Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
ClickToFlash doesn't block the embedded video ads that are being discussed in this thread.

it gives me a whole different player interface. no ads embedded anywhere

t5jhi8.jpg

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
it gives me a whole different player interface. no ads embedded anywhere
I've been using ClickToFlash for a very long time. It blocks Flash content from playing at all, unless you click to enable it. Once enabled, any embedded video ads will play before the desired video. Use the link in post #15 as an example. Again, these are not pop-up ads, but are video advertisements that play before the desired content is played, all within the same video window.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I've been using ClickToFlash for a very long time. It blocks Flash content from playing at all, unless you click to enable it. Once enabled, any embedded video ads will play before the desired video. Use the link in post #15 as an example. Again, these are not pop-up ads, but are video advertisements that play before the desired content is played, all within the same video window.

weird, then i dont understand why it doesnt for me. thats the player when i disable the plugin in safari

34eawco.jpg

as you can see in the post above its different. i know what ads you mean, i get them on my iPhone but never on my mac

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
weird, then i dont understand why it doesnt for me. thats the player when i disable the plugin in safari

as you can see in the post above its different. i know what ads you mean, i get them on my iPhone but never on my mac
Again, use the link in post #15 to test. The video ad that plays at the beginning is what ClickToFlash will not block.
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 5.22.34 PM.PNG

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
nope went straight to the Eiffel tower video. just checked my adblocker settings, it has a "ClickToFlash" compatible mode, not sure if that matters
Is ClickToFlash the only extension you have installed? I've been happy with it, but it doesn't block everything, so I've used other extensions, as well (AdBlock, Adblock Plus, JavaScript Blocker), and none of them blocked the embedded video ads.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
i use "ClickToFlash" which forces videos on youtube to play in HTML5. I havent seen an ad on youtube in years

I presently don't have Flash player installed and I have not, so far, needed Flash for any of the videos I have attempted to play on YouTube.

----------

Is ClickToFlash the only extension you have installed? I've been happy with it, but it doesn't block everything, so I've used other extensions, as well (AdBlock, Adblock Plus, JavaScript Blocker), and none of them blocked the embedded video ads.

Could the difference be the region where the YouTube video is playing?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Could the difference be the region where the YouTube video is playing?
Region might have something to do with it, but it's not just YouTube. The example I posted is from the CNN website. It's possible that they run ads in one country, but don't run the ads in another country.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Name one adblocker that will block embedded video ads on YouTube or CNN. I have several, and none of them block that type of ad.

For example, name one adblocker that will block the ad at the beginning of this video without blocking the entire video.

ublock (using it with google chrome atm haven't tried it with safari yet) blocked that video ad with no issues for me, and also blocks youtube video ads.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ublock (using it with google chrome atm haven't tried it with safari yet) blocked that video ad with no issues for me, and also blocks youtube video ads.
I'm currently testing Adguard, which so far appears to do the job. I haven't had time to test it thoroughly, but initially it looks good.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
If you read the title of this thread, you'll see we are discussing blocking ads on Safari, not Firefox.

And if you took the time to read the thread you'd see I was responding to Your question "Name one adblocker that will block embedded video ads on YouTube or CNN." No mention of Safari!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And if you took the time to read the thread you'd see I was responding to GGJstudios and his question "Name one adblocker that will block embedded video ads on YouTube or CNN." No mention of Safari!
My post was made within the context of the thread. It's not necessary to repeat "Safari" in every post. People who are reading the thread would know that's the browser we're discussing.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I can confirm Adguard is blocking pre-roll YouTube ads - I am seeing a small fraction of a second of the pre-roll ad (maybe 3-4 frames only) then it goes to content. If I'm not looking intently at the screen, I might even miss that.

Cool!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can confirm Adguard is blocking pre-roll YouTube ads - I am seeing a small fraction of a second of the pre-roll ad (maybe 3-4 frames only) then it goes to content. If I'm not looking intently at the screen, I might even miss that.
I'm getting similar results so far. Looks good!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
AdTrap.

http://www.getadtrap.com

I love mine. Had it about a year now. Removes ads from iTunes Radio, Pandora, Hulu, all youtube and other website videos, as well as all banners, popups and other static/gif ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.