Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I never wanted a desktop until I got the iPad, since then I've takea serious look at the iMac. I hardly ever take my laptop with me anymore and I could get a much more powerful desktop with a larger screen for the same price as a MBP. However, I will still probably go with a MBP because it would be too hard to move with an iMac and in college I have to move every few months.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I never wanted a desktop until I got the iPad, since then I've takea serious look at the iMac. I hardly ever take my laptop with me anymore and I could get a much more powerful desktop with a larger screen for the same price as a MBP. However, I will still probably go with a MBP because it would be too hard to move with an iMac and in college I have to move every few months.

It shouldn't be that hard to move with an iMac, it's an all-in-one computer :)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
When I got my iPad, I already had a tower and a laptop. The laptop was just sitting in its bag unused after I got the iPad set up, so I sold the laptop. Haven't missed it yet.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I've been considering this; but as an apartment dweller, I don't have an office or desk where I'd put an iMac. I haven't had a desktop setup since I sold my platinum G3, monitor and printer in 99.

13 years ago. Yikes, where has the time gone.... :eek:

Besides, my trusty MBP is still hanging and banging, so there's no need to replace it yet. ;)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Sold my 13" MBP once I got my iPad 2 and decided to pick up a MBA. Figured I didn't need as much power or storage, but it turns out that the MBA is 10X more powerful than my MBP was. Happy little surprise!

jcbhammond

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
I use my Mac Mini and iPad most of the time, and keep a windows 13" laptop I already had for if I really need more power. I find that very rarely do I use the laptop.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I haven't sold my laptop... probably wouldn't get much for a five year old Compaq with a depleted battery anyway... though I also haven't used it since soon after getting my iPad. The iPad is what I do most of my "computing" on now, with the rest handled by my HTPC.

cplush

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
FLORIDA
Sold my 13" MBP once I got my iPad 2 and decided to pick up a MBA. Figured I didn't need as much power or storage, but it turns out that the MBA is 10X more powerful than my MBP was. Happy little surprise!

i got a MBA after my iPad2 as well LOL. the MBA is lightening fast! must be that SSD

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
My wife has an iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Air, and 24" iMac. Her usage is:
iPod > iMac > MBA > iPad.

I've got an iPod Touch, Al MacBook, and 27" iMac. My usage is:
iMac > MacBook > iPod. I don't really know what I'd use an iPad for, and my wife basically stopped using her iPad after she got the Air Christmas 2010.

As they say, "different strokes for different folks."

Tiitu

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
No reasons to sell my MacBook Pro due to having bought an iPad (or, actually three iPads for me and my family). But, I'm sometimes running through the Splashtop app using the iPad.

In any case, I'm now waiting a new Mac Pro to be released and not planning to upgrade my laptop. (I think I'll give it to my daughter after the new version of Mac Pro will become available.)

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Why?

What can an iMac do which a Macbook pro can't?

The only real difference is that the iMac has more storage space. Everything else is negligible in terms of performance.

I would MUCH prefer a macbook pro + thunderbolt display (&iPad). Has all the performance of the iMac and the option of portability.

Because I never took my MacBook pro anywhere which negates the purpose of having a portable computer. The couple times I did take it somewhere, it was a PITA to pack and then take out again at airport security. I don't work anywhere else besides in my home office. I'm not one of the ones that goes to a coffee shop to do work. So I got an iMac which is very powerful and got an iPad that goes everywhere else with me.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I am planning on doing the same thing. The last several trips I went on (2+weeks at a time) I only brought my iPad (original) and left my laptop at home. I decided to buy the new Mac Pro when it comes out instead of another MBP.

eaf7s

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
At the risk of sounding terribly naive, whats the purpose of a MBA & an iPad? I always figured I'd have a desktop & air or an ipad and MBP (my current setup). I would want to retain a device with plenty of space, but it just seems redundant to have two very expensive ultra lightweight devices when likely neither has enough space to be "home base" - and I really can't imagine having an iPad, air AND a desktop. One device that won't weigh down my bag too much seems like plenty...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
At the risk of sounding terribly naive, whats the purpose of a MBA & an iPad? I always figured I'd have a desktop & air or an ipad and MBP (my current setup). I would want to retain a device with plenty of space, but it just seems redundant to have two very expensive ultra lightweight devices when likely neither has enough space to be "home base" - and I really can't imagine having an iPad, air AND a desktop. One device that won't weigh down my bag too much seems like plenty...

Actually, the 13-inch Air, especially with maxed out specs, has plenty of "space" -- by which I suppose you mean hard drive space? But even if you mean things like RAM and CPU power, the Air is plenty powerful enough for most usage. For all but the most hard-core power users, I'd say the Air is a perfectly capable "home base" computer. And if you need more hard drive space, or you want a larger monitor while at a desk, you can always attach external drive / monitor.

Now if you already have a MBP, of course, there's no need to switch to an Air. But if you are considering buying a new notebook, then IMO, there's no need to go for a MBP unless you really need super computing power. And if you plan on carrying your notebook with you on a regular basis, instead of just using it as a desktop replacement, then the Air's thinness and lightness is a huge advantage over the MBP.

As for why some people might carry both an Air and an iPad, well, they are just good at different things. Like, if you have lots of PDF you want to read and annotate, then the iPad is better than the Air. But if you need to type out a long essay, then the Air is probably better. Not everyone needs to do both on the go, but a person who does need to do both might decide that carrying both is the way to go for him.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Economics! Using high end but standard models with Applecare,

iMac + iPad solution: 27" iMac $2170 + iPad2 w. 64GB $780 = $2950.

15" MacBook Pro + Thunderbolt Display + Keyboard and Magic Mouse = $3690

The 15" MacBook Pro solution is more expensive than the iMac plus base 13" MacBook Pro and about the same price as the iMac plus base 13" MacBook Air.

The only real downside with the two computer solution is synchronizing the two machines. It's been what I've been doing for several years now (27" iMac + 13" Al MacBook). I was thinking of going the 15" Pro + Thunderbolt route for the simplicity, but got put off by the price plus the need to carry a larger portable around.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I still have my mbp but since buying my ipad 2 i rarely use it!

I built a custom desktop. One hdd i have windows 7 the other i have OSX lion...

will be selling mbp soon

mrganderson

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
UK
Laptop is gathering dust

Since i bought my iPad ii my laptop was staying at home more and more. I use it for presentations and going online. it can't do everything my laptop did but its a lot lighter and loads better battery life. and it doesn't take half an hour to boot up. i have just bought an iMac and my laptop pc is now redundant. my iMac and iPad are the perfect combo.
my wife has also just started using an iPad and her laptop is slowly getting used less and less.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lack of MS Word on the iPad prevents me from replacing my MBP.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I tried it, but I still want a laptop.

However it does allow me to keep my nearly five year old MacBook pro and be happy. If I didn't have 'a' laptop I would miss it.

Desktop for photography
Laptop for development
iPad for daily surfing, email etc
iPhone for communication

We are all so spoiled these days.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I tried it, but I still want a laptop.

However it does allow me to keep my nearly five year old MacBook pro and be happy. If I didn't have 'a' laptop I would miss it.

Desktop for photography
Laptop for development
iPad for daily surfing, email etc
iPhone for communication

We are all so spoiled these days.

LOL, it's so true. I work with teenagers and they are horrified that we once had no laptops, cell phones and facebook. And I'm not even THAT much older than them.

arterio

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2012
I'm sorta in the same boat.

I already have a PC desktop though, and a 15" HP laptop. I got a new position at work, and I'm needing a device to access notes, documentation, and be easily portable. I've been wanting a tablet for a while, I even bought an Asus Windows 7 tablet last year, but returned it because it killed the battery too quickly, 4 hours.

A lot of my co-workers use iPad's and they seem to do everything that's needed. So I've been saving up for one. But I know the iPad 3 (2s?) is coming out next month, so I'll wait just a little bit longer. I'm going to sell my laptop to get some cash for the iPad.

Mrawr

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have a C2D MacBook Pro from 2006 and Apple Cinema Display setup. The lappy is on it's last leg and will be replaced with an iMac. My iPad is my couch/on-the-road device these days... The laptop hasn't moved in over a year it seems.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
My ipod touch made me want an iPad, the iPad (original) made me decide to hand my laptop over to my sister, sell my windows desktop and buy an iMac...

Best decision ever.

I love my ipod, I love my iPad and I love my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.