Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

je1ani

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Well, most of the movies in my collection are all 480p (DVD) resolution. I have a couple that are 720p, but getting a good 720p encode under 4GB is really, really tough.

At this point I am just ignoring HD encodes and sticking with 480p encodes.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I have been forming a very respectable DVD collection but I am now just getting started with HD and have about 10 movies so far in the past 3 days. i guess I will just keep ripping until a solution comes up. Anyways have any of you tried a hardware encoding device like the elgato usb encoder?

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I have been forming a very respectable DVD collection but I am now just getting started with HD and have about 10 movies so far in the past 3 days. i guess I will just keep ripping until a solution comes up. Anyways have any of you tried a hardware encoding device like the elgato usb encoder?

10 movies HD in 10. WOW...

Well I'm forming a DVD collection as well and in a way its actually quiet pleasing as I can myself decide the quality. Also I love the fact that the special features on the bonus dvd's are rippeable.

HD is appealing and well worth the search but I there are so many different bitrates and thus quality. I'm going to stick choosing my own bitrate and quality with DVDs

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
Mostly kids movies, but ends up working great when sync'ed to my :apple:TVmini...no more smudgy scratched DVDs!!

Every episode of Seinfeld and CYE. Also tagged our home movies into a "TV Show" (why isn't there a Video Kind for home movies??!!), now easily accessible with over 300 clips from over 15 years. Also great on the :apple:TV, there's never been an easier way to have such easy access to those memories!

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Also turned our home movies into a "TV Show" (why isn't there a Video Kind for home movies??!!)

How about cartoons? I'm a Warner Bros. fan, and I have to do them as "tv shows" too.

Sigh.

I'm almost ready to start getting cranky, demanding an update.

And no, not an update that puts $ into Steve's jeans by renting....

je1ani

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Arghh I need to tag these
71qzc4j.png

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Storage:

1 TB of Raid-0 Storage for Movies (2x 500GB GTech G-Drives) connected via FW-800
600 GB of single drive storage for TV Shows and Music connected via FW-800 (daisy chained through Raid)

Contents:

305 Movies (VisualHub - GoNuts setting)
23 TV Shows (279 items) - Combination of iTunes purchases and DVD rips using HandBrake
Music - 562 Artists, 1,373 Albums, 18,462 songs

Can I ask how iTunes behaves with such a massive library? I guess it must be pretty rapid considering the disks are on FW800.

Also, do you have any back-up for your collection?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I dont have as many movies but I have about 24000 audio tracks, about 2000 podcasts and over 500 tv shows and it works just fine. It is a little slow getting going if I start the software again but other than that it works fine.

ucflyboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
has anyone ever ripped Hairspray sucessfully? I'm still having a hard time with it.

I successfully used DVD Decrypter to rip Scarface on my Windows virtual machine. I had problems ripping it with MTR and Handbrake but DVD Decrypter did it the first time.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Could you guys please let me know how to move movies I have in the Movies folder in iTunes to the TV Shows folder?

I try and drag a video but it just "goes back".

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Could you guys please let me know how to move movies I have in the Movies folder in iTunes to the TV Shows folder?

I try and drag a video but it just "goes back".

You need to set it as a "TV Show" type, which you can do by selecting the item, selecting "get information," and then setting its type to TV Show.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
You need to set it as a "TV Show" type, which you can do by selecting the item, selecting "get information," and then setting its type to TV Show.

Aha, thank you so much, this solved the problem.

What is supposed to go into the Episode ID field?

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 83

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Guys,
It has been so fun and interesting reading through this thread. Some of you have some REALLY nice content floating around on your iTunes!

I need some advice. I am just about to start my DVD ripping experience... I just bought a brand new 2.8Ghz iMac with 4GB RAM and a 750GB hard drive, and am going to start ripping as soon as I get it!

Could you please break down the most important things to remember... the things that you wish you had known right away... the programs to start with... and basically all the lessons/advice you've learned along the way?

So far, I think I am going to be starting with Handbrake and the AppleTV preset, and that is about all I know. Any help you could offer would be most appreciated!

One specific question I had was regarding TV show DVDs. Is there a way to make Handbrake rip all of the episodes on the DVD without me coming back to it after each episode? Or is that not an option?

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Guys,
One specific question I had was regarding TV show DVDs. Is there a way to make Handbrake rip all of the episodes on the DVD without me coming back to it after each episode? Or is that not an option?

Load the disk, then for each title add it to the queue - then encode them automatically one after each other.

You will want to be using MetaX for adding tags after encoding.

Note that I use CRF rather than the AppleTV preset, you get great results with less bits than the ATV preset. This is what I use (I run it from the CLI - because I like to automate things - I'm just perverse like that).

time $HB -i "$FROM/$dvd" -o "$TO/$dvd.mp4" -e x264 --quality 0.66 --ab 256 --markers -
-verbose --loosePixelratio --x264opts keyint=250:keyint-min=25:bframes=6:ref=3:subq=5:
me=umh:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1:trellis=0:vbv-maxrate=4900:vbv-bufsize=3000:no-dct
-decimate=1 --subtitle-scan --native-language eng --subtitle-force --deblock --denoise
=weak --longest 2> "$TO/$dvd.log"

I would recommend that you not encode anything right now until the new ATV software is available so that the HB team can update the app to use whatever scheme Apple are using for DD 5.1.

Cheers, Ed.

radpanic

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone else get their artwork from here?

http://www.impawards.com

I have yet to search for a movie they didn't have a high-res poster for...

I only have about 60 gigs free on my MyBook Terabyte drive, full of 720p mp4s (just about time to buy more space). I only add meta tags to TV shows. I leave the tags off the movies so the poster art remains as large as possible when I'm browsing on the :apple:tv. I suppose one day I may add tags to the movies, but that's becoming less and less likely as my collection grows.

I started out with the intention of only storing major movie releases, that I'd want to watch multiple times. But I've found that the selection of available movies is so vast, I can't help but accumulate even the minor flicks, just because having 720p content at my fingertips with a few clicks of the Apple Remote is so dang sexy! I'd recommend this setup to anyone. The only drawback is all the hours of conversion from mkv->mp4, which is extremely slow on my 1.83 GHz Core Duo iMac.

Funny story, I went on vacation this Spring, and before leaving for 6 days I set up VisualHub to convert 30 mkv files while I was away. Click start, drive to the beach and stay for nearly a week, drive home, wake up my iMac's display. VisualHub is still chugging along strong, still working on 29 of 30. LOL. I almost had the timing down perfect.

Thanks for the awesome link and funny story!

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
I just ripped a few dvds using handbrake but when i try to use metaX, it says it could not or data would be lost. any help?

wmealer

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
I'm a noob with all this so forgive me if it's an elementary question. How do you get the black background? Thanks.

Calling yourself a noob is an insult to noobs everywhere. :eek:

Uber-noob, maybe? Just kidding, I know we all have to start somewhere.

annaj

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
Calling yourself a noob is an insult to noobs everywhere. :eek:

Uber-noob, maybe? Just kidding, I know we all have to start somewhere.

if you're going to chastise the poor guy - at least try to answer his question :p
(unless someone else did, and I totally missed it)
if not, and you haven't figured it out on your onw - the black background is automatic when you are in the album view mode. It's the middle button, or you can change modes by using the view menu in the toolbar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.