Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Only reply if you have over 200 posts. I was just wondering how many people are really LOYAL and WORTHY to this site and the mac. I am trying to breach 500...but I want to see who is surpassing me. :D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
click "members" click "top ten posters" and you can see when everyone registered. 11/28/01 myself.

looks like most people are pretty new (i would consider myself pretty new)

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i started in January of this year. Since then I have learned a lot about what not to do on this forum. I dont want to bother arn so im trying to be as cool as I can.

I understand that minless posts...or wortheless dribble posts only waste bandwidth.

dig it.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I am old?

I have been here since October something. I guess I am considered old, because most people are after december. I am not a MAD poster like eye;) but I post only when I feel I should. Since I have been a member here, I can't even enphasize how much I have learned. Before being a member here, I hadnt ever been to a MacWorld! I didnt know a thing about anything on a mac. This Site has really taught me lots.

As for Macworlds...I want to know who is going to MWSF 03. I went to 02, and 01, and I think 01 has been the greatest. It was the release of the Powerbook, superdrive, iDVD, and some other little things. Who here has gone to a MacWorld like WAY back when?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
yes i can agree...i too have learned a lot from everyone here on these forums..thats why i constantly gravititate to it. one of these days i wish i can be of help to someone on here....so i can give back. i want to be a positive influence not a negative one. i realize i dont know as much as the next guy but that wont stop me from trying to help out.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by krossfyter
yes i can agree...i too have learned a lot from everyone here on these forums..thats why i constantly gravititate to it. one of these days i wish i can be of help to someone on here....so i can give back. i want to be a positive influence not a negative one. i realize i dont know as much as the next guy but that wont stop me from trying to help out.

I like that. You seem like a pretty cool guy. I kind of need help. Send about 1500 dollars to my house, so I can buy my new computer :D ;) ! Just kidding. I try to help people on the forums, not flame em. But when I see people like gocyrus and redeye, it just comes natural;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
how long I've been here

I registered I think the day of MacWorld last January...got into the discussions on the TiBook...

I didn't become very active here until around September/October...

I can say I've learned a lot since becoming a member here....always interesting conversations going on....

almost like Cheers....always nice to see the same friendly faces ;)

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
thanks alot eyelikeart. besides being a fan of Apple im a big fan of pulp fiction..one of my favorite flicks. i dig the trunck shots and jewles (samuel l jacksons role). not many people know but jewles and vincent (in the movie) are guardian angels who were protecting wallaces soul from the demons ....his soul was what was in the case. sort of symbolic. i got this from the mouth of tarentino himself.

dig it!

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Macrumors Rules

This forum rules, as far as the high percentage of excellent posts, the firm yet fair administration, the clean, easy to use "look and feel" of the board, organization of topics, and personalities.

It's the only board of it's kind that I visit almost daily, and actually joined instead of lurked on (like appleturns.com and macintouch.com, it's among my everyday rituals, and is on par with the best of boards regarding Mac information, be they rumors or what-have-you)

I only joined in January of this year, but it quickly felt like I've been here forever. It just "feels" right (kinda like a Mac)

I'll not soon forget that week of FURIOUS activity during the Apple site's Macworld Countdown. Boy, was that ever a BLAST!

(not to mention that OTHER furious evening of silly posting activity, which we won't go into, will we krossfyter my friend?):D

And a day without that EYEBALL would be like a day without orange juice and doughnuts...

(Ya know, I've always wondered about the use of the "McGuffin" prop in Pulp Fiction, one of my favorite flicks of all time as well. (I think it's spelled "mcguffin"...it's Hitchcockian in its origin). Thanks, krossfyter...I never gave it much thought to try and figure out what was in the case, and now I have a new bit of trivia to blurt out at cocktail parties!)

Macrumors.com. Where ELSE could one find out such useful stuff?:p

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by krossfyter
thanks alot eyelikeart. besides being a fan of Apple im a big fan of pulp fiction..one of my favorite flicks. i dig the trunck shots and jewles (samuel l jacksons role). not many people know but jewles and vincent (in the movie) are guardian angels who were protecting wallaces soul from the demons ....his soul was what was in the case. sort of symbolic. i got this from the mouth of tarentino himself.

dig it!

Pulp Fiction is a killer movie! I knew about the case containing his soul...all that stuff....

u got to meet Tarantino or something?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I almost resent being classified as "not loyal" because of my post amount. I've been here for quite a while, and I always try to be helpful with my posts. I don't consider this a race to be highest. I would love an avatar, but if I never get one...so be it. I'm just glad that I have some people like me to talk to and somewhere to go to get and give mac help. I have contributed to this site and earned by Demi-God status just like the 200+ posters.

-Pete

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Whoops!

ptrauber's post just made me go back and re-read the original post.

Geesh, now I feel dumb for adding my 2 cents. Not only did I breech the originator's desire for people to post ONLY if they had 200 or more, but I, too, feel it's rather silly to compare number of posts to LOYALTY and WORTH, of all things.

(well, thank goodness for mistakes...otherwise I wouldn't have learned that Pulp Fiction tidbit)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I registered in October of last year but only got really into posting around xmas time. I had the span between xmas and new years off, and needed something to kill some time. I am now ranked #4 in the top ten, not tooo shabby.

I like it most when I can actually offer up real help to people with computer problems. Since I am a tech by day, and by night too, it is what I have become.

I went to my first MW last year (in New York) but don't expect to be able to go to another any time soon. There are at least two other tech's in my department that want to go next. I might get to go in 2004 or 2005 unless it comes back to Boston (fingers crossed). If that happens, then I will go every year.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I started...

I started June 2001 And I have 524 posts right now... I took I look that that top 10 list... im suprized that I was on it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by ptrauber
I almost resent being classified as "not loyal" because of my post amount. I've been here for quite a while, and I always try to be helpful with my posts. I don't consider this a race to be highest. I would love an avatar, but if I never get one...so be it. I'm just glad that I have some people like me to talk to and somewhere to go to get and give mac help. I have contributed to this site and earned by Demi-God status just like the 200+ posters.

Agreed - post quality is far more important than quality... and in general people's posts are generally of very good quality... as some have found - I will delete messages that are just filler posts with no content...

I never meant it to become a race to 500 posts though... I didn't realize an Avatar would be such a desired thing... however, it is a nice perk to those who have been on the site for a while... so I'm keeping it a post-related feature. Besides, it helps limit bandwidth to a point and also prevents Avatar overload... with ever random person having a different avatar... makes it a little more recognizable.

arn

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by eyelikeart

Pulp Fiction is a killer movie! I knew about the case containing his soul...all that stuff....

u got to meet Tarantino or something?

well yes and no...actually it was on an online chat.

so it was him that was typing to me but I did not get to meet him in person. i was so shocked that i was on the same chat as the guy. it was a neat expierence. there is where i got this answer first. i then found heard it again from a cousin of my who is going to film school and he was told the same thing from a friend meet him. without the online chat thing i wouldnt have really believed it....well maybe i would have because it does seem to fit.

how did you hear about this?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I've been here since Jan 6 this year and I've loved every minute of it. The people here are fantastic.

Awwwwwwwwwwww... :D

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
worthless postings deemed by the power that be (arn) are deleted. understandable. your posts were deleted....im assuming here...from expierence.

:D

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
I did a bit of research, and it seems like most of gocyrus' threads have been deleted, and all who posted in reply to him (me among them) have gotten their posts deleted as well...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by crassusad44
I did a bit of research, and it seems like most of gocyrus' threads have been deleted, and all who posted in reply to him (me among them) have gotten their posts deleted as well...

Threads that spiral out off topic into flame wars frequently get "locked" (no further replies can be posted)- this may take them out of the search pool... but they still exist. I don't believe I've deleted any of gocyrus's posts... but have locked quite a few of them.

As for post counts... I think the system recounted recently... as everyone's post count is down a bit... (may also account for locked threads).

In general, posts are not deleted.... the exceptions are 1) irrelevant "fluff" posts - with no content in themselves...* 2) illegal requests - warez/serials

see https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php3?threadid=2254
for more details about editing policies.

arn

note: these "fluff" posts are usually simply people posting to increase their counts... for example 10 posts that say "I agree" etc...

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I dont care...

I dont care about gocyrus, and I dont think anyone does. Just dont talk about him. I just want to know about this site and how long you have been here. :) :D :p :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.