Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Since it has three cores and two gigs of ram I think at least 8-10 years of iOS update support. Maybe even more. iPad 2 got 6 years of support.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
As said above, it shipped with iOS 8 not iOS 7. About the update lifetime it's hard to predict because only one iPad (in iPad history) have seen it's update support stopped yet which is the first gen. Even the iPad 2 is still supported today.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
As said above, it shipped with iOS 8 not iOS 7. About the update lifetime it's hard to predict because only one iPad (in iPad history) have seen it's update support stopped yet which is the first gen. Even the iPad 2 is still supported today.
Hmmmmm... and to think the original iPad was the latest and greatest at one point.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Hmmmmm... and to think the original iPad was the latest and greatest at one point.
Yep, update support stopped fast too, only two major updates (iOS 4 and 5) vs 5 major updates (and maybe even more :p) for the iPad 2.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

It is also the only iPad that had 256MB RAM. The reason the iPad 2 is still supported is because Apple is still supporting the A5 SoC and 512MB RAM, which is pretty amazing, since the iPad 2 was introduced in the Spring of 2011. It doesn't hurt that Apple was still selling the iPad 2 until 2014 through its refurb program. In any event, while no one can possibly predict how long new versions of iOS will support the Air 2, it was the first iPad to have 2GB of RAM so it probably has a good long run ahead of it. There is a different question, though: how far into the future are YOU going to want to update the OS? ;)

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
It is also the only iPad that had 0.5GM RAM. The reason the iPad 2 is still supported is because Apple is still supporting the A5 SoC and 1GB RAM, which is pretty amazing, since the iPad 2 was introduced in the Spring of 2011. It doesn't hurt that Apple was still selling the iPad 2 until recently through its refurb program. In any event, while no one can possibly predict how long new versions of iOS will support the Air 2, it was the first iPad to have 2GB of RAM so it probably has a good long run ahead of it. There is a different question, though: how far into the future are YOU going to want to update the OS? ;)
iPad 1 actually have 256mb of RAM and iPad 2 have 512mb of RAM. The 1GB RAM was introduced for the first time on an iOS device with the iPad 3. :)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
How many iOs updates will the Air 2 support (from iOs 7)?

Based on your other posts you seem to be very concerned about which version of iOS your device is or isn't running. My advice is not to worry about it. One of the advantages of Apple products is that Apple makes both the hardware and the software, so while people complain about minor things, it's unlikely that Apple will put out a version of iOS that is really bad for any of their devices. Major problems are fixed via update quickly. It's not like Android where there are dozens of manufacturers putting out 100 different devices and then having to customize the OS for them, and updates and patches taking months to roll out.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's three I'm telling you.

Why so sure? iPad 2 was released with 4 and is supported through iOS 9. My wife has one and I agree that it's getting a little slow, but it still runs the apps she wants just fine.

By your count, the Air 2 is going to get only one more iOS update. I don't think that's likely.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's three. I'm certain.

Maybe four.

i highly doubt it. The iPad 2 and 3 have received 4 and 5 updates respectively.

iPads that upped the specs in both ram and cpu and cpu are the ones that last the longest (iPad 2, 4 and Air 2), so i would expect the Air 2 to last a long time.

The iPad 1 had too little ram to start, which is why it received pretty poor support.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Considering the iPad 2 still has the latest OS, I expect at least 4 or even 5 more updates. That's assuming they don't change their update methods and make iOS X or something. I personally feel bad to everyone who owned the iPad 1, the system was deemed obsolete just a hair over two years after its release. Sad.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Considering the iPad 2 still has the latest OS, I expect at least 4 or even 5 more updates. That's assuming they don't change their update methods and make iOS X or something. I personally feel bad to everyone who owned the iPad 1, the system was deemed obsolete just a hair over two years after its release. Sad.

256MB of ram was just not enough even in 2012... Even the iPhone 4 (Released only a couple of months later) had 512MB of ram.

Thats why they say don't by the first gen of anything :p

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
256MB of ram was just not enough even in 2012... Even the iPhone 4 (Released only a couple of months later) had 512MB of ram.

Thats why they say don't by the first gen of anything :p
Well, the iPad 2 had only 512MB of RAM, like the iPhone 4S. Even then, the 3GS had 256MB yet could run a higher version of iOS (6)! I feel that the iPad 1 could have easily survived iOS 6, maybe even iOS 7. So, the owners of the original iPad kinda got screwed, let's be honest. ;)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well, the iPad 2 had only 512MB of RAM, like the iPhone 4S. Even then, the 3GS had 256MB yet could run a higher version of iOS (6)! I feel that the iPad 1 could have easily survived iOS 6, maybe even iOS 7. So, the owners of the original iPad kinda got screwed, let's be honest. ;)

The thing is that 512MB + a dual core processor was seen as quite good in 2011, but I remember people saying that 256MB of ram and the single core processor was too little for the iPad 1 even in 2010.

The 3GS had a lot less pixels to push and iOS for iPhones is far less demanding then iOS for iPads. The iPad 1 could barely handle iOS 5 - It jittered and crashed and that was only its 2nd update. The iPad 2 ran iOS 6 pretty perfectly, and 7.1.2 quite well and even 8.4.1 respectively, though its on its way to feeling like the iPad 1, but its taken a great deal more updates to feel that way.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
The thing is that 512MB + a dual core processor was seen as quite good in 2011, but I remember people saying that 256MB of ram and the single core processor was too little for the iPad 1 even in 2010.

The 3GS had a lot less pixels to push and iOS for iPhones is far less demanding then iOS for iPads. The iPad 1 could barely handle iOS 5 - It jittered and crashed and that was only its 2nd update. The iPad 2 ran iOS 6 pretty perfectly, and 7.1.2 quite well and even 8.4.1 respectively, though its on its way to feeling like the iPad 1, but its taken a great deal more updates to feel that way.
Well, that makes sense. It seems that they fixed pretty much every problem with the release of the iPad 2.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Ok. Five then.

I think it may even get more. I'd say 5 minimum. The Air 2's hardware is really quite advanced, and Apple ha released that the iPad needs to be on a longer support cycle as people keep their iPads much longer than iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.