Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hi!
I have some apple gift certificates and am $30 short of a 30 GB iPod video. Can I get at least $30 for an 4 gig iPod mini? For that matter, how much can I get in total? I mean, apple sells refurb iPod minis for $140. Anything less than $80 for a device that was originally $250 would really be a ripoff.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think you've answered your own question haven't you? If it's in decent condition you should be able to sell it for more than $30. I'm not sure that Apple will actually trade it in so you might have to sell it elsewhere.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
ChrisBrightwell said:
Does Apple take trade-in hardware and give you credit for it?

I'll give you $30 for it. :cool:
i do have over 300 posts, but until my accounts are properly merged, i probably shouldn't be doing any buying or selling anything. i would rather not pay shipping anyway. ill just give it to my mom. she really wants an iPod.

EDIT: UPDATE: just called apple and they said they can't buy your iPod. shucks!

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
if you go to an apple store, and give them your iPod, they will give you ten percent off a new one the same day. That amounts to about $30 off a 30GB, but you could get more for it somewhere else. I suspect not much more than $80 or $100 though.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
feelthefire said:
if you go to an apple store, and give them your iPod, they will give you ten percent off a new one the same day. That amounts to about $30 off a 30GB, but you could get more for it somewhere else. I suspect not much more than $80 or $100 though.
does this even work if the one you are buying is a refurb?

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
thanks to everyone for the help, but i think ill just get the iPod at the apple store. it's still free for me, and it's easy:)

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
wmmk said:
does this even work if the one you are buying is a refurb?

I don't know, but I didn't know you could purchase a refurb product at the physical apple store, which is where you have to go to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.