Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
It's an A8 chip, same as iPhone 6, so I'd imagine as long as iPhone 6 is supported?

The iPT5 was supported as long as the 4S was, iPT4 had one fewer OS than iP4 because it only had 256MB of ram instead of 512MB.

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
They last as long as the hardware if the o.s. is not updated. Some apps would, of course, cease to function over time.

Andy-UK

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2013
I'm still using my four year old iPod Touch 5 which is slow but it works OK - Apple still sells them on the refurbished store so they're not quite obsolete even now - so, depending on what you use it for, you should get years of use out of an iPod Touch 6. As some of the other commentators on this thread have noted, you don't have to update the OS if you don't want to, I kept my iPT 5 on iOS 7 for ages and I've only recently gone to iOS 9.3.5 which slowed it down but I'm finding the newer versions of apps seem to be more stable.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My guess is that it will be supported for the same amount of time as the iPhone 6 since it has the same A8 chip and 1 GB of RAM. Based on the length of time Apple is currently supporting hardware with software updates that means it should get the next 2 iOS updates after iOS 10 (so it will get iOS 11 & 12, but will probably will stop getting iOS updates in fall 2019). Of course this is just based on how things are being handled by Apple now...

27 others

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
Probably two more updates. Mine is on 10 and runs fine.
This is always my concern when a new update for iOS comes out. Glad things are working well now. I find that performance degrades before Apple stops supporting the device. The last upgrade before they stop support is the one to avoid. My fear this is that this new chip will inspire Apple and app developers to use all that power and leave our chip in the dust sooner than they would otherwise.

27 others

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
Very glad I updated. I run a large spreadsheet in Numbers on my iPT6 and it has always been a little slow to open. It might be missing fonts, might be the complex spreadsheet. It now opens fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.