Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I typically lose 0-1% overnight. 2% at the most. It probably helps that I don't use push notifications.

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
I loose about 5 percent a night. This is with "Do not disturb" on. On 7.1.2 I only lost like 1-2 percent, now Im losing up to 5 percent.

Could this be from iOS 8?

----------

I loose about 5 percent a night. This is with "Do not disturb" on. On 7.1.2 I only lost like 1-2 percent, now Im losing up to 5 percent.

Could this be from iOS 8?

Tonight I'm going to try a little experiment. I closed out all of the apps in my RAM, and Ill see if there is an app that is using the battery. If I only loose 1-2 percent, its gotta be an app thats using it. If I still loose 5 percent, its iOS 8

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Both my iPhone 5 and now my iPhone 6 lose about a percentage per hour overnight while my phone sits untouched and unplugged with Do Not Disturb enabled. That's 8% over an 8-hour night. This to me seems very excessive, considering it should be doing almost nothing beyond receiving a few push notifications.

I could almost get two days worth of battery if I go to bed with 50% remaining, but when I wake up and it's down to 42%, that's not going to cut it. What's everyone else's experience? Thanks!

Dude me too! After 8.0.2, my i6 drains on average 7-8% overnight, that is way too much, I dont understand what is going on

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Enabled airplane mode last night, still lost 2% in 8hrs. Better than 5-8%, but still not as good as the iPad.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Dude me too! After 8.0.2, my i6 drains on average 7-8% overnight, that is way too much, I dont understand what is going on

This is actually very good. 10% loss is the norm.

Ipads loose less as they don't have a cellular radio. This is what sucks battery. The weaker your signal the greater the loss.

Put it in flight mode and you should only get a 1-2% loss.

RByers8252

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I get my 6+ to 100% before falling asleep. I don't turn anything off. Wifi and Bluetooth are always enabled. When I wake up it has been at 99-100%

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
What we're discussing is more akin to parking your car in the garage at night with half a tank of gas left in it and coming to find the next morning that another quarter of a tank leaked out onto the floor while you were asleep. You wouldn't want to fix the leak?

Haha, I like this! :D

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
What we're discussing is more akin to parking your car in the garage at night with half a tank of gas left in it and coming to find the next morning that another quarter of a tank leaked out onto the floor while you were asleep. You wouldn't want to fix the leak?

Difference is your car isn't running. Even when you phone is not in use it's still doing plenty of things.

One large power eater is a poor Cellular or WiFi signal. This will make your iPhone crank up its antenna gain to stay connected.

For me, I always plug it in when I'm sleeping.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
On iOS 8.0.0 I lost 0%. After upgrading to 8.0.1, lost 2% percent... I thought iOS 8.0.2 was supposed to be better than 8.0.0.....

jamespa66

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Kenosha, WI
I lose about 70% over night, but then again I work 3rd shift and thats when I use my phone the most. :rolleyes: While I'm sleeping at most I lose 2-3%. This is with my 5S. Still waiting for my 6+ to get shipped :mad:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ipads loose less as they don't have a cellular radio. This is what sucks battery. The weaker your signal the greater the loss.
I've got cellular iPads and standby and web browsing time isn't really noticeably worse compared to wifi only models. iPads have massive batteries that the cellular radio don't really put a significant dent on battery life. The screen is the biggest power drain. On my iPad 4 with screen off, I've gotten over 50 hours of usage with screen off and just using it as a wifi hotspot.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
This is actually very good. 10% loss is the norm.

Put it in flight mode and you should only get a 1-2% loss.

No thats too much, I used to have less standby drain with 8.0, the iPhones are rates to get 250 hrs of standby time lol.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

If I left my car running at night I would expect it to use gas. If you don't want the phone to lose charge then turn it off like you should your car. I usually turn my car off when I get home.

I have to agree with other posters though.... I just plug my phone in at night. If I was at 50 percent when I went to bed at night, I woukd realize that had I unplugged it that morning, I went through 50 percent in say 15 hours... So to expect 2 full days would be a poor assumption: I wouldn't leave it uncharged for the night unless I knew I would be charging during the following day.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Difference is your car isn't running. Even when you phone is not in use it's still doing plenty of things.

One large power eater is a poor Cellular or WiFi signal. This will make your iPhone crank up its antenna gain to stay connected.

For me, I always plug it in when I'm sleeping.
If I left my car running at night I would expect it to use gas. If you don't want the phone to lose charge then turn it off like you should your car. I usually turn my car off when I get home.

I have to agree with other posters though.... I just plug my phone in at night. If I was at 50 percent when I went to bed at night, I woukd realize that had I unplugged it that morning, I went through 50 percent in say 15 hours... So to expect 2 full days would be a poor assumption: I wouldn't leave it uncharged for the night unless I knew I would be charging during the following day.

A couple of things, guys:

1. I used to be able to get 2 days of use off one charge; losing 8% a night started just in the past few months for me, before iOS 8 and while I was still using an iPhone 5. I chalked the issue up to being the battery on my iPhone 5 getting old, but the issue carried over to my iPhone 6.

2. I leave the iPad on at night and the battery life is the same in the morning as it was the night before. So "leaving the car running" doesn't really seem to explain it.

3. Cellular signal on the phone at home is 4/5 dots LTE, so weak signal doesn't seem to apply either.

4. 1% a night would be acceptable. 1% per hour seems extremely excessive, especially considering it means the phone couldn't reach even half of Apple's claimed "standby mode" battery life figures.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
Took it off the charger right before bed, 100%. Woke up and it was still 100%, showed 20 mins use and 8ish hours stand by. Impressive

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
Took it off the charger right before bed, 100%. Woke up and it was still 100%, showed 20 mins use and 8ish hours stand by. Impressive

kwando

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
DA6DD91A-592D-49DB-92BB-E4F347943020_zps1xmyvt9w.png

CCD29EE2-ADAD-4CED-9FF6-86BBF7EBDF01_zpsfxq0ylyf.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.