Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
You've veered off your starting point that supporting more configs means failure. Do you still stand by that comment?

If the old MSFT approach is so great, then why is Microsoft locking down Windows 8 requirements? They are learning that the Mac way is the only way in consumer space.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
If the old MSFT approach is so great, then why is Microsoft locking down Windows 8 requirements? They are learning that the Mac way is the only way in consumer space.

They are still supporting thousands of configs in Windows 8 (Windows 7 computers will run Windows 8 and Windows Vista computers run Windows 7 so therefor run Windows 8).

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

I was half joking, but Lion is probably the least popular update they've had in a while, the best bit being that not too much changed from the previous version.

They aren't locking it down so much as they are giving it base requirements, much like they have always done. That's a far cry from Apples's way of doing it.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I was half joking, but Lion is probably the least popular update they've had in a while, the best bit being that not too much changed from the previous version.

It's ok to not be "insanely great' once in a while. Lion is just great.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It's ok to not be "insanely great' once in a while. Lion is just great.

That's debatable, it's really a value judgement rather than a fact, but I'll give it to you. Anyway, the thing is that MS is turning their image around. They are focusing more on the user experience, while still supporting whatever custom build people decide fits their need. It's a looong way from the locked down way Apple does things, and it seems to be working out pretty well for them, especially since they only do the software, so they don't care what you run it on.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
That's debatable, it's really a value judgement rather than a fact, but I'll give it to you. Anyway, the thing is that MS is turning their image around. They are focusing more on the user experience, while still supporting whatever custom build people decide fits their need. It's a looong way from the locked down way Apple does things, and it seems to be working out pretty well for them, especially since they only do the software, so they don't care what you run it on.

Nothing is working out well for MSFT. WP7 is DOA platform and Windows 8 is a year away and already most people are hating Metro.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple is proving with their explosive growth in Mac sales that full vertical integration > supporting all configurations. Also I named those software products because it shows a history of poor quality out of MSFT.

Mac sales are still so low that it's much easier to increase the sales. When you sell a few million Macs per quarter, it doesn't take much to increase the sales by 10%. PCs sell hundreds of millions each year so 10% growth would be a huge number. Percentages don't always work when the actual sales numbers are very different.

Apple's +$999 business model can't work. There is simply way too many people that cannot afford computers in those price ranges. The real market is in the budget PCs, hence Apple will never have ac big market share in computers (i.e. devices running full OS, no iOS). Then again, it doesn't look like Apple is into the mass market anyway.

When has Apple ever released a piece of software that just embarrassed the company?

FCPX

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Nothing is working out well for MSFT. WP7 is DOA platform and Windows 8 is a year away and already most people are hating Metro.

WP7 is not a DOA platform. It's taking time to get market share, but it's getting there slowly. It's a latecomer and a slow start should be expected. Mango brings it up to speed in a lot of ways. As a matter of fact I'm looking at a WP7 phone as my next device.

As for these people who hate Metro, are they people who have used it? Who hates it exactly? I've heard pretty good things about it, and remember, it's an unfinished product. They have, as you said, a whole year to get it working as it should. Don't judge it until you have actually used it.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Idle memory usage from bootup means squat. My GNOME3 Fedora 15 install uses 200MB straight after bootup. What you really want to observe is a memory vs time graph running in various use cases.

Some other things you may want to observe, CPU overhead from the dispatcher, memory manager, scheduler and process manager having to spend extra cycles making all these decisions and starting more processes on the fly.

This may not matter much on most desktops, but if the same model is going to be used on ARM Tablets and on the next Xbox, interesting effects may appear.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
WP7 is not a DOA platform. It's taking time to get market share, but it's getting there slowly. It's a latecomer and a slow start should be expected. Mango brings it up to speed in a lot of ways. As a matter of fact I'm looking at a WP7 phone as my next device.

As for these people who hate Metro, are they people who have used it? Who hates it exactly? I've heard pretty good things about it, and remember, it's an unfinished product. They have, as you said, a whole year to get it working as it should. Don't judge it until you have actually used it.

WP7 is so DOA based on the #s so far. 2% of the entire market is embarrassing! Also look at how the Apple fanboys are ridiculing it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
WP7 is so DOA based on the #s so far. 2% of the entire market is embarrassing! Also look at how the Apple fanboys are ridiculing it.

Woah, if the fanboys say it then it must be true! :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's a latecomer in a saturated market, did you expect it to come out with a 30% market share?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Like I said, it's a latecomer in a saturated market, did you expect it to come out with a 30% market share?

So the Zune strategy. It's been a year.

Because as usual, Ballmer thought progressive, forward-looking consumer markets were a big joke. This time it was in 2007.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
So the Zune strategy. It's been a year.

Because as usual, Ballmer thought progressive, forward-looking consumer markets were a big joke. This time it was in 2007.

Yup, it's been a year. Not sure what you're getting at?

We get it, you have some deep hatred for Ballmer. This isn't about him though.

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Yup, it's been a year. Not sure what you're getting at?

Still no traction. Meanwhile Android gains share by the second and the world is caught up in iDevice-mania.

But hey, give it another year, right? All it needs is more time and *then* consumers will finally wake up to its brilliance.
We get it, you have some deep hatred for Ballmer.

It isn't hate, it's just vocal amusement. I think there's also some pity in there somewhere. I haven't done a full accounting yet.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Still no traction. Meanwhile Android gains share by the second and the world is caught up in iDevice-mania.

But hey, give it another year, right? All it needs is more time and *then* consumers will finally wake up to its brilliance.

It isn't hate, it's just vocal amusement. I think there's also some pity in there somewhere. I haven't done a full accounting yet.

Nobody here cares whether you hate or pity Steve Ballmer. You seem like a total Apple cultist and not someone who is a true fan of technology wherever it is found.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Nobody here cares whether you hate or pity Steve Ballmer. You seem like a total Apple cultist and not someone who is a true fan of technology wherever it is found.

Why would I be a "true fan of technology"? There's a lot of bad technology out there that I wouldn't want to be a fan of in the first place.

I'm a fan of technology that puts a priority on User Experience above all else. This necessarily precludes horizontal integration/horizontal business models.

The rest is history.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Take a look at what he earns, then think again about pitying him. It's easy to tell people how bad a job others are doing, but where is your billion dollar corporation?

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Why would I be a "true fan of technology"? There's a lot of bad technology out there that I wouldn't want to be a fan of in the first place.

I'm a fan of technology that puts a priority on User Experience above all else. This necessarily precludes horizontal integration/horizontal business models.

The rest is history.

So explain to me how the XBox 360/Live w/Kinect is not full vertical integration? Or that MSFT doesn't produce highly-lauded technology?

Microsoft makes XBox 360 hard drive

XBox Kinect wins T3 gadget of the year of award

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Take a look at what he earns, then think again about pitying him. It's easy to tell people how bad a job others are doing, but where is your billion dollar corporation?

The drug dealer down the street makes a lot of money, too.

Carol Bartz pulled in $14 million for leaving Yahoo.

$35 million for bogus expense reports? The winner is: HP's Mark Hurd.

Some of the most incompetent CEOs are also the ones that pull in (or "earn", LOL) big dollars.

Hardly impressive, and certainly not worth emulating.

MS is not Ballmer's billion-dollar corporation. He was the sales guy that was put there by Bill Gates (MS being *his* billion-dollar corporation.) And we're seeing today that it wasn't the smartest decision.

So explain to me how the XBox 360/Live w/Kinect is not full vertical integration? Or that MSFT doesn't produce highly-lauded technology?

Microsoft makes XBox 360 hard drive

XBox Kinect wins T3 gadget of the year of award

I wish I were a bigger Halo fan or whatever. I don't really envision myself fragging zombies anymore or fishing **** out of a high-polygon count toilet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpOf9dQbtM.) Or jumping around in front of wall-mounted cameras. Is that my loss? Perhaps.

Last edited:

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I wish I were a bigger Halo fan or whatever. I don't really envision myself fragging zombies anymore or fishing **** out of a high-polygon count toilet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpOf9dQbtM.) Or jumping around in front of wall-mounted cameras. Is that my loss? Perhaps.

Ah so ridicule a certain type of gaming because you want to pump up iOS gaming. That's so enlightened of you.:rolleyes:

Your elitism sickens me.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The drug dealer down the street makes a lot of money, too.

Carol Bartz pulled in $14 million for leaving Yahoo.

$35 million for bogus expense reports? The winner is: HP's Mark Hurd.

Some of the most incompetent CEOs are also the ones that pull in (or "earn", LOL) big dollars.

Hardly impressive, and certainly not worth emulating.

MS is not Ballmer's billion-dollar corporation. He was the sales guy that was put there by Bill Gates (MS being *his* billion-dollar corporation.) And we're seeing today that it wasn't the smartest decision.

I didn't say he owned it, but he does run it and makes the big bucks. I'd take that over whining on an internet forum any day. How is making a million dollar salary not worth emulating?! Surely you must be trolling now...

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I didn't say he owned it, but he does run it and makes the big bucks. I'd take that over whining on an internet forum any day. How is making a million dollar salary not worth emulating?! Surely you must be trolling now...

Another thing to point out - Ballmer is CEO of a massive corporation and the pressure on him must be immense. I would NOT want to be in his shoes and *LTD* has no appreciation of what that pressure is.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

No. He's one of the most incompetent CEOs in recent memory. He's being paid to run MS into the ground. Delusion and denial. It just affects some (like RIM, HP, Palm) quite a bit sooner than others.

Salaries are not proportional to ability and achievement in corporate America, unfortunately.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
No. He's one of the most incompetent CEOs in recent memory. He's being paid to run MS into the ground. Delusion and denial. It just affects some (like RIM, HP, Palm) quite a bit sooner than others.

Salaries are not proportional to ability and achievement in corporate America, unfortunately.

Ballmer makes far less salary the most CEOs and his company actually has the highest profit margin in the industry.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
No. He's one of the most incompetent CEOs in recent memory in my opinon. I think he's being paid to run MS into the ground. Delusion and denial. It just affects some (like RIM, HP, Palm) quite a bit sooner than others.

Well he certainly isn't doing a very good job of running the company into the ground, so I agree he's incompetent in that respect. I've also fixed your post (see the bold) to reflect reality. Honestly, if he was doing a bad job they would have gotten rid of him. The only delusion I see is in your posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.