Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmaker20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2020
This is a probably a redundant thread given the mega thread for the HDMI 2.1 fix, but I thought I'd make a stand alone thread in case anyone is desperately googling how to do this (like I was) specifically for the Neo G9.

Prerequisites:

- M1 MacBook (should also work for M2 but I can't confirm)
- Cable Matters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 Adapter/Cable Matters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 Cable/Anker USB-C to HDMI 2.1 Adapter (Just listing out the known working adapters, others may also work although I wouldn't risk it personally)
- Preferably a Windows PC w/ USB-C DP capabilities (Otherwise you'll need to use Parallels to run Windows on your MacBook)
- HDMI 2.1 cable if needed (You can use the one that comes in the Neo G9's box)

The biggest prerequisite however is ensuring that your USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter has the VMM7100 chip, this is critical (for the purposes of this tutorial, the VMM6100 chip may also work as well but I can't speak to it). I personally have the Cable Matters USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter and not the cable. I can't confirm which adapters will come with which chip (as two of the same adapter might have differing chips), but likelihood is it'll be the VMM7100.
AFAIK there's no way of checking before buying, but you can check via the VMMHIDTool which you'll need to use to flash your adapter to an updated firmware.

Once you've got your adapter, plug it into your Windows PC/MacBook. You'll then want to download the firmware attached here and open VMMDPTool64.exe. Keep in mind that if you're running Windows via Parallels, then you'll need to download VMMHIDTool from the Windows Store and use that instead.

Now if you open the tool you'll be able to see which chip your adapter uses (see where it says "CHIP ID" towards the top in the Debug tab). Here you should see VMM7100. If not, then DO NOT proceed with flashing (you'll risk ending up with a bricked adapter). If you've verified that your adapter has a VMM7100 chip then you can go on over to the FLASH tab and click "Load to FLASH". From here you can select the Spyder_fw_USBC_CM_7.02.112forMac.fullrom file and begin flashing the firmware onto your adapter. Once it's complete you should be greeted with a success pane and you should then disconnect and reconnect your adapter to your PC.

No EDID modifications/3rd party softwares are needed for this to work, it should simply be plug and play at this point. You should be able to go to the native display settings and select 5120x1440 @ 144hz from there.

I've only made a separate thread for this since I tried multiple firmwares from the mega thread (and other places on this forum) and for some reason this is the only one which worked for me. Others in that same thread also confirmed they were able to get 5120x1440 @ 120hz out of their Neo G9 as well. Please let me know if there's anything I missed/got wrong so I can update the thread. Also please let me know if you tried this and whether it worked. The attached file also has a flashing guide from Cable Matters in case I didn't explain things well enough. You can also find more info in the mega thread as well.

Attachments

• Spyder_fw_USBC_CM_7.02.112forMac.fullrom.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 143

rezafactor

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2021
Hey so I have the G9 OLED and a M1 Max MacBook. I got my 7100 Usb c to HDMI 2.1 cable today, updated the firmware, unplugged then replugged the cable, and still cannot get 5120x1400 @120 on the monitor. Any ideas?

kk123

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
Hey so I have the G9 OLED and a M1 Max MacBook. I got my 7100 Usb c to HDMI 2.1 cable today, updated the firmware, unplugged then replugged the cable, and still cannot get 5120x1400 @120 on the monitor. Any ideas?
I got the same setup recently, on G9 OLED I'm only able to run 5120x1440@60hz. There is 120hz option, but once selected the image turns into tv static.
The adapter I have is slightly different (201398-BLK) but it should be vmm7100 as well, and same firmware (Spyder_fw_USBC_CM_7.02.112forMac.fullrom) from cable matters customer service. It's able to run 4k@120hz (no VRR) though.
Perhaps I should try the same one that OP has, I'm alsos surpirised you can get 5120x1440@144hz because even with native DP I only get 5120x1440@120hz.

minmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
Anyone figure this out yet on OLED G9. I just got my cable matters USB-C to HDMI cable. Surprisingly already on the same firmware but did not get a resolution more 3860x1080. I flashed it with the firmware listed here and no luck. Just ordered the adaptor and hoping that can solve the issue.

Purge1382

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
I'm working through this process right now. Confirmed and flashed the vmm7100 cable. Now when I plug it into a 13 inch '20 m1 mbp I'm getting something funky. The g9 screen stays black and when I go to change source the hdmi port is still greyed out like it's not attached. But from the mbp side, I see the monitor in the display settings. I do see 5120x1440 @ 120hz which is nice but getting no display. Any thoughts?

minmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
I have tried both the adaptor and cable but did not get the resolution. Not even at 60hz. Max I can see is 3860xXXXX. I went back to using USB-C to DisplayPort which gives me 5120x1440 120hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.