time it finishes after the 2 hours

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.