Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I have iSight, and I have had it quite a while, but I very rarely use it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's an awesome thing, but, at the same time, just not very useful. Perhaps the MacBooks will change all of this by having it built in, but how many of you actually use iSight/iChat on a regular basis?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Never have.

All my Mac friends are still using G4 iBooks and they won't spend $100 on an iSight just so we can look at each other…;)

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
On a regular basis, not really. Today I talked to my mom, aunt, and cousin who are in Toronto. I also talk to my friend as an alternative to tying up the phone line.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
wmmk said:
cool. can you view the other user if theyre using a different type of camera?

Yes, I have used it to talk to other friends who have the cheap-o web cams. That being said, talking from iSight to Macbook pro w/ built-in iSight, you can tell that there is a difference. But yes, it's possible. I have done it through iChat to other people using different cameras using PCs.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
eidrunner247 said:
Yes, I have used it to talk to other friends who have the cheap-o web cams. That being said, talking from iSight to Macbook pro w/ built-in iSight, you can tell that there is a difference. But yes, it's possible. I have done it through iChat to other people using different cameras using PCs.
so are you saying that the external or internal iSight is better?

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
wmmk said:
yeah, but that's just marketing. which is really better?

My wife's macBook's iSight is sharper I think, but the picture is always dark. My external almost always seems to have better light sensitivity

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Almost never use the one I have in my MBP, none of my friends uses aol, and I dont want to use another app to video chat, until adium does video chat the isight will be a toy for me.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I mostly use my iSight for Photo Booth shots. I do the occassional video chat with my family on Bonjour, but that's pretty much it.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Interesting. I wonder if this changes when the Mac version of skype supports video.

I'm thinking about getting an iSight when skype supports it.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I pretend mines not working, and describe what I'm doing in graphic detail.....leave 'em wanting more:D

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I use mine a lot. I use it to talk to my dad and my sister. My dad is only about 40 miles away, but we talk every day. My sister lives in Paris and just had her first baby, we video chat so I can see the new guy. The best is when the three of us can video chat together.

I used to use it a lot to talk to my g/f in Connecticut ( I live in Vermont), but now we live together, so that doesn't happen anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.