Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Of course, on cue, a little over a month after my Applecare Service runs out, my eMac purchased in late 2003 starts showing issues. The issue is DVD playback. All the movies I've tried to play in the computer either: A) Don't mount, and eject shortly after I insert them or B) Will Mount, but the drive begins to start making noise, a clicking sound, almost like the arm of the drive is trying to read the DVD but fails to. Doing this prevents me from ejecting the DVD as well. (Edit: And now it just made a sound I can liken best to a Cat meowing...sounded like the drive motor speeding up and then slowing down very quickly.)

As you can probably figure, this isn't making me a happy camper. Now I'll have to pay $100+ for labor and another $100+ for a part for something that two months ago would have been taken care of no problem. :(

Edit 2: I guess my other question is whether or not anyone has had luck with Apple offering services outside of the Applecare period. I purchased Applecare but I haven't used it once during the life of the computer.

Edit 3: Worst case scenario, and I have to replace the drive on this thing myself, where can I get internal DVD drives that are Mac-Compatible?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Of course, on cue, a little over a month after my Applecare Service runs out, my eMac purchased in late 2003 starts showing issues. The issue is DVD playback. All the movies I've tried to play in the computer either: A) Don't mount, and eject shortly after I insert them or B) Will Mount, but the drive begins to start making noise, a clicking sound, almost like the arm of the drive is trying to read the DVD but fails to. Doing this prevents me from ejecting the DVD as well. (Edit: And now it just made a sound I can liken best to a Cat meowing...sounded like the drive motor speeding up and then slowing down very quickly.)

As you can probably figure, this isn't making me a happy camper. Now I'll have to pay $100+ for labor and another $100+ for a part for something that two months ago would have been taken care of no problem. :(

Edit 2: I guess my other question is whether or not anyone has had luck with Apple offering services outside of the Applecare period. I purchased Applecare but I haven't used it once during the life of the computer.

is that a superdrive pioneer dvr-106d or something?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Found the "Apple Genuine" drive on OWC's site, now to see if I can find a useful install guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.