Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I wont be attempting an iphone repair after I failed miserably trying to replace my screen on my old iphone 4 a year ago lol. Thanks though.

Sometimes you get lucky. This forum is filled wine people who coughs the right genius at the right time and got new replacement phones. Be honest and be polite. You never know.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Note to self, do not decline AppleCare+ on her next iPhone.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Note to self, do not decline AppleCare+ on her next iPhone.
I'm not sure I would buy AppleCare+ unless she accidentally damages the phone 2 times per year. Because AppleCare+ costs $99 upfront then $79 if you have to use it. Whereas if the screen was the only issue it would be cheaper to pay for a screen replacement. But if this is something that frequently happens it may be worth it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm not sure I would buy AppleCare+ unless she accidentally damages the phone 2 times per year. Because AppleCare+ costs $99 upfront then $79 if you have to use it. Whereas if the screen was the only issue it would be cheaper to pay for a screen replacement. But if this is something that frequently happens it may be worth it.

Its actually 2 phones over 2 years period.
So if you plan on keeping the phone for 2 years its well worth it.
A one time out of warranty replacement for my 6 plus would cost me $329. With applecare plus including original purchase and deductible it will cost $178.
And just another $79 if I had another incident.

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When I can I buy AC+. Not because I am clumsy and I certainly have never required an ADH from my own hand. I get AC+ to protect myself from the accident prone people I work with.

Financially, it's also just easier to pay $99 up front and eat $79 per ADH then it is for the cost of screen repair or OoW.

That said, I couldn't afford it with my 6+ this time around, but I'm covered with Sprint's TEP - which, unlike AC+ includes loss and theft.

Reactions: Applejuiced

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Its actually 2 phones over 2 years period.
So if you plan on keeping the phone for 2 years its well worth it.
A one time out of warranty replacement for my 6 plus would cost me $329. With applecare plus including original purchase and deductible it will cost $178.
My mistake I read it incorrectly, you are correct it would be for 2 phones over the 2 year period. For some reason I interpreted as 2 phones per year. Thanks for the correction as I don't like to give out incorrect information.

I guess because of the luck I've had with my phones, I don't see the actual value of it. I've had 5 iPhones (3G, 4, 5, 5S, 6) and if I had purchased AppleCare on all of them I would have spent an extra $500. So to me if I do have to pay for an out of warranty it is still less, although I really hope I do not have to. But with all warranties or additional coverage it's really YMMY.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I hear you, Im pretty careful in general but with kids around and they always want to play with my phone I figured I'd get it just incase. The 6 Plus is expensive to replace and Im going to stay with it for another year till the next iPhone 7 is out.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
So we have an appointment this evening at the Apple Store, we'll see how it goes.....Not sure what it hit when the phone fell, but it punctured the screen and it's completely out. When she dropped it, she panicked and accidently stepped on it when trying to retrieve it and it does have a slight bend on the top right portion of the phone. The phone is still functional, minus the screen and touch.

I absolutely hate that Apple requires you to enter the passcode if you restart the phone. Yesterday, she has a daily alarm that would not turn off so I did a hard restart, well in doing so I forgot about the passcode requirement and now I can't back up her phone through iTunes.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015

She's bad with phones, and I completely regret thinking a case would've been enough. I'd rather pay the $99 up front and then $79 per incident vs what people are telling me which could potentially be $329, I'll find out soon enough :(

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
She's bad with phones, and I completely regret thinking a case would've been enough. I'd rather pay the $99 up front and then $79 per incident vs what people are telling me which could potentially be $329, I'll find out soon enough :(
This is EXACTLY why I get AC+ when I can. Not for me, not because I am clumsy (although I often am) but because of OTHER people.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
"How much im out of pocket!"

None? It is your wifes phone... And when she start paying her stuff herself, maybe she is more careful...

Reactions: IrrationalFanboy

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I wont be attempting an iphone repair after I failed miserably trying to replace my screen on my old iphone 4 a year ago lol. Thanks though.

The iPhone 4 and 4S had to basically be disassembled entirely to get the screen apart because they were built from front to back. The iPhone 5/5S/5C/6/6+ are all made so the screen is the first thing that comes off, meaning they were built from back to front.

If you click through iFixit's walkthrough, you take the two bottom screws out, pop the screen open from the bottom portion of the display, then unscrew four screws near the top-right portion that are holding down the cables. Pop the cables from their connectors and boom, the display assembly is off.

The only thing to do then before swapping for the new display would be to transfer the home button to the new display assembly, which is held down by the final two screws.

So when I said it's only eight screws, I meant it. The suction cup is used to pry the display up.

The other link I pointed to was for the display assembly, but for $5 USD more you can buy the kit that includes all of the tools, including the pentalobe screwdriver, a #00 phillips screwdriver, the suction cup, and two plastic opening tools to pull the display connectors free.

It is a super simple repair job. All in all your first time it should take you no more than thirty minutes, tops. After you get used to opening these, you can swap an assembly like this in under ten minutes.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Fair enough, hopefully you'll get a genius who is generous and they'll just replace the phone overlooking the screen due to the phone being bent.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
The iPhone 4 and 4S had to basically be disassembled entirely to get the screen apart because they were built from front to back. The iPhone 5/5S/5C/6/6+ are all made so the screen is the first thing that comes off, meaning they were built from back to front.

Funny thing is I got curious and Youtube'd DIY iphone 6 screen replacement and you are right, it is much much easier to replace. The only thing is the phone housing is slightly bent (cant even tell with the case on it). I'm going to see what my wife wants to do once Apple tells us how much they are going to charge.

"How much im out of pocket!"

None? It is your wifes phone... And when she start paying her stuff herself, maybe she is more careful...

Lol. I wouldn't do that to my stay at home wife who went through hell 9 months ago and gave me the greatest gift ever. And I don't blame her, it happens. It's my fault for not getting the AC+.

Fair enough, hopefully you'll get a genius who is generous and they'll just replace the phone overlooking the screen due to the phone being bent.

I can only hope! Otherwise I may just buy a replacement screen myself and get it swapped and then upgrade her to the 6s plus when it comes out. Oh and I WILL be getting AC+ if so lol.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Lol. I wouldn't do that to my stay at home wife who went through hell 9 months ago and gave me the greatest gift ever. And I don't blame her, it happens. It's my fault for not getting the AC+.

Yeah. My wife takes care of all the sh**work with the kids and home, makes my dinner and cleans up after me - and never complains about it. She takes most of my crap and still loves me.

All I do is show up at work, punch a clock and collect my paycheck every two weeks.

My job to take care of stuff like this.

So, I totally get where you're coming from.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Update: I paid $0 out of pocket. :-D

I got the coolest Apple employee! Explained to him how it happened and he basically said I'm getting you a new one. I am one lucky guy!
Exactly! As long as you're polite and honest with Apple employees they will generally take care of you. It's the people who act like a--hats who they will charge. That is awesome they replaced it for you for free! Thanks for the update.

Reactions: willmtaylor

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Problem is iPhone screen seems to get damaged more than other screens so even with a case on it...it might not be enough.

I've never dropped a phone so i don't think i would take it out on the 6S plus as i only plan on keeping it for a year.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Update: I paid $0 out of pocket. :-D

I got the coolest Apple employee! Explained to him how it happened and he basically said I'm getting you a new one. I am one lucky guy!
Thats awesome

you're lucky...or just very charming ha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.