Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I want the colored labels back so that the folder or file is colored, and in list view the whole line is colored.

I never changed the label names but I used the colors all the time. I never got why anyone would want to lock down the “meaning” of a colored label. There was no color picker offered, so there are only eight colors (including no color) and there are zillions of “meanings” one might assign to a particular file or folder. So obviously, context matters if you want to tag in any but the most generalized way.

Before Mavericks, the label colors, often only transiently assigned, implied different things to me in the context of their (also maybe transient) location. It was completely possible for a file to be one color and several aliases, located elsewhere, to be some other colors. Mostly it was about making the entity VISIBLE quickly within its then current context. Now that's all gone. Those colored dots are USELESS. I used label colors as attention getters. They don't work now.

The idea of tags on files and folders is all well and good, but for those who want to be able to turn a file or folder a COLOR, that should be an option, in preferences. You can still have your multiple tags as colors if you like that idea. But is it so hard for Apple to pop up the assigned tags and say "pick the icon's primary color" if someone has three colored tags on the file and yet in preferences says he wants to color the icon? Separate these ideas of ENTITY TAGS and ENTITY COLOR already, they don't belong together!

I don't know what to do now about finding my files and folders quickly. Messing with the Finder using third party stuff reminds me a little too much of pre OS X operating systems. Stuff used to break. Stuff could break now and I wouldn't know if it's the third-party stuff or the OS. Plus maybe I'd have to let unsigned application in at least for installation. I'm not saying Mavericks is a bowl of jelly but it's still a relatively new OS and surely has some unexplored corners out here in the ever-shifting real terrain

But boy do I miss what I had: being able to open a folder and see a bright orange line across the list. Yeah, baby, that's my current phone bill! The green file in a sea of shopping lists, the one for my groceries! The purple folder of gear I own and have to keep track of. Everything takes longer to locate when I'm opening files in browse mode. I'm hopping mad. When I calm down I will make a feedback to Apple.

oncfari

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Tags vs. Labels

Mavericks seems to have replaced the color labels with "tags". The problem with the tags is that it's hard to see what color tag the file is. Is there a way to color label/highlight the whole filename like before?

I HATE the tags. They are virtually useless. Please go back to the old way, which was not broken and did NOT need fixing! You could tell at a glance before how each file was categorized -- now you have to really concentrate. Seems more like something that MS would do -- NOT Apple! A really BIG disappointment! :(

PS This is also a big step backward on Calendar, where now none of my really important stuff stands out anymore. Why did you do this????

----------

Total Finder and Xtrafinder both can turn the labels on.

I agree with LizCat -- 3rd-party stuff is not for me, especially in Finder!

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I can’t believe how steamed I still am over this. Usually I let go of stuff that annoys me about "a little thing" changing in some OS upgrade, because "hey, get over it" has always been my interior mantra with OS upgrades. But that was when there seemed some shred of sense in the change. This one, I just don’t get. And it has seriously interfered with how I use a computer. There were already ways to tag files in OS X so hooking up labels to tagging just struck (and strikes) me as bizarre.

I’m unhappy enough to try one of the third-party fixes, I guess. Which one mucks around less with the OS underpinnings? In other words, if all I'm going to use the app for is to get back the option to color files/folders, what risks am I taking with anything else about the OS? Are there known conflicts with any standard OS X apps?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
There is no risk. Worst case scenario is Finder crashes and you have to restart the plugin.

Both TotalFinder and XtraFinder are actually plugins not really apps.

All they install are:
a preference file in ~/Library/Preferences
a bundle in /Library/ScriptingAdditions
and of course the app to initiate the plugin in /Applications

Both also come with uninstallers. You're being paranoid over nothing.

The only possible conflict these two apps could have would be with other 3rd party plugins for Finder.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I can’t believe how steamed I still am over this. Usually I let go of stuff that annoys me about "a little thing" changing in some OS upgrade, because "hey, get over it" has always been my interior mantra with OS upgrades. But that was when there seemed some shred of sense in the change. This one, I just don’t get. And it has seriously interfered with how I use a computer. There were already ways to tag files in OS X so hooking up labels to tagging just struck (and strikes) me as bizarre.

I’m unhappy enough to try one of the third-party fixes, I guess. Which one mucks around less with the OS underpinnings? In other words, if all I'm going to use the app for is to get back the option to color files/folders, what risks am I taking with anything else about the OS? Are there known conflicts with any standard OS X apps?

There are bugs in each. In Xtrafinder, you loose the ability to drop dragged files into the area beyond the visible name of a folder or file without running the risk of dropping the file you are dragging into a sub folder in details/list view. (kind of hard to explain without seeing) but it has to do with the perceived with of the file name which includes the color label, dot etc.

In Total Finder, you don't have that problem but, when you copy a folder into another, the folder copied stays "greyed out" looking until you click on it or refresh the finder window. This is the lesser bug as far as I'm concerned as it is just visual. I've brought it to the dev's attention, but he hasn't been able to fix it yet.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Thanks so much for that info. I had installed XtraFinder on a spare machine and hadn't encountered that bug yet, although I can see how it could happen because of the way the color is applied to the entity. It seems to make the target area look larger than it really is.

I'm tempted to keep it anyway for now. I have been so starved for being able to spot (or mark) my favorite folders inside favorite folders again, without typing much of anything. Still, whenever I first ran into that bug without having a clue it could happen, it probably would have been pretty annoying. So thanks for the heads up on that one. I'll keep an eye out for a newer Total Finder too. Thanks again :)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Apple seems to be monitoring these kinds of discussions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/26191971?ac_cid=tw123456#26191971

Me personally, i'm banned from the discussion. I think Apple doesn't want people talking negatively about this subject. Feel free to chime in... see if Apple starts to delete your posts.

Unauthorized
Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.

Try instead?:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5474093?start=1485&tstart=0

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
XtraFinder . . .

. . . doesn't give you the option of being able to use the color wheel to be able to adjust the colors on labels for your files.

rpincowes

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
I agree. I hate the new tags and hope a 3rd party brings back labels. Labels still appear to work in Pathfinder and Forklift as far as I know.

Me too, your top priorities don't stand out at all with this system. Hopeless!

Rivvvers

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
The Shire
Best 3rd party app to bring back old school functionality is Xtrafinder, and it's free.
It allows you to activate legacy colour labels so it highlights the entire name line.
Also it allows you to turn colour back on in the finder sidebar.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I'm on El Capitan OS 10.11.1 and Apple did away with the color coding completely, that I had gotten from a third party app. I tried disabling the System Integrity Protection to allow code injection by following the instructions that were given by XtraFinder and I was taken to a foreign place when my computer started up that I wasn't familiar with. So, I left and left well enough alone, since I didn't want to break anything. The instructions are very poorly written. I wish Apple/Macintosh would leave things ALONE!!!!!!! I'M TOTALLY FRUSTRATED!!!!!! Is there any hope of Apple letting us use third party apps again?!!

1Feldy

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2016
I want the colored labels back so that the folder or file is colored, and in list view the whole line is colored.

I never changed the label names but I used the colors all the time. I never got why anyone would want to lock down the “meaning” of a colored label. There was no color picker offered, so there are only eight colors (including no color) and there are zillions of “meanings” one might assign to a particular file or folder. So obviously, context matters if you want to tag in any but the most generalized way.

Before Mavericks, the label colors, often only transiently assigned, implied different things to me in the context of their (also maybe transient) location. It was completely possible for a file to be one color and several aliases, located elsewhere, to be some other colors. Mostly it was about making the entity VISIBLE quickly within its then current context. Now that's all gone. Those colored dots are USELESS. I used label colors as attention getters. They don't work now.

The idea of tags on files and folders is all well and good, but for those who want to be able to turn a file or folder a COLOR, that should be an option, in preferences. You can still have your multiple tags as colors if you like that idea. But is it so hard for Apple to pop up the assigned tags and say "pick the icon's primary color" if someone has three colored tags on the file and yet in preferences says he wants to color the icon? Separate these ideas of ENTITY TAGS and ENTITY COLOR already, they don't belong together!

I don't know what to do now about finding my files and folders quickly. Messing with the Finder using third party stuff reminds me a little too much of pre OS X operating systems. Stuff used to break. Stuff could break now and I wouldn't know if it's the third-party stuff or the OS. Plus maybe I'd have to let unsigned application in at least for installation. I'm not saying Mavericks is a bowl of jelly but it's still a relatively new OS and surely has some unexplored corners out here in the ever-shifting real terrain

But boy do I miss what I had: being able to open a folder and see a bright orange line across the list. Yeah, baby, that's my current phone bill! The green file in a sea of shopping lists, the one for my groceries! The purple folder of gear I own and have to keep track of. Everything takes longer to locate when I'm opening files in browse mode. I'm hopping mad. When I calm down I will make a feedback to Apple.
[doublepost=1466292477][/doublepost]Maybe you found this by now: I just discovered that PathFinder for Mac app does this. Just signed up for the free trial. I found some complaints about Version 7 re Macbook, but most other reviews look ok / favorable. Cost is $39.95; $19.95 for upgrades only if purchased from the developer. (I'm not associated with them.)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
[doublepost=1466292477][/doublepost]Maybe you found this by now: I just discovered that PathFinder for Mac app does this. Just signed up for the free trial. I found some complaints about Version 7 re Macbook, but most other reviews look ok / favorable. Cost is $39.95; $19.95 for upgrades only if purchased from the developer. (I'm not associated with them.)

Thanks for the info. When I finally installed El Capitan on my machines awhile back, I didn't install most third party apps (including the Total Finder I had been using before), since I hadn't checked out their compatibility and I'm really pretty busy with other stuff this time of year.

I don't know if I will pursue another app to restore color coding, if one even works properly now. I do really hate cluttering my setup with third party apps that mess with cosmetic aspects of the file system since you never really know when something will break. Stlll, I miss my colored lines in list view... I may revisit the issue after macOS Sierra comes out.

mizmarz

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Forgive my directness but that is one of the dumbest things I have read on any forum... EVER!
Whether on MR or CNET or other sites, lots of people used to full-line labels are having MORE DIFFICULTY DOING THEIR WORK NOW!!!

The reason why I use a Mac is because I am visually oriented and visual clues make it easier. I am not a database manager. I do not want to relabel, sorry, retag all my folders and files. I have existing folders that had files with 3 types of labels and I could find the files easily based on the color of the whole line.
If those labels made it easier for visual people like us, why would Apple want to take that away from us? Us visual people are those who bought Macs over windows during the lean years of the mid to late 90s. We kept Apple alive. Now Apple is slapping us down and telling us that there is more utility by typing things out. If you call "progress" forcing people to adjust to something that takes longer to learn and is less useful for them personally, then call me regressive if you want, but your vision of progress is leading down the road to DOS.

Is this Cupertino 2013 or is this Redmond 1984?!

It's 2017 and we're still having this same problem (lack of functionality where once it was easy). Please contact Apple, Y'all!

Why do people want this back anyway? I can understand that the brightly coloured labels help with distinguishing files quickly, but isn’t it a good idea to embrace the sidebar or use Spotlight? A quick “tag:blue” will filter out the correct tags in that folder.

That requires extra steps, which slows the work flow. It also throws everything into the 'tag folder', so it makes it harder to find the labeled files or folders on just one drive, for example. Bad 'redesign'. WHY take away functionality (even if not everyone uses it, there were plenty of us that did). WHY make us us third party software to do something that MAC OS was doing just fine!? Sidebar doesn't have the same functionality. And Spotlight doesn't even have the colored tags- you need to click back through to "Show all in Finder" to get back to the same lame dot tags. Waste of time and keystrokes and mouse moves.

Agreed: please send your feedback to Apple here- why can't you bring back full field file and folder labels!?!?!:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.