Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How protective are you of your Apple Watch?

• Total voters

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I voted I just put it on and forget it. Though probably not 100% true.

I dont wear a leather strap to work out or do gardening/DIY. If I am doing gardening/DIY I put on a sweat band over the watch to protect it.

Never worn a case on a watch or screen protector...to me it is a watch not a phone.

That said always had SS and Ultras with Sapphire screens (except a short stint on a S4 that was aluminium and scratched to bits :) )

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I voted I just put it on and forget it. Though probably not 100% true.

I dont wear a leather strap to work out or do gardening/DIY. If I am doing gardening/DIY I put on a sweat band over the watch to protect it.

Never worn a case on a watch or screen protector...to me it is a watch not a phone.

That said always had SS and Ultras with Sapphire screens (except a short stint on a S4 that was aluminium and scratched to bits :) )
I think having a case on a watch is pretty ridiculous.

I am very careful with my watch, but putting a case on it is a no no.

I remember you saying before, about using a sweatband for certain tasks, which I think is a great idea.

Hope you’re well, bud.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I voted I take good care of it, but I think I fall between that and baby it. I do have a case on it, as it'd bug me if it got scratched up. But because I have a case on it, I don't have to baby it. In fact, I can kind of put it on and forget about it.

And sorry about your Nan, I know you were close to her.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I usually buy aluminium and no screen protector. Never had any issues, and I did use an aluminium watch for a tough mudder. Amazingly, it survived without a scratch. Actually it's not amazing at all, it's only amazing after reading posts on here that they will scratch if you breathe on them.

I take relatively good care of it. I don't baby it, but I'm not careless either. I treat it like any other watch, in other words.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I voted I take good care of it, but I think I fall between that and baby it. I do have a case on it, as it'd bug me if it got scratched up. But because I have a case on it, I don't have to baby it. In fact, I can kind of put it on and forget about it.

And sorry about your Nan, I know you were close to her.
Thank you.

Wishing you & your loved ones a good year.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I don't baby my Ultra 2. I'm more careful maybe than most, but it holds up to a lot. Everything is on it is hard to damage, both the screen and the metal casing are very durable and scratch resistant. The U2 and my iPhone 15 PM nattyTi is holding up nicely(without a case). The metal does not scratch easily on that phone.

Now..... my raw Titanium S7 Apple Watch Edition ............

I just got a new replacement from Apple. I have been babying the ever-loving 💩 out of it. And still, I now have a large light scuff on it. "How did it happen" you might ask? I set it on its side on the lid of my clean 16" MBP M2 Max to charge. Thats the only time is wasn't set on/in cloth or leather when off my wrist. The delicacy of the raw titanium of the S7 watch is hard to comprehend.

I'm still being very careful with it as I want it to remain close to perfect, but I may stop that eventually because I do have 18 more months of AC+ and will just get another replacement before that expires.

Reactions: sd70mac

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
Semi careful. I don’t want scratch on my ultras screen? Like my S4 got. So I take it off of I can see there is any danger of that happening.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I take relatively good care of my AW. I do have AC+ on it in case something happens (and it has) and peace of mind. But I don’t put a case on my watches or anything.

Reactions: sd70mac

BeerDrinkerDan

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
If I walk near a wall or other object I turn my right arm a bit so my watch faces more inward. I use my non-watch hand to reach in to places or under or behind things. If I am cleaning something splashy (like a soapy bucket or whatever) I use my non-watch hand.

Basically: I think about it fairly often when I think I need to.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I usually buy aluminium and no screen protector. Never had any issues, and I did use an aluminium watch for a tough mudder. Amazingly, it survived without a scratch. Actually it's not amazing at all, it's only amazing after reading posts on here that they will scratch if you breathe on them.

I take relatively good care of it. I don't baby it, but I'm not careless either. I treat it like any other watch, in other words.
Word for word this is exactly me also. Except for the Tough Mudder part. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Howard2k

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I put it on and forget it. It’s pretty durable. My series 5 still looked good after 4years aside from tiny dings in the space gray aluminum. I’ve always worn my watches in the shower and pool and my series 9 is no exception

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I put mine on and then go about my day, I bang mine all the time ... I always have AC+ just in case

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
With Ultra 2, for the first time, I put a glass protector on the screen. No case, with AC+. Use it everyday and in every situation, the same as my Rolex Submariner.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Not at all. I wear my 6 while bouldering/rock climbing, and the screen it beat to death because of it. For the next one, I'll probably wear a sweatband over it.

Whatever.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Just like any other watch, including ones that cost more and will be handed down, I wear it, my life doesn’t revolve around it, but I’m not a fool with it, if I’m doing a brake job or something I take it off

Reactions: arkitect

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I've had a S3, then a S6, now a S9. All the aluminum / Ion-X varieties. All have been banged around here and there, but never suffered anything beyond one or two very superficial scratches. I wear them working on the car, in the yard, exercising, hiking... only time it comes off is to charge or sleep. I just submitted my S6 to Apple as a trade-in, actually, and despite wearing it for 3 years, I could only find one tiny nick on the side of the case.

I don't baby anything, but I'm also not prone to being a klutz. I've never broken the front or back glass on a phone, for example.

In the end, the Apple Watch is a nifty wrist-worn computer with a limited lifespan. I'm not going to fuss over it like some prized heirloom mechanical watch, that's just silly (IMO).

Reactions: Glideslope

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
Apple Watch is somehow very durable, at least the stainless model. I've had my Series 5 stainless for 3 years and it hasn't gotten any damage at all. Aluminum may be less durable, I haven't had one of those.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
According to some people on this forum, the Aluminum Apple Watch basically scratches, breaks, and shatters the second you take it out of the packaging. Strangely, my Series 6 Aluminum still looks like new, without any protection whatsoever.
Yep, I've had several watches and aluminum has always served me well.

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.