Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Fluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
...without sending it away to have a card fitted.

I gather that no USB fob works reliably (have tried the D-link) and that you can't just buy an Airport Extreme internal card from the Apple Store.

I currently have a D-Link router so I am wondering about a D-link ethernet bridge (maybe the 810) but are there better ways?

Thanks

Lord Fluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Can they fit it on the spot then? That could be the winner in that case, thanks. The cards are N compatible now arent they? I'd happily fit it myself but don't want to risk voiding the warranty

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Can they fit it on the spot then? That could be the winner in that case, thanks. The cards are N compatible now arent they? I'd happily fit it myself but don't want to risk voiding the warranty

For me, it took about an hour.
I'd call first to make sure that they have stock, and have time to do an upgrade.

Oh, and I'd arrange for someone to meet you at the loading dock with a trolley. Trust me, you don't want to be carrying a Mac Pro for any great distance.

C.

Lord Fluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
How come the cards on the Apple Store claim not to be Mac Pro compatible though? Do they have some others 'under the counter' that are suitable?

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
How come the cards on the Apple Store claim not to be Mac Pro compatible though? Do they have some others 'under the counter' that are suitable?

Pretty much.
The cards on the online Apple Store are conventional cards that plug into the PCi slots or whatever. These are for G5s I guess.

The Mac Pro cards are tiny modules that slot into a tiny slot on the motherboard with screws and antennas and stuff.

C.

Lord Fluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Pretty much.

The Mac Pro cards are tiny modules that slot into a tiny slot on the motherboard with screws and antennas and stuff.

C.

Now it all makes sense - great stuff Carniphage thanks. Are they about £30 too? Do they charge to install it?

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
just curious. why would you want wireless on a non-portable computer?
bluetooth i can understand. but why wi-fi?
cable management is the only reason i can think of.

for me even with my mbp, i keep it plugged with ethernet cable whenever i can.. at least 'til i got wireless-n

Lord Fluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006

It is a fair question. The reason is that the Pro is going in a loft where there is no chance of a phone or ethernet connection. I can get a good G signal up there so once I go N it should be just dandy.

Gorion

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
cable management is the only reason i can think of.

for me even with my mbp, i keep it plugged with ethernet cable whenever i can.. at least 'til i got wireless-n

I will be putting wireless on my Mac Pro next month. Since my cable modem is downstairs, and my Mac will be upstairs, the wireless would be useful for me. (I may not get the best signal, but its better than not having any internet.)

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
get BT why you're at it

The whole thing runs about $70 in the US - airport, BT, and installation. Some apple stores charge for the installation, others view it as part of the price, btw.

Finally, once they're done, check the wiring of the antennas - very easy, you can just see it when you open the mac pro. Apple is still messing them up, and misconnection so you have limited Airport and BT range. The first time they did it for me, they didn't even connect the wires (idiots - should lose the genius t-shirt for a month). The second time, they connected them incorrectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.