Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doz007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I've recently come back to the Apple ecosystem after taking a year out to give Android a chance.

I've just had a quick look in the Purchased section of my Apple TV and I have amassed 85 movies so far!! This took me by surprise but it's just so easy to buy content via iTunes and there's always a sale to tempt me to hit that buy button!

I'm sure that my collection is tiny compared to some of the die hard, long term Macrumors members.

So.... How many movies are in your library?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
None. I only rent or, if it's something really special, which I know I will watch over and over again, I will purchase the BR and rip it to my HDD. But that is a real rarity.

Reactions: laurim

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
75. However I've deleted hundreds. I will only keep movies that I may possibly watch again and I'm very picky. I'd rather have free local storage not doing anything then crap movies on it.

Doz007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
2,034 Movies at the moment.

:eek: Wow. Now that's a lot of films, you've basically got your personal Netflix service! :D

How does the Apple TV cope with scrolling through all those movies?

75. However I've deleted hundreds. I will only keep movies that I may possibly watch again and I'm very picky. I'd rather have free local storage not doing anything then crap movies on it.

Sorry, I perhaps should have made the thread title 'iCloud movie library'. Not a single one of my movies is stored on a local drive, they're all streamed from iCloud on demand. :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
:eek: Wow. Now that's a lot of films, you've basically got your personal Netflix service! :D

How does the Apple TV cope with scrolling through all those movies?

Sorry, I perhaps should have made the thread title 'iCloud movie library'. Not a single one of my movies is stored on a local drive, they're all streamed from iCloud on demand. :)

0. Hahaha

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Probably in the teens in iCloud. I had around a hundred total ripped from dvd's, but they're on an external HDD somewhere. I've bought some of those movies (that I had originally ripped from my own DVDs) on iTunes in HD that I watch once a year-ish (such as Fargo - a winter must watch). I usually pick up movies I love in HD when I see them on the iTunes store for $4.99 even if they replace a ripped DVD copy.

Sometimes I wonder how many times I will purchase the same album or movie in a differing format over the course of my life. I've got the Beatles on vinyl, CD and some AAC. I digress....

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have 25 iTunes movie purchases. Back here in the woods, all I can get is a slow Verizon DSL connection so I don't use the Cloud. I have a Mac Mini for an iTunes server with 560 movies and 513 TV shows, all ripped from DVD. Still have 2TB free disk space so there's room to grow. :)

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
About 350. I only buy HD movies, and only ones that I'm likely to watch several times.

I have around 30 on my Wish List, since I'm not a great fan of spending an additional £4 or so just because a movie happens to be a new release. I also flag SD-only movies on the wish list to keep track of when HD versions become available.

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac
About 350. I only buy HD movies, and only ones that I'm likely to watch several times.

I have around 30 on my Wish List, since I'm not a great fan of spending an additional £4 or so just because a movie happens to be a new release. I also flag SD-only movies on the wish list to keep track of when HD versions become available.

Does the wish list notify you when the price drops?

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
0. When it comes to living in the Apple ecosystem, I draw the line at purchasing movies. I'm sticking with physical media for as long as I can.

In general though, I don't buy movies that often unless I know I'll watch them at least several times otherwise it's a waste of money.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Does the wish list notify you when the price drops?
No, it doesn't. That would be a great feature. Or a "notify me when this ceases being overpriced"!

I go into my Wish List periodically, maybe once a week, to check up on what's HD and what the prices are. One peculiar thing is that some movies never seem to drop in price. For example, I'd quite like to have Outland. For sentimental reasons more than anything else. By no stretch of the imagination is that a great movie, so it's a mystery to me why it's still up there at a £13.99 price point, and has been so for years. And Transcendence, not the most brilliant film: I was waiting until that dropped to something sensible like £7.99. It shifted down a gear to £9.99 for quite a while, and now it's back up there at £13.99. I guess my Wish List will be alive and kicking for a while yet.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I think 150 movies. (that includes a freebie mini-skiing movie and a freebie Alvin and the Chipmunk video that is stuck in Movies)

I thinK I will buy Castaway today at the $6 for Fox Movie of the Day.

Most were/are Bluray Digital Copies. Then I bought the Dark Knight Triple movie bundle. and have made a few purchases of movies on iTunes for $10 or less.
I also am part of a movie forum where they do freebie giveaways and have picked up some there.
I also have made digital copy code purchases on said group...mainly//maybe only for Disney/Pixar flicks.

The Apple TV makes letting the kids pick/watch a movie we own pretty easy.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
This is all fine, until Apple has an issue with their servers, if there's a problem with your account or if you lose your internet connection. Then your $2000 movie investment is no longer available… ;)

I like having everything on a local disk, although the AppleTV doesn't seem to work without an internet connection even if the files are on your own machine. But I can still watch them on the monitor connected to my iTunes server or with home sharing on my MBA.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
^ This

Just because digital movies are a shiny new product does not mean they are a better purchase.

^
Not this

Just because I can always download a fresh copy of the movie, but BuyMore won't replace a scratched Blu-ray (or provide HD-DVD conversions to media I paid for), digital products DO have advantages.

Yes, in the event of a sudden zombie apocalypse, I will not be able to watch whatever isn't stored locally. Yikes. If I see the infections start to spread, I am sure to start my downloads.

This hasn't been a problem lately, but I have lived through the obsoletion of Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, HD-DVD, and DivX (the crap one, not the codec), not to mention cassettes, 8-tracks, most of Vinyl, and mini-discs, and am closing in on DVDs. At least Apple seems to appreciate the idea of "you bought the movie, not the plastic it is stored on" concept. That IS what they say when they complain about piracy.

Reactions: Strutten and LV426

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
^
Not this

Just because I can always download a fresh copy of the movie, but BuyMore won't replace a scratched Blu-ray (or provide HD-DVD conversions to media I paid for), digital products DO have advantages.

Yes, in the event of a sudden zombie apocalypse, I will not be able to watch whatever isn't stored locally. Yikes. If I see the infections start to spread, I am sure to start my downloads.

This hasn't been a problem lately, but I have lived through the obsoletion of Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, HD-DVD, and DivX (the crap one, not the codec), not to mention cassettes, 8-tracks, most of Vinyl, and mini-discs, and am closing in on DVDs. At least Apple seems to appreciate the idea of "you bought the movie, not the plastic it is stored on" concept. That IS what they say when they complain about piracy.

...except that I didn't say anything about owning digital movies being a bad idea.

I currently own 950 digital movies, just not in Apple's ecosystem. That's all my post was referring to.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Just had a look and I've got 95 movies that I've purchased through iTunes. In addition, I have 160 movies ripped from my DVDs. I've also bought 17 movies on Google Play

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
270 Digital Copies. 230 Digital Copies on VUDU. Over 400 BDs.

I don't buy streaming movies, but it's nice to have them on an iPad when you travel.

Last edited:

ProfGT

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2015
Hmm, did not know so I've just checked. I am surprised to find that I have 75 movies on iCloud. More than I expected. Many DVD's ripped onto my hard drive as well.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
Probably in the teens in iCloud. I had around a hundred total ripped from dvd's, but they're on an external HDD somewhere. I've bought some of those movies (that I had originally ripped from my own DVDs) on iTunes in HD that I watch once a year-ish (such as Fargo - a winter must watch). I usually pick up movies I love in HD when I see them on the iTunes store for $4.99 even if they replace a ripped DVD copy.

Sometimes I wonder how many times I will purchase the same album or movie in a differing format over the course of my life. I've got the Beatles on vinyl, CD and some AAC. I digress....
At one point I had Ratt - Out of the Cellar on vinyl, cassette and CD. I never bought the AAC, but maybe I should just to say I did. I can probably find better things to do with my money. For that matter, I could rent it from the library, rip it and Match will add it. I wouldn't feel too bad about that as I really did buy it. I can't tell if I just misplaced the CD or if it was stolen back in the day when I use to have CDs in my car. I'm not too happy with the idea of buying things twice, just as I'm not too happy about anything that's overpriced. I've got a bunch of DVDs that it would be nice to Match to my iTunes library if that were a thing. I'm not going to buy them again.

Reactions: zachlegomaniac

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
173 movies. Lost count of how many TV shows though. Since the advent of the 2nd market and ease of finding discounted iTunes movies, I have ramped up getting movies. Though I wish Apple would just make it easier to find discounted movies/tv shows on iTunes. My main reason for just buying iTunes movies was the ability to now get iTunes extras on the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.