Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidrock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
The Evergreen State College
This could be a poll but i hate them. But I'm wondering how many of you have upgraded to every OS version, or are upgrading every year. My stratgey was to get jaguar and then I was going to decide if I were to upgrade again. Since Panther came out so soon after I had gotten Jag, I decided to wait until the next 10.4 is released. What do you guys do? -n

i just see if the new features are worth it

i believe its good to be up to date or at least 1 generation behind.

if the features arent that great then ill hold up, i watied for about 3 months and checked out computers with panther before deciding i liked its speed and expose

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Until June I was extremely out of date (I used 7.6.1 until 2000, then 8.6 until June 03). I got Jaguar with my eMac in June and then bought Panther about a month after it was released (I waited a bit to make sure there were no major issues like with the original 10.2.8). The main reasons were a) It had lots of features that I liked and b) I missed not having the newest OS. ;)

In the future I will probably upgrade for most new versions, as long as my computer supports them. I feel that if I have a relatively recent system, I might as well have the newest.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
As of System 9.0, I've been a rapid upgrader. I had 10.0 installed the day it shipped, and I've installed every major version since then within a week or two of its release.

10.x.x versions, on the other hand, I'm more cautious with; I have a tinderbox machine that I usually try them on, but I never upgrade my home machine until watching MacFixit and the forums here has me convinced they're not going to do anything disasterous. I've skipped a few as a result.

I will note that, were Apple to ever release a real clunker of a major upgrade, I wouldn't blindly install it, though I'd probably get it on something if just to familiarize myself with it. I do not like Windows XP, for example (vastly prefer 2K pro), although I'm using it on one machine to get used to it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: how many of you upgrade every year?

Originally posted by acidrock
This could be a poll but i hate them. But I'm wondering how many of you have upgraded to every OS version, or are upgrading every year. My stratgey was to get jaguar and then I was going to decide if I were to upgrade again. Since Panther came out so soon after I had gotten Jag, I decided to wait until the next 10.4 is released. What do you guys do? -n
I started using Macs when System 6.0.1 was the OS. The first Mac that I purchased ran System 6.0.4. Since then, I have upgraded to each and every version of the consumer MacOS that was available for a machine in my custody. Currently, I am running MacOS X 10.3.2. There have, however, been times when I held off as I prepared to deal with the dire consequences of one particular upgrade or another, at least as reported on the Internet. However, the horror stories caused me needless worry. Apple is much more reliable than stories on the Internet.

As a Mac user since 1989, my bottomline is this: Apple does a fantastic job of quality control in its software. I have no fear of MacOS/MacOS X upgrades.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: how many of you upgrade every year?

Originally posted by acidrock
Im doing as you, running 10.2.8 and will wait for the next OS. buying a new OS every year with stuff i dont need doesnt make a lot of sense for me.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have usually been slow to upgrade. Was running 9.1.1 until November, then I upgraded to 9.2.2. Just upgraded to Panther on January 26th. I have found on many occasions, that if you don't have the latest version of a program that is when the computer will lockup.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I upgrade every time, but not always immediately. I usually wait for a couple weeks after a new version is released to see if any major problems crop up. This is especially true after some recent problems such as with FireWire devices and Ethernet problems that occurred.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
so far

I have upgraded everytime as soon as I could. That is, I'm a student at PSU, so I have to wait about a week or two before I get it FREE. 10.1 came with my iBook, but I got .2 and .3 and installed them as soon as I got them. I didn't listen to what people have to say on the internet. Usually people on the internet are the only people that are having that problem.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I upgrade as soon as the new OS comes out. For me most of the times the benefits of the new OS out ways any minor problems it may have. But then again I don't anything very taxing. For me the thrill of having the new OS asap is worth it. Plus I like to give Steve my money.

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
I try to stay ahead of the game and just buy a new laptop once a year. Hopefully with the new OS already on it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm new to Macs; having said that, I upgraded to Panther basically because it was a free upgrade (my powerbook purchase fell in that gray area). I probably will think long and hard before upgrading to 10.4, unless there's some new killer feature - something more consequential than expose.

Thing is, Panther does pretty much everything I need; especially with darn good X11 support now. Coming from the Linux side of things, it's kind of a new experience paying for an OS. :) (Just kidding; I ended up buying my copies of Red Hat, mainly to support them)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The first version of OS X I've used was 10.2.1, which came preinstalled on my iBook. I have installed every new version released since then (which the exception of 10.2.7, which was only available preinstalled on new computers).

I received Panther for "free" thanks to my ADC membership. My membership will probably expire before 10.4's released (expires in November), so I'll need to see what new features there are in 10.4 before I choose whether to upgrade or not. But I'll probably find myself paying $99 for another year of ADC.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I tend to be a bit quick on software updates but I'm not that speedy on hardware upgrades. I usually wait until there's a pretty big margin between what I've got and what's a reasonable price. A two to three year cycle seems reasonable for hardware...

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
I was always up to date for a long time, then stopped after getting OS 9 for my iMac rev A. None of the other macs were mine, so I couldn't install OS X on em. Also, why put OS X on that slow thing anyway? To top it off, I had no money. Eventually I saved enough to buy the dual 867 the same month it came out, and I was fortunate enough that they preinstalled Jaguar before it hit shelves. I've been up to date since (except iPod and bluetooth updates).

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Why Wait?!? :)

I have my Software Update set to run everyday and in the background... If it doesn't pop up, i do it manually.... :D I just love getting a new OS.... It's awesome having the newest one- I get every update and got panther ASAP, but still late (December/January)

Caleb

I love Software Update... it's so much better than Windows Update.... :D

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
I don't understand some of you people who always talk about the upgrades being "worth it". I always buy the latest and greatest! If it was the only $129 dollars I had, I would still have bought Panther. Even if I have no "need" for it. Having the lstest technology is cool! This is what being an Apple fan is all about; enjoying the floods of inovation and advancement. Being the first experieence the latest technology!

Maybe it's just me. I'm more of a computer hobbiest than simply a user.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2003
I upgrade when there's no other option. It's expensive! It's a nuisance! You have to rename and transfer all your stuff! You have to learn a bunch of new programs!

If it's a hardware upgrade, there are months of paranoia when you're afraid burglars will break in and steal your precious new computer!

It also makes me hate Apple when I upgrade - my laptop cost around 1,000 euro more in Europe than it would have in the US.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I upgrade more often than I need to--generally as soon as the upgrade is available. If I was doing more "mission critical" work on my computer, I'd be more careful with upgrades, but since all I really *need* to use is e-mail, Web, and Word Processor, I figure it's not that big of a deal.

Back when I ran a book design/production business, I was *very* careful with upgrades, making certain all our software would run on the new version and there were no significant bugs before I took the plunge.

New Guy

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2002
Connecticut
Historically I upgrade every other major release. Recently, however, I discovered that since my wife works for our town we can purchase software, etc. at a discount through Apple's government store. So, my buying habits may be changing.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I try and keep my computer until anything i NEED to run just doesn't cut it. Lately, that is a lifespan of about 2-4 years... usually in-between around 3! :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I tend to be conservative mostly, but as an ADC member, I receive Mac OS X as part of the membership.

Prior to Mac OS X, I was slower to upgrade since there was little meat in the upgrades from 7.6 to 9.0 and $99 was somewhat dear.

Even though 10.3 doesn't appear to have much new about it, it is advantageous for me compared to 10.2.8. Most things just seem to work better, but I'm waiting for various updates.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
not every year...well maybe every year...more like every upgrade. the minor upgrades inbetween each major point release I try not to install until I really need to, because the last few times I tried installing them (especially with 10.3.1) I totally screwed up the install. :p
I have bad luck with software update.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I upgrade constantly

I'm always on the lookout for Mac OS X updates/upgrades and updates to Apple software. I tend to buy upgrades and download updates the day they're released and install both immediately. Only once did I need to downgrade, and that was during the 10.2.8 update fiasco. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.2, and I will install 10.3.3 as soon as it is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.